• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Save the wagon, but Buick must die.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Sad, but I have to agree. The Buick line in general based on MSRP, in not compelling, I would go elsewhere car shopping.

Buick Death Watch 1: Buick Must Die - The Truth About Cars

Buick Death Watch 2: Dealers Don't Need Buick - The Truth About Cars

Buick Death Watch: Brother, Can You Spare an Encore? - The Truth About Cars

Build the Tour X Preferred as a Chevy, different as an alternate to the Outback, emphasize sportiness, youth, fun, & versatility. Apple Pie. Don’t exactly copy the Outback.
The Chevy wagon must be a compelling reason not to buy an Outback. Less than $30k out the door. Consider an SS version also.

First just drop the MSRP 18-22% from Buick current levels and leave further discounts solely to the dealers. No Corporate incentives. Give the dealers a bit of margin so they can deal with customer and have incentive to sell.

Build these cars on same line as Malibu. When Ford build my Cobra, the Assy. Line built only Cobras for a week or so, making the entire run of cars.
Chevy could run the line just making wagons, then switch back to the Malibu.

Build the TouX as a Caddy. Target the Jag Wagon. Sex sells.

Put the high end interior in the car.

Must run mid 13 second +100 MPH, Great ride and skid pad @ +.9G plus a155 MPG top end governed for bragging rights. THE HARDWARE EXISTS
Cadillac Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo
3.0 L Turbo

Paddles shifters, sport mode, Brembos, Good tires, (like Michelin’s, Conti Extreme Contact Sports, etc.)

Offer wheels and rims with winter package also, direct from dealer at reasonable price.

Adaptive high end air ride suspension, to go from sporty, 20mm drop, std. TourX ride height, so it rides like an Avalon, +35mm all weather semi off-road capable.
Anyone notice Toyota just introduced the Camry and Avalon TRD. They are Toyota's Buick GS!

Loose the black wheel trim, color match it if you must as like the fancier F150’s & Ram PU’s

Include high end options available on Insignia’s

Consider a hybrid GKN drivetrain down the road.

Sell out the door at $40 to $50K

If GM cannot make a reasonable profit doing this and see some real volume sales, then bale and just sell trucks and SUV’s let Caddy die also.

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Goverment should not have bailed out GM, they should have been made to sell Chevy or other divisions.
Chevy's have as much class as Fords, and some of us would not consider buying either.

Idano

Buick Ownership
Tourx
I’m a pretty cool kid and I want the AMG Merc badly. I just don’t want to pay for the car or the maintenance
I don't know an easy way to break this to you so,
Cool Kids don't have to reaffirm their cool kid status and they definitely don't buy stationwagons and brag about their MPG.

Red_X

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I'm of the opinion that Buick only exists here because it's so strong in China. If it weren't, maybe we'd still have Pontiac. Or Oldsmobile. Which, with that sunroof, makes this car SCREAM to be a revival of the Vista Cruiser. Can't you just see a retied Red Foreman toolin' around in one?

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
Cool Kids don't want a freaking stationwagon no matter how fast it can go or how well it handles.
I'm not cool, and I never was. But my parents had station wagons, and I liked them. I think most 'cool kids' are too concerned with image, so they specifically don't want to be seen in whatever their parents or previous generation had, no matter how convenient they are.

I like my TourX a lot - the only real 'preference' for change would be that it not have the black plastic cladding on it.

I would be curious to see how it would sell with a different GM badge on the car, though, and/or with some actual advertisement effort. They spent a lot of time positioning it, price & options wise, to compete with the Outback, but I'd wager that 90% or more of Outback buyers don't even know the TourX exists.

Jwmsa17

Buick Ownership
TourX
Was just having a very similar conversation with a friend on Monday. The Regal/TourX is a great chassis that's screwed over by GM accounting mindset valuing contribution margin and plant efficiency over providing a compelling value proposition to the customer (Corvette notwithstanding). The price is too high for the content and the Buick brand caché only appeals to the older demographic, ie GenX and younger don't have the same attachment to the Buick brand (or most others, TBH).
I love the look of my TourX and it is a comfortable place to chew up miles. This car should be performing better in the marketplace, but GM sure knows how to piss on its own leg with systemic ineptitude by allowing accounting, production, and brand management to stand ahead of product development in the pecking order of making cars people want to buy.

PS - I'm a senior financial analyst in the manufacturing sector (also have an accounting degree) and have seen what happens when accounting drives a company rather than product development to fill customer needs.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I'm of the opinion that Buick only exists here because it's so strong in China. If it weren't, maybe we'd still have Pontiac. Or Oldsmobile. Which, with that sunroof, makes this car SCREAM to be a revival of the Vista Cruiser. Can't you just see a retied Red Foreman toolin' around in one?
During the bailout the government wanted to make it Chevy, Pontiac, and Cadillac. They were told that Buick had to "live" to fight in China, so they knifed Pontiac in the back. GMC got a reprieve because they were shown how easy it was to make a GMC out of a Chevy and how much more profit was to be had on the GMC model.

I'm still mourning Oldsmobile - Some men are Baptists…others Catholics…My father was an Oldsmobile man.
(That's the religion I grew up with - Oldsmobile.)

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX

Buick out sells Acura...

TTAC has a hard on for death watch series but they should have chose Acura or someone else as Buick has life after ICE propelled vehicles long expire.

"...Buick is working on a major crossover offensive that involves introducing five new crossover models by the year 2020. Some of these new Buick crossovers will be next-generation iterations of current models, while others will be all-new entries...." gmauthority

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
Was just having a very similar conversation with a friend on Monday. The Regal/TourX is a great chassis that's screwed over by GM accounting mindset valuing contribution margin and plant efficiency over providing a compelling value proposition to the customer (Corvette notwithstanding). The price is too high for the content and the Buick brand caché only appeals to the older demographic, ie GenX and younger don't have the same attachment to the Buick brand (or most others, TBH).
I love the look of my TourX and it is a comfortable place to chew up miles. This car should be performing better in the marketplace, but GM sure knows how to piss on its own leg with systemic ineptitude by allowing accounting, production, and brand management to stand ahead of product development in the pecking order of making cars people want to buy.

PS - I'm a senior financial analyst in the manufacturing sector (also have an accounting degree) and have seen what happens when accounting drives a company rather than product development to fill customer needs.
You can't blame them. The Regal is a low volume vehicle built in Germany. They had to take out as much cost as possible. Even if they did include all the features that Opel and Holden get, it still wouldn't sell.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
During the bailout the government wanted to make it Chevy, Pontiac, and Cadillac. They were told that Buick had to "live" to fight in China, so they knifed Pontiac in the back. GMC got a reprieve because they were shown how easy it was to make a GMC out of a Chevy and how much more profit was to be had on the GMC model.

I'm still mourning Oldsmobile - Some men are Baptists…others Catholics…My father was an Oldsmobile man.
(That's the religion I grew up with - Oldsmobile.)
Pontiac was not under consideration at all. The government wanted Chevrolet and Cadillac. Buick survived because of China and GMC survived because it makes a lot of money.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
Pontiac was not under consideration at all. The government wanted Chevrolet and Cadillac. Buick survived because of China and GMC survived because it makes a lot of money.
How did Opel survive the cut at the time? They hadn't supposedly made profit since 1999. Too expensive to shut down due to German regs and/or too hard to sell?

Pedal Commander