Roadmaster coolant

Mikee

Buick Newbie
Washington, NC
Buick Ownership
1996 Buick Roadmaster sedan
Thanks Ed-I just became the 2nd owner of this 96 Roadmaster sedan with 63k miles in very good condition. Coolant has been changed according to the schedule but I've heard only bad comments about dexcool. Would there be any advantage/disadvantage in going from dexcool to the "green stuff"? Mike

Valley Forge, Pa
Buick Ownership
Roadmaster wagon
Thanks Ed-I just became the 2nd owner of this 96 Roadmaster sedan with 63k miles in very good condition. Coolant has been changed according to the schedule but I've heard only bad comments about dexcool. Would there be any advantage/disadvantage in going from dexcool to the "green stuff"? Mike
As I see it the orange coolent was used because it was supposed
to have longer drain intervals. If you take reasonable care and maintain
your car well,you should not have any problems with the green coolent.
If you are a bit fanitical like me regarding car care, I always use
distilled water in a 50/50 mix. I also swear by Red Line water wetter. ed

Benton Harbor, MI
Buick Ownership
95 Roadmaster Sedan (3), 94 & 96 Roadmaster Wagon
I think Dexcool gets a bad name from people never changing it. When a car is 15 years old and the cooling system has never been flushed, you are gonna have issues. I've had heater core plug issues on a little less than half of these cars. Every last one of them came with the green stuff from the factory and it looked like it had never been changed. I like the green stuff as you can see the dirt and gunk in it. My 96 RMW has has the universal green stuff since its first flush almost 15 years ago. It had had a couple flushes since then. 265k and no real cooling system related issues other than it needing a water pump around 200k.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I changed the spark plugs and wires on my 94 roadmaster sedan and now the service engine light is on can you tell me why?
Chances are you missed something like running a couple wires into the wrong plugs, or didn't connect the wires properly, or one of the wires inside boot connection could be off a little.

Also a small chance one of the sparkplugs gap was much too big or too small by accident. I make sure to check the spark plug gap of every plug right before screwing it into the head.

It could be a coincidence and the engine light came on because of something else. Thus it's VERY important you have the engine codes scanned to give you a better idea where to look at.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.