Rust in the rear wheel frame

radigan

usa
2002 Lesabre, my first car was a '65 Skylark ragtop
My rear coils are not secured to the car's frame. The frame has rusted out. Has anybody fixed the rusted metal that connects the rear suspension coils to the coil seat?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Depending on how much damage/rust it may require a professional shop to replace the area as it's difficult without seeing it what is required.
981201MH12-006.png
041209GM07-045.png

radigan

usa
No guts no glory. I going in!

The local mechanics will not touch this. That make me either crazy or a person with not a lot of choices.

I suspect that Anybody who has a car this old, and in the rust belt, surly has seen this. If you have a car with similar rust tell me what you think.

Here a shot with the coil removed. The top seat of the coil has rusted away.
You can see the black gas tank.

IMG_20200915_204246973.jpg

radigan

usa
IMG_20200915_204146506.jpg IMG_20200915_204204823.jpg IMG_20200915_204155151.jpg
More images for your review.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Unless you can find a donor vehicle, not sure if any body frame parts were available, it may be that everything needs to be custom made which could be why mechanic shops turned it down. A body shop may be another source to check as they would be more likely to have experience in metal replacement.
981201MH12-006.png

2003 lesabre limited
Yeah you can either go god welder mode and somehow reconstruct that or try and pull the parts needed from the above diagrams from a pick n pull. I was just at one today since I have a similar (but much less severe) version of your problem and paying attention to that part on each car, there are definitely some better protected ones than others you could potentially pull but it would be hard.

Frampton

2003 buick lesabre custom
My rear coils are not secured to the car's frame. The frame has rusted out. Has anybody fixed the rusted metal that connects the rear suspension coils to the coil seat?
I haven't done the rears yet but the frt. frame rails I just did. Cut out the rust and boxed in New 1/4 steel. My rears aren't bad but need attention.

Attachments

radigan

usa
Wow you did a great job! Did you weld without a lift, example.. just jacks?
I like that tab you used for ground.

what about the rug on the top side? Did it burn?

Do you need to cut out the rust, or could you just encapsulate?

radigan

usa
I am sure there are people out there that would consider the car "totaled" due to rust. Seeing your repair makes me believe that these rust spot are not the end of a good car.

It gives me hope that my car will drive again.

Frampton

Wow you did a great job! Did you weld without a lift, example.. just jacks?
I like that tab you used for ground.

what about the rug on the top side? Did it burn?

Do you need to cut out the rust, or could you just encapsulate?
Jack stands lifted high, I blocked the rug with a piece of sheet metal, cut out the rust, sprayed a thick rust reformer in there for good measure and completely and boxed everything in. Thank you by the way, it really did turn out great. Really Looks factory, pics don't do it justice. The rears are not bad but gonna do them next. Alittle tricky because so many angles and bends but completely doable. Just have to remove the spring.

Last edited:

Frampton

I am sure there are people out there that would consider the car "totaled" due to rust. Seeing your repair makes me believe that these rust spot are not the end of a good car.

It gives me hope that my car will drive again.
Thanks! Those were the ONLY places rust had been. Both sides. There's absolutely no reason to junk a car like this, especially if you can simply fix it or know someone that can.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!