• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Roll back

jim5644

Buick Ownership
encore
Is anyone having a problem with the Buick Encore with an automatic transmission rolling back when stopped on an incline. My suv when stropped at a stop light or sign tends to want to roll backwards when I take my foot off the brake before the gas pedal moves the car. It is almost like the old straight drive cars would do.

oregon_rider

Buick Ownership
Encore
Some transmission have the capability to "hold on hills" whereas others do not. Suggest you use other foot on brake to transition from brake to accelerator pedal...

jeff

G-239306

Is anyone having a problem with the Buick Encore with an automatic transmission rolling back when stopped on an incline. My suv when stropped at a stop light or sign tends to want to roll backwards when I take my foot off the brake before the gas pedal moves the car. It is almost like the old straight drive cars would do.
Yes, my 2019 encore rolls back at lights. It's a big design flaw.

a335w

Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Encore
This is the vehicle operating as designed. When stopped with the drive gear selected the transmission shifts itself to neutral. When you lift your foot off the brake the vehicle then shifts itself back into first gear. This can cause a few undesirable behaviors such as rolling back on a hill during launch, hesitation to launch, and suddenly and unexpectedly rolling back even though your foot is on the brake. Although these are all undesirable, the vehicle is operating as designed. You can override this behavior for any given stop by shifting your transmission into manual mode, launching, and then quickly shifting back to drive before the need to change gears. When in manual mode the transmission will never shift itself into neutral at a stop. It will maintain first gear in that scenario.

mshultz

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore Essence AWD
I'm pretty sure my 2019 Encore stays in gear at stop lights. I do have the optional engine with start/stop. I have not noticed any more tendency to roll back on inclines than other vehicles I have owned.

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
Rolling backward on an incline is one of the first things I noticed about my 2019 Encore. Once noticed, it's not a big deal since one just must make sure on a steep incline to transition from brake to gas quickly. No matter if it was designed this way or not, Buick should inform buyers of this possibility right off the bat, for many buyers might be coming from cars that don't behave like the Encore, like me, and be taken by surprise and possibly cause damage to themselves and others.

G-594676

I can’t speak to the upgraded engine and if they designed its transmission behave differently. I do agree that they don’t do a good job of informing their buyers about this behavior. I found it to be unsettling when I first got my 2017 Encore. I read somewhere that they made the transmission do that to lower noise and vibration in the cabin when stopped. I imagine it also saves a slight amount of fuel by reducing drag on the engine when stopped in gear. Either way, I wish they had a setting to disable that behavior. I would gladly take a little extra vibration and fuel usage, when stopped, in exchange.

mshultz

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore Essence AWD
In looking through the 2019 Encore Owner's Manual:
Page 171: Auto Stop will not occur if the vehicle is on a steep hill or grade.

Page 181: Hill Start Assist (HSA)
If equipped, Hill Start Assist (HSA) may be useful when the vehicle is stopped on a grade. This feature is designed to prevent the vehicle from rolling, either forward or rearward, during vehicle drive off. After the driver completely stops and holds the vehicle in a complete standstill on a grade, HSA will be automatically activated. During the transition period between when the driver releases the brake pedal and starts to accelerate to drive off on a grade, HSA holds the braking pressure to ensure that there is no rolling. The brakes will automatically release when the accelerator pedal is applied within the two-second window. It will not activate if the vehicle is in a drive gear and facing downhill, or if the vehicle is facing uphill and in R (Reverse).

I tested my vehicle in my driveway. When I released the brake without touching the accelerator pedal, the car remained motionless, and the HSA is Active message appeared in the Driver Information Center.

I do not know which Encore models have this option. It is not mentioned in either the brochure nor on my window sticker. My Encore is an Essence AWD with all the options.

Note the 2-second window. I did not test this, but it would seem that if you are dawdling, the brake would release before you press the accelerator pedal.

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
In looking through the 2019 Encore Owner's Manual:
Page 171: Auto Stop will not occur if the vehicle is on a steep hill or grade.

Page 181: Hill Start Assist (HSA)
If equipped, Hill Start Assist (HSA) may be useful when the vehicle is stopped on a grade. This feature is designed to prevent the vehicle from rolling, either forward or rearward, during vehicle drive off. After the driver completely stops and holds the vehicle in a complete standstill on a grade, HSA will be automatically activated. During the transition period between when the driver releases the brake pedal and starts to accelerate to drive off on a grade, HSA holds the braking pressure to ensure that there is no rolling. The brakes will automatically release when the accelerator pedal is applied within the two-second window. It will not activate if the vehicle is in a drive gear and facing downhill, or if the vehicle is facing uphill and in R (Reverse).

I tested my vehicle in my driveway. When I released the brake without touching the accelerator pedal, the car remained motionless, and the HSA is Active message appeared in the Driver Information Center.

I do not know which Encore models have this option. It is not mentioned in either the brochure nor on my window sticker. My Encore is an Essence AWD with all the options.

Note the 2-second window. I did not test this, but it would seem that if you are dawdling, the brake would release before you press the accelerator pedal.
Thanks for this info. I think one can likely conclude that many Encores are not equipped with this HSA feature and will roll backward when the brake pedal is released on an uphill incline, which squares with the reports from some Encore owners. I still haven't seen a report from an Encore owner who has a locking gas filler door, which also is an "If equipped" feature.

Last edited:

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
Interestingly, my 6-speed manual Sonic had the HSA and would hold the car on an incline.

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
Am I the only one? Whenever I come close to a stop sign or a red light I tap the shifter in neutral. I find that my vehicle stops better, straighter in winter and the engine never tries to fight you. Ounce at a stop I pull the hand brake, been doing this for over 16 years now ever since I bought my Mitsubishi Outlander. No more creeping ahead or rolling back on a hill. Before that my vehicles had foot parking brake.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
Am I the only one? Whenever I come close to a stop sign or a red light I tap the shifter in neutral. I find that my vehicle stops better, straighter in winter and the engine never tries to fight you. Ounce at a stop I pull the hand brake, been doing this for over 16 years now ever since I bought my Mitsubishi Outlander. No more creeping ahead or rolling back on a hill. Before that my vehicles had foot parking brake.
Most likely you are, yes. Everything you are doing defeats the purpose of an automatic transmission.

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
I have heard of one other person doing that but I think that would depend on your speed. You are describing engine braking commonly used a little bit with motorcycles, and big rigs call it exhaust braking. So yes, that could cause a little slippage if you are on really slick icy roads. But, I don't think it is safe to be shifting out of gear when moving in general.

Last edited:

mshultz

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore Essence AWD
On an Encore like mine with the optional engine and start/stop technology, putting the transmission in neutral at a stop would prevent the engine from stopping, and thereby waste fuel.

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
On an Encore like mine with the optional engine and start/stop technology, putting the transmission in neutral at a stop would prevent the engine from stopping, and thereby waste fuel.
I get what he is saying though. If you are on ice and it downshifts abruptly it could give a little loss of traction, though I would have been more cautious before I get in that ice situation by coming to a more coasting type stop ahead of time. Usually if I am not sure of the road condition I will test it by slamming on the brakes just to see what he traction situation is. I too have the start/stop.

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
Nope. It just stops better in neutral. ABS isn't fighting the engine and or traction control. Poncho try this method for a few days and let me know. Also the transmission bands aren't engaged when in neutral so no wear on them while sitting at the light.

Last edited:
Turbo Buick Badge