• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Rotor & brake squeak

Rik

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne
Anyone ever experienced their replacement rotor and front brakes squeak afterwards (AC Delco Parts)? If so, how did you fix it? Thanks.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Define squeak? When applying or driving, both or just a single wheel, V8 or V6, year? Was this something you did or a shop?

If you did the brakes what steps did you do when replaced them, details help others who may have had the same problem.

Rik

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne
Define squeak? When applying or driving, both or just a single wheel, V8 or V6, year? Was this something you did or a shop?

If you did the brakes what steps did you do when replaced them, details help others who may have had the same problem.
When applying... Its a 2006 v6 lucerne-cxl..tge squeak sounds like it's coming from both front wheels but louder on the driver side. It happens in about 80% of my stops.... I had someone else do them...he lubed the contact points and replaced them like normal if that helps.

The new Rotors were cleaned before they went on.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
A couple of things, as none of us watched it being done. I guess the first one is what has been the response from the person who did it.

Were the hubs cleaned of rust prior to putting on the new disc?

Was the pad and caliper dry fit for proper movement prior to install?

Did the brake calipers get inspected, cleaned along with the guide pins and get relubed or checked?

After installation did new pads and disc get a proper burnish?

Are the calipers properly torqued?

Are the wheels properly torqued?

Not saying that all these items are the problem just some may lead to it as again none of us were there when they were done and this is just basic brake installation steps.

polarzak

Buick Ownership
Ex-Lucerne Owner, Now loving two Chrysler 300s.
Many y DIYs and corner mechanics forget to burnish the brakes. If it was not done, it "could" cause a squeak, but that would be more of a concern if only the pads were replaced. Without having to take it all apart and checking that everything was done as in the above post, try bedding them in. It should be done anyway to ensure logevity and better brake performance. Search "brake burnishing" or "bedding in brakes"

Rik

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne
Many y DIYs and corner mechanics forget to burnish the brakes. If it was not done, it "could" cause a squeak, but that would be more of a concern if only the pads were replaced. Without having to take it all apart and checking that everything was done as in the above post, try bedding them in. It should be done anyway to ensure logevity and better brake performance. Search "brake burnishing" or "bedding in brakes"
Thanks. Will look into it.

Rik

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne
A couple of things, as none of us watched it being done. I guess the first one is what has been the response from the person who did it.

Were the hubs cleaned of rust prior to putting on the new disc?

Was the pad and caliper dry fit for proper movement prior to install?

Did the brake calipers get inspected, cleaned along with the guide pins and get relubed or checked?

After installation did new pads and disc get a proper burnish?

Are the calipers properly torqued?

Are the wheels properly torqued?

Not saying that all these items are the problem just some may lead to it as again none of us were there when they were done and this is just basic brake installation steps.
I believe all the above was done as I watched the installation. Maybe the squeak will eventually stop. I read on another website it could take anywhere from 250 miles to 750miles for squeaking to stop with the new rotors and brake pads, not sure how accurate that is.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
It's just a point of asking as it's been done in the past where someone just pulls off the old rotors and pads then just tosses on the new parts and gorilla torque the parts and wheels down. Then they wonder why there's problems.

You may want to try burnish them again or if it wasn't done. If you can check the rotors for any possible scratch marks, front and back, in case something is rubbing.

Rik

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne
It's just a point of asking as it's been done in the past where someone just pulls off the old rotors and pads then just tosses on the new parts and gorilla torque the parts and wheels down. Then they wonder why there's problems.

You may want to try burnish them again or if it wasn't done. If you can check the rotors for any possible scratch marks, front and back, in case something is rubbing.
Okay... I'll try to burnish them again, but there are no scratches on either side of the rotors. Took the wheels off 4 times already to inspect and redid the process to make sure nothing was missed. Brakes squeak the loudest when slowing to a stop or applying brake at high speeds like on highway.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
There is some squeal stop from CRC but no guarantee that it would work. GM had some pad issue on the 06-07 but have to assume those pads are long gone out of inventory.

The only other item that could, but seeing how no marks are on the back, is the dust shield rubbing. That's about the limit of the common knowledge I have on brake noise. Hopefully they will quite down after some milage.

Rik

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne
There is some squeal stop from CRC but no guarantee that it would work. GM had some pad issue on the 06-07 but have to assume those pads are long gone out of inventory.

The only other item that could, but seeing how no marks are on the back, is the dust shield rubbing. That's about the limit of the common knowledge I have on brake noise. Hopefully they will quite down after some milage.
Oh okay... Keeping my hopes up. Thanks for your help.

Pedal Commander