• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Scalding hood.

J-Regal

Buick Ownership
Regal
I have a 2016 regal that I recent purchased. After driving about 16 miles I stoppee and went to open the hood to find it was to hot to touch. Has anyone else experienced it being this hot. Once I was able to open the hood I went to check the oil dip stick and found that also was too hot to touch. Are these common or do I have something going on?

JoeBlog

Buick Newbie
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
First tell us if the oil on the dipstick met the minimum quantity requirement, and if it’s the type/weight recommended in the manual. Then we’ll need to know whether or not you had sufficient coolant in the cooling system. These cars operate at a higher temperature than ones in the past. There also can be issues with the belt/pulley system and what it’s running. Invest in an infrared touchless thermometer if you don’t trust the gauges, and look for hot spots at those locations. Even if you didn’t get a warning anywhere, it doesn’t mean there isn’t an issue.

J-Regal

Buick Ownership
Regal
First tell us if the oil on the dipstick met the minimum quantity requirement, and if it’s the type/weight recommended in the manual. Then we’ll need to know whether or not you had sufficient coolant in the cooling system. These cars operate at a higher temperature than ones in the past. There also can be issues with the belt/pulley system and what it’s running. Invest in an infrared touchless thermometer if you don’t trust the gauges, and look for hot spots at those locations. Even if you didn’t get a warning anywhere, it doesn’t mean there isn’t an issue.
The oil type is correct and there was at the appropriate level. The coolant level is also at the appropriate level. I'll look into getting the thermometer. I'm also taking it to the dealer next week. Maybe they have some ideas is what it could be.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Hopefully, it is still under warranty!

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
If you go into the settings for the digital display you can check the box for coolant temperature and when you scroll through the options the coolant temperature will display. It should read less than 200 degrees while you are driving.

J-Regal

Buick Ownership
Regal
If you go into the settings for the digital display you can check the box for coolant temperature and when you scroll through the options the coolant temperature will display. It should read less than 200 degrees while you are driving.
Where do I see this at?

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Does the underside of your hood have insulation?

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
It's in the settings for the driver information center, where the oil life/tire pressure/trip counter are located. Page 5-35 of the owners manual explains how to get to the settings and how to view the options.

J-Regal

Buick Ownership
Regal
It's in the settings for the driver information center, where the oil life/tire pressure/trip counter are located. Page 5-35 of the owners manual explains how to get to the settings and how to view the options.
Thanks. I got it check marked. Going to take it out on a little bit to see how hot it gets.

J-Regal

Buick Ownership
Regal
So I drove the car for 30 minutes to make sure I got it to operating temperature and the max coolant temperature that I saw was 195'. So within the limit stated. When I got out I felt the hood and it didn't feel hot. When I checked 10 minutes later it again was too hot to touch without burning myself. ??? Thanks everyone for chiming in on this. It's most appreciated.

Last edited:

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
195 degrees is good. Evidently the hood gets hot after the car sits, since there isn't air moving over it which keeps it cooler while you are driving.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
The fans cool the radiator & coolant inside, they don't do much to cool the motor. The coolant isn't circulating through the motor when it isn't running, so it has to cool down by using the ambient air around it.

14RegalGSAWD

Buick Newbie
Madison, WI
Buick Ownership
2014 Regal GS AWD
I have noticed my hood feeling hot at times and once had a mechanic comment the engine compartment seemed warm, but the temp readings on my gauges were all in spec. Some time after I had found out the car had been in a front-end accident by the previous owner (I bought it as a CPO from a dealer). This is relevant because I noticed the passenger front fender liner had what appear to be air intake slots, but they weren't cut out, as if it was a replacement part not installed correctly (this happened on a previous car for the cold air intake inlet mounted in the grill). Literally just yesterday, I removed the fender liner and cut them all out, so it now has a bunch of downward-facing, slotted openings. But behind the fender liner I could see the intake housing routed to the front scoop...so that's where the intake air is coming from, not from the front wheel-well. I am guessing these slots are for cooling air for the engine compartment....now that I've opened them up, I'll see if it seems to run cooler.....stay tuned

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
Were you surprised about the accident, or did it appear on the Carfax report when you purchased the car? The dealer is required to show you the Carfax on a CPO.

14RegalGSAWD

Buick Newbie
Madison, WI
Buick Ownership
2014 Regal GS AWD
Were you surprised about the accident, or did it appear on the Carfax report when you purchased the car? The dealer is required to show you the Carfax on a CPO.
I was getting insurance quotes for the car right after I bought it and the agent asked if I was ticketed for an accident with the car a number of months prior. I told him I had just bought it and the Carfax said it was never in an accident. He told me accidents only show up in carfax if a police report was filed....so the previous owner must've crashed into something, didn't call the police, but filed an insurance claim to cover the repairs.

carl3pedals

NJ
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
There is supposed to be some insulation under your hood. Perhaps you could post a picture of the underside of your hood, with the hood propped all the way in the upright position, to see if this is present on your car.

Rockin1100

Buick Ownership
2015 Regal
I too have noticed the Hot Hood after enjoying the spirited ride. It is a trend of the Big 4 turbo. When I get in for the night I open the hood for a 1/2 hour or so then leave it just slightly open over night. I do have off road sheltered parking.