Semimetallic or ceramic

imidazol97

Top Dog
Which pads are best for my 03 leSabre. I had put on Raybestos High Technology rotors and replaced with ACDelco ceramic pads. The Buick parts counter man said that OEM on those was semimetallic, but I put on the ceramic anyhow.

Were the originals semimetallic pads? The ceramics have made a little dust and that lack of dust is why I thought the originals had been ceramic. The chrome wheels show a coating after some miles.

I've gotten some squeaking from the ceramic pads.

Was I wrong? I'm due now to replace and will put on ceramic again unless semimetallic pads will be better for the rotors.

I'm still thinking of AC Delco for pads.

Last edited:

TooTall

Dayton, Ohio
Buick Ownership
2003 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
I used ceramic on my park ave, replaced the rotors at the same time. Love em. I believe you have to temper ceramic pads when you first install them, heating and cooling them several times with some serious braking... Unless this was for the rotors? But I think it was the ceramic pads, or both.

Google ceramic pad break in procedure.

leftoverture

Buick Ownership
LeSabre Limited
As for me...semi-metallic. I'll be doing the brakes this weekend and last time I used ceramics (on my old Century) I did not like the stopping characteristics of them. They significantly increased my stopping distances.

BumpinBuick

Buick Ownership
Buick
call up brakemotive. For roughly $163 including shipping I did all four wheels with ceramic pads and rotors.

I've got ~6500 miles on the brakes and so far no complaints, they have a ton of bite, aren't warped, and in general work better than the locally-bought ceramic pads/crap rotors I had before.

Enslow

Vancouver BC
Buick Ownership
1997 Buick LeSabre
I'm with leftoverture on this one. I installed Raybeston ceramics on my 99 Lesabre. Once they're warm from a few hard brakes, they perform well, but the first brake requires more pedal effort than I'd like.

I never had trouble with squealing. In the past I've always used antisqueal on the backs of pads which solved all my squealing problems. On my wife's 97 Lesabre, I installed semimetallic ACDelco pads, and used brake grease on the backs of the pads instead of antisqueal. They don't squeal either, but the braking is more consistent whether warm or cold.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!