Right front suspension clunk

rkdavies

Buick Ownership
verano
My wife inherited her dad's 2010 LaCrosse with 35K. Very nice, smooth ride. One exception: a very noticeable right front clunk over bumps. I checked the visible components. The ball joint, tie rods, bushings. No play or deterioration noticeable. Now 35K miles later and it's not changed. I passed it off as the upper strut bearing. A few weeks ago I picked up a 2013 Verano with 30K. Very nice car except a very noticeable right front clunk. A little louder than the Lacrosse. Again no play or wear noted in the front end. I'm again thinking it's the upper strut bearing. Does the strut bearing sound likely. Is it something pretty typical in these cars? If it is the bearing is there an upgrade to reduce the reoccurrence?

Smith1000

Buick Ownership
Buick
Is the center nut tight on the top of the strut? I had strut bearings fail on a 2007 Buick Lucerne and they did not clunk like that. Instead, they kind of popped when turning the vehicle. One the driver's side the bearings failed twice. The bearing housing was changed to plastic to reduce weight and it would compress and fail.

rkdavies

Buick Ownership
verano
Thanks for the comments. I looked at the sway bar links. They are tight. I should be asking about the strut mount, not just the bearing. I ordered a GM strut mount. I'll throw that in there to see if it takes care of the clunk. It's only $35.

Radiator

Oviedo, FL
Buick Ownership
2010 Buick Lacrosse CXS
I will be interested in what happens...my 2010 Lacrosse with the Hiper strut makes clunking sounds occasionally. I have not investigated the cause...

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800 (& 1990 Lincoln LSC SE)
Can the front strut cartridges be replaced from under the hood on this model? This is possible on my W body but not sure about later models.

rkdavies

Buick Ownership
verano
I only found some info on the Chevy Cruze struts. That shows a standard strut process. Unbolt it from the spindle, unbolt the top mount. Compress the spring, impact gun on the top nut. From looking at my strut it appears to me that it is like the Cruze. The new top mount I ordered is interchangeable with the Cruze strut.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
I only found some info on the Chevy Cruze struts. That shows a standard strut process. Unbolt it from the spindle, unbolt the top mount. Compress the spring, impact gun on the top nut. From looking at my strut it appears to me that it is like the Cruze. The new top mount I ordered is interchangeable with the Cruze strut.
Your car is also a W body, but a much later one. Whether or not the process seen below is relevant to you or not I'm not sure. One of the symptoms of strut cartridge replacement being likely required sounds similar to your clunking issue.

rkdavies

Buick Ownership
verano
Different than the Verano. I don't have inserts. I do have the offset socket tool for a top nut.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
Oh, I was thinking LaCrosse. I don't know about the Verano but could still be a strut issue. Seems strange for the low mileage though.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!