• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Sd navigation card.

Tourxronnie

Buick Ownership
Regal tourx
I'm recently purchased a 18 tourx. It didn't come with sd navigation card. I see on ebay there are several available but different p/n. Dealer wants a couple hundred for it. Anyone have an idea what the correct p/n would be? Mine is the essence trim level.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
I'm recently purchased a 18 tourx. It didn't come with sd navigation card. I see on ebay there are several available but different p/n. Dealer wants a couple hundred for it. Anyone have an idea what the correct p/n would be? Mine is the essence trim level.
I would really encourage you to give Android Auto or Apple Car play a chance. You can use your phone for free Google maps and it will be more up-to-date than an sd card.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Does that mean without sd card, nav. is inop?

ascii42

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
The one in my 2018 Regal says 8436 4481. Per gmnavdisc.com there are no newer maps available but I've wondered if this one would actually work GM - INFO 3 MAP UPDATE - V.2021 | HERE
Does that mean without sd card, nav. is inop?
On White Needle models (or any GM Infotainment 3.0 vehicle), the maps are stored on the SD card. Red Needle models (which are Infotainment 2.5) store the maps internally, and updates are provided on USB flash drives.

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
The one in my 2018 Regal says 8436 4481. Per gmnavdisc.com there are no newer maps available but I've wondered if this one would actually work GM - INFO 3 MAP UPDATE - V.2021 | HERE

On White Needle models (or any GM Infotainment 3.0 vehicle), the maps are stored on the SD card. Red Needle models (which are Infotainment 2.5) store the maps internally, and updates are provided on USB flash drives.
Thanks for info..
l take it that means no nav without card?

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX

Unfortunately it seems the only way to find out is to risk the money and try it. I contacted them some time ago and asked and they gave me the stock answer there is no official update for my car available, despite it uses same system as other GM cars where the update is available.

TRReynz

Hartford, CT
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Thanks for info..
l take it that means no nav without card?
If I am not mistaken, Essence trim comes with Navi, so you should have it and be able to use it.
If you want to update it, you will need to go to:
To get the 2022 updates.
It should work without them, the maps may be ale outdated.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
If I am not mistaken, Essence trim comes with Navi, so you should have it and be able to use it.
If you want to update it, you will need to go to:
To get the 2022 updates.
It should work without them, the maps may be ale outdated.
My preferred has nav, but being a red needle it has no SD slot. So the guy without card still has operational nav and he should just buy update and so does not need to order original card?

TRReynz

Hartford, CT
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
My preferred has nav, but being a red needle it has no SD slot. So the guy without card still has operational nav and he should just buy update and so does not need to order original card?
The update for Red Needles is on a USB stick. You turn the car on, plug in the USB into the car and it will guide you through the update process. It usually takes 30-45 minutes and you need to keep the car running and shouldn't drive it while it updates. (Kinda sucks right now because of gas prices)

ascii42

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
If there were an available update card, that is all he would have to do, yes. The navigation software itself is built-in. The card just stores map data. Unfortunately none of us can confirm if the newer map cards work on the Regal, so the safest option is buying the original card. Of course, those maps are 4+ years old at this point, so it'd be better to use CarPlay or Android Auto. I understand wanting the built-in navigation to work, though. Sometimes the CarPlay connection is finicky or whatever and it's nice to have a backup.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
The update for Red Needles is on a USB stick. You turn the car on, plug in the USB into the car and it will guide you through the update process. It usually takes 30-45 minutes and you need to keep the car running and shouldn't drive it while it updates. (Kinda sucks right now because of gas prices)
You don't actually have to have the engine running.
I did that with a battery charger hooked up to my vehicle and put it in service mode by long pressing the start button for about 5 seconds without stepping on the brake.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
If there were an available update card, that is all he would have to do, yes. The navigation software itself is built-in. The card just stores map data. Unfortunately none of us can confirm if the newer map cards work on the Regal, so the safest option is buying the original card. Of course, those maps are 4+ years old at this point, so it'd be better to use CarPlay or Android Auto. I understand wanting the built-in navigation to work, though. Sometimes the CarPlay connection is finicky or whatever and it's nice to have a backup.
You make it sound like everyone with white needle Regals are using original sd card with original maps?
Or does that mean no one has said, they have updated maps with new sd card...
I guess a better question is, since I have Commander version, has anyone successfully updated maps on red or white needle last gen Regals?
Guessing someone has updated maps or at least tried.

Last edited:

ascii42

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
You make it sound like everyone with white needle Regals are using original sd card with original maps?
Or does that mean no one has said, they have updated maps with new sd card...
I guess a better question is, since I have Commander version, has anyone successfully updated maps on red or white needle last gen Regals?
Guessing someone has updated maps or at least tried.
It is likely that all white needle Regals are using the original maps, yes. Updated maps are available for red needle Regals and I've seen people either on here or on the Facebook group say they've updated theirs.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
It is likely that all white needle Regals are using the original maps, yes. Updated maps are available for red needle Regals and I've seen people either on here or on the Facebook group say they've updated theirs.
I'd be tempted to give the updated SD card a try and risk the money but there is so much construction around here in central Florida I know even their current updated maps won't really be up to date.

I know car play works making the built in nav redundant and that's fine too, I just prefer the interface of the built in system and having the bottom line of the touchscreen showing which doesn't show in Carplay.

I'd rather wish that the GM Maps+ in car app was available for the Regal, I've not seen it for download in my car. Own One of These Late Model GM Vehicles? You Can Now Get Built-In Navigation for It

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
Here is photo of my SS card. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 9EAD880D-2737-4BD8-B82D-AF233CEF3755.jpeg
    9EAD880D-2737-4BD8-B82D-AF233CEF3755.jpeg
    497.3 KB · Views: 6
Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

visitor

rioja rider
CNY
Buick Ownership
'18 TourX Preferred white needle
We got a newer #8473 9527 off eBay last October & it works for us ('18 TourX Preferred). Just make sure it's original & sealed, else a used one will be "VIN-locked" to the previous vehicle. A new one installed in your car will be formatted by your system to only work in your car.
Unfortunately none of us can confirm if the newer map cards work on the Regal, so the safest option is buying the original card.
#8473 9527 works in ours.
Here is photo of my SS card. Hope that helps.
That #8453 0371 was also the version that came installed in our '18

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Wow, another plus for red needle.
Sorry Lt Dan.....
I mean Commander versions.

jjbosco

Detroit Metro
Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX Essence +all
Old thread, but has any one with the white needle able to update there 2014 original maps yet???
I see there is an update for infotainment 3.0 Cadillac systems, and has anyone tried this???

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Old thread, but has any one with the white needle able to update there 2014 original maps yet???
I see there is an update for infotainment 3.0 Cadillac systems, and has anyone tried this???
Nope.
I checked:
Regal - No.
CTS - No.
ATS - No.
Terrain - No for 2018, yes for 2019 and newer.
Equinox - Yes for all infotainment systems (switch over happened in 2019).
CT6 - Yes for all infotainment systems (switch over happened in 2019).

I am beginning to suspect that our Regal is the same as the CTS, ATS and the 2018 Terrain, while the rest of the lineup simply skipped over our iteration of the infotainment system.