Screeching brakes when backing up

allmyn0325

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I purchased my 2013 Encore August 2013, and have had the brake squeal backing up since the beginning. Seems that enough of us have this, is NOT rust or dust !

dickencorenut

Buick Ownership
Buick
We've yet to order the 2015 as want to be extra certain before going back to GM, so I keep visiting Encore forums...

I don't enjoy reading of dealerships telling Encore owners that minor issues, like screeching brakes, are "normal to this model".

I don't want a new car with screeching brakes, misaligned washer jets that miss the windshield & odd noises in the cabin etc.

It's anyone's guess if the above have been corrected on the 2015. One would certainly hope Buick would care enough to.

The above issues are not life-threatening, they are just annoying.
Just to give one positive post. My 2013 Encore Premium is now 18 months old with 16,000 miles and no screeching brakes ever, no misaligned washer jets (they wash the windshield perfectly), no odd noises in the cabin, no problems at all. When I took it in to have the seat welds checked, I was in and out without an appointment in 15 minutes. When new there was a very tiny leak of transmission fluid that was fixed and hasn't leaked since. When I had a rattle in the rear, the dealer had the car in twice trying to find it. Adjusted the exhaust system which helped for a short while and finally found that the problem wasn't Buick's at all. It was my trailer hitch that was designed with not enough clearance and rattled/knocked on just the right bumps. They did a modification that fixed it and now all is silent. The charge for all the hours they spent on this rattle that wasn't their fault? $0/nada. They did it for nothing!

Why do I blab on with all the above? Because A. no car is perfect and B. you are really dependent on your dealer and I am fortunate enough to have found a truly outstanding one who will go to extremes to keep a happy customer. If your Buick dealer seems to be clueless, go to a different one. Just my 2 cents.

Lynnster

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thank you! I literally followed 2 Encores recently in my town & both owners are very happy & have had no issues. You are correct about the dealership! It's all about them down the road…

donniejt

Buick Ownership
Buick
I had the TSB applied dealing with the screeching rear brakes. This has not fixed the problem. I now have an appointment with my Buick dealer next week. He is going to discuss it with GM engineering. The car will be there all day. They will be supplying me with a loaner for the day. I hope this will resolve this issue.

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
I don't care if it does it for a few times after sitting all night, as long as the brakes work. The noise goes away after using them a few times.

donniejt

Buick Ownership
Buick
I don't care if it does it for a few times after sitting all night, as long as the brakes work. The noise goes away after using them a few times.
This screeching noise sounds like metal on metal. This could be a problem long after the warranty expires. I would not let it continue. Get it fixed now.

donniejt

Buick Ownership
Buick
Today, me dealer replaced the rear brake rotors and pads (under warranty of course). One person at the dealership told me that GM authorized this but another said that the they (the dealer) did it for good customer relations. This should stop the screeching brakes. I will see if that is the case.

donniejt

Buick Ownership
Buick
Today, me dealer replaced the rear brake rotors and pads (under warranty of course). One person at the dealership told me that GM authorized this but another said that the they (the dealer) did it for good customer relations. This should stop the screeching brakes. I will see if that is the case.
The brakes are screeching now EVERY time that I backup. It happens during all weather conditions. This NEVER happens when I move forward. Some screeching is only short spurts but others last several seconds.
All of this after the dealer said that they replaced the rear rotors and pads. Could this be coming from the front brakes. What is different with the brakes when backing up?

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
Usually, brake pad squeal is nothing more than high frequency vibration of the brake pad backing plate or shim against the caliper piston. You hear it as a screech. That's why some of the more expensive replacement pads have real nice shims that include a rubber layer to help stop the vibration which causes a screech.

Most cars also have a little metal part that contacts the rotor and screeches when the pads wear out. But since you said they are new you can most probably rule that out.

Most replacement pad sets also include a grease that you smear on the shim to help stop squeal. Maybe they didn't put any grease on the shim.

The only thing that happens different when you back up is the pad is forced to the opposite side of the caliper. IOW, when you hit the brakes going forward, the pad is moved slightly to the bottom of the caliper. When you brake going backwards, the pad has the opposite force on it and is moved slightly to the top of the caliper, depending on where the caliper is mounted on the car. In the front of the rotor , or the back.

IceMan2

East Central Indiana
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore
My Wife's 2013 Encore (that was totaled) had brakes that squealed every time she backed out of the driveway. Seems Buick may have solved that for the 2014s since her new replacement doesn't do it.
IceMan2

donniejt

Buick Ownership
Buick
I have a 2013 Encore. Most of the time, when I backup the rear brakes (I think) screech. This has been happening in both wet and dry weather. It started about several months ago. I received the car in July 2013.
The dealer thinks is normal when disks are dirty, but as I said it just started a few months ago. Anyone else have this?
For the last week, I have been pumping the brake pedal several times before backing up. I do backup several times a day in morning afternoon and evening. I have not heard any noise from the brakes since. Why does this stop the screeching? Again, the brake noise happened in both wet and dry weather conditions so moisture on the brakes was not a cause.

tdekok

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I had the same "screeching" issue with my Encore. It was fixed when I first complained but now it is beginning again. GM is supposedly working on this issue but it is quite disconcerting to have my 2014 Buick sound like a 15 year old junker ...

IceMan2

East Central Indiana
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore
Strange. My Wife did have the screeching noise at times when backing up with her '13 Encore, but with her '14 it has never happened. I had assumed that Buick had fixed the problem.

storyid

Buick Newbie
Seattle
Buick Ownership
2014 Encore
2014 here, 55k miles, screeches every morning backing out of garage, as it always has. Have asked dealer, they say normal. Very annoying. But it hasn't been a problem otherwise...am going to ask them again at next oil change, maybe they can at least read the bulletin on this for the 2013 and say if it'd apply to the 2014 or not (seems like it would) - http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=2642

t.ramsey

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
We have a 2017 with the same brake issues. There has been a technical service bulletin out since 2013 on them that they have not fixed. We have already started a Lemon Law case against GM.

ldog2003

Buick Newbie
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Encore
'13 here 87K, bought it used with 62K
Breaks screech almost every morning and some days after work too. It has done it since the day I bought it. Some days are better than others, wet days are the worst. I have had it inspected by the dealer and my local trusted mechanic. apparently its normal and there is nothing that can be done.

g_539873

We have a 2017 Envision and it just started to squeak 2 weeks ago backing out of the garage in the morning. Only 22,000 miles on car. Took the car in today with videos of it squealing and they said they found nothing wrong with it. For all of you out there-this is NOT normal.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
My Brother's 2017 Encore with under 20,000 miles is making brake noise.
His dealership said the fix recommended in the TSB has a 50-50 chance of fixing the problem.
And the dealership admitted that this appears to be a problem on a lot of newer GM vehicles.

What is really ridiculous is that brakes, in good working order, and on a vehicle that is used daily or on a regular basis, should not be making any noise!! And for any dealership or any mechanic to say it is normal is FULL OF CRAP!!!

I've owned around 20 vehicles in my lifetime, both foreign and domestic.
From a 1973 Vega, to my newest, a 2013 Verano.
NONE, NADA, NOT ANY!!! Have ever had a brake noise or squeal.
Even when the brakes needed to be replaced!!
And I have never had any of the replacement brakes make any noise either.

Note: I always use OEM or better brake components when doing a brake job.
Yes, cheap pads, rotors, calipers, and/or improper installation can cause problems.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.