• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Service and Maintenance

mariuszw

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour
Hello All,
I took my car to dealership to deal with couple minor issues in addition to do oil/filer change. My car is still under warranty, 2019 TourX.
One of the issues I had was that two USB port in the back of the center consul were not providing power. It was interesting to find out, at least what dealership advisor told me, that those two USB port were not physically connected. Wonder if that was quality issue during build. They also updated my radio because the guidelines were not always displayed when in reversed.
So, like any dealership advisor i got the talk about recommended service and I was shocked with some of the items they were recommending especially when you start comparing to owner manual chapter (Page 336) it does not much. Anyway, I did change the oil / filter for convincer $59.95.
Here is what was recommended for 30K service (every 30K)
1. Emmison System Service - $179.95
2. Throttle Body Service - $79.95
3. Rear Differential Service - $179.95
4. Transfer Case Service - $179.95
5. A/C Evaporator Service - $179.95
6. Ethanol Fuel Treatment - $24.95

The owner manual pg. 263 states that All-Wheel Drive Transfer Case
Under normal driving conditions,transfer case fluid does not require
maintenance unless there is a fluid leak or unusual noise. If required,
have the transfer case serviced by your dealer.

Does anyone knows what is Emmision System Service and A/C Evaporator Service?

Thanks
Ski

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
Hello All,
I took my car to dealership to deal with couple minor issues in addition to do oil/filer change. My car is still under warranty, 2019 TourX.
One of the issues I had was that two USB port in the back of the center consul were not providing power. It was interesting to find out, at least what dealership advisor told me, that those two USB port were not physically connected. Wonder if that was quality issue during build. They also updated my radio because the guidelines were not always displayed when in reversed.
So, like any dealership advisor i got the talk about recommended service and I was shocked with some of the items they were recommending especially when you start comparing to owner manual chapter (Page 336) it does not much. Anyway, I did change the oil / filter for convincer $59.95.

Thanks
Ski
Those all sound like unnecessary services designed to make the dealer money. Haven't seen that at any GM dealer before in Minnesota.

agaric

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2017 Regal GS AWD Crimson Red Tint Coat
Show the guy that page from the manual and ask how any of those "services" are listed there.
Anything emission related should be covered by the warranty.
Find an honest dealer as soon as possible.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
Follow the instructions in the owners manual. Very simple and inexpensive. The dealer is shoveling a large pile of BS at you.

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
To be honest... depending on your skill level, the transfer case and differential fluid changes are pretty beneficial. Everything else is not worth it right now.

mariuszw

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour
Follow the instructions in the owners manual. Very simple and inexpensive. The dealer is shoveling a large pile of BS at you.
I know, I feel bad for folks that just following recommendations and I feel that dealership is taking advantage of those people. I am very handy and DIY guy.

mariuszw

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour
To be honest... depending on your skill level, the transfer case and differential fluid changes are pretty beneficial. Everything else is not worth it right now.
Agree, not very difficult. I usually work on my car by myself. I am handy and to know how to. Feel bad for folks that they may take advantage by the dealers. They recommend spend ~$1000 doe 30k service unnecessarily.

mikegett

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Sport (Essence) and 2015 Buick Enclave (AWD Premium)
Hello All,

Thanks
Skiers
Regarding the USB ports. It’s always possible that the ports were not installed at factory. But , I would be skeptical with that answer. The dealership has already given some shady requests regarding the PM requirements. They get paid for the warranty claim directly from GM. It may be more on there interest to place blame here. Have you owned the car the entire time? To your knowledge, has the car been in for a service in the past. In particular from this dealership. Regarding the factory. Every process control will be different from plant to plant. Not to mention manufacturer. But items. Like the usb are typically a function check and will get caught. It’s possible, the car had a repair prior to ship, but all of this is on the FIC and available to the dealer if needed. Once again. I can’t speak to this plant. And they only test function on the ports at a frequency inspection. But connectors not fully seated are the hardest to catch. Not ones that are non seated.

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
So having been a tech for 20 years and having worked at a dealer lemme see if I can shed some light here.

Most of what they want you to do isn't necessary, yet. Unless they have evidence from working on a ton of tourx changing the diff fluid prolly isn't necessary. However, the manual recommendation of it doesn't need to be changed unless there is a problem is also not great. The lifetime fill transmission is a good example. How long does the fluid last? The life time of the transmission....basically untill it fails, which could be because of the super old fluid. At VW the lifetime fill trans we serviced at 100k. I see no reason to not change the fluid in the diff or trans early, but at the same time, it's not gonna hurt. I think your probably ok on the diff till 50 or 60k, and same with the transmission. Same with the transfer case. Unless they have changed fluid in these things regularly and seen the fluid in very poor condition when they do, I wouldn't worry about it yet. If your keeping the car out of warranty then I'd change the fluids prolly at 60k just because.

Throttle body service is a necessary service, maybe not at 30k though. The throttles get dirty, they all do, and the ECU can only compensate to a point. But they have to be really really bad to get to that point. It's a preventative maintenance thing. But again, unless they see them absolutely filthy at 30k, no reason to do it now.

Emissions service? Who knows, that makes no sense. Only thing I can think of on a tourx that you would service in the emission system would be the PVC system, and you would be draining the factory oil catch can, which is something that probably should be done every 30k. There are a few threads here that talk about it. But again, I'd want to know exactly what an emission service is, cause there really isn't anything to service. This is really vague.

Evaporator service. There are cleaning products you can use to clean the evaporator to prevent or get rid of smell in the AC system. Bacteria growth for what ever reason can be common in lots of cars nowadays, which would be that musty stinky smell in the AC. I've had the smell with my tourx, but it did go away. There is an afterblow function that can be turned on that will run the blower after the car is off for a short time to aid in drying the evaporator to help prevent the smell. But cleaning the evaporator, your evaporator service. It may also Include changing the cabin filter.

The fuel treatment will be a can of fuel system cleaner they will just dump im the tank. Completely unnecessary if you ask me.

Hope that helps clarify. And the USB ports, wouldn't be the first time I saw something not plugged in on a new car. It happens

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
So having been a tech for 20 years and having worked at a dealer lemme see if I can shed some light here.

Most of what they want you to do isn't necessary, yet. Unless they have evidence from working on a ton of tourx changing the diff fluid prolly isn't necessary. However, the manual recommendation of it doesn't need to be changed unless there is a problem is also not great. The lifetime fill transmission is a good example. How long does the fluid last? The life time of the transmission....basically untill it fails, which could be because of the super old fluid. At VW the lifetime fill trans we serviced at 100k. I see no reason to not change the fluid in the diff or trans early, but at the same time, it's not gonna hurt. I think your probably ok on the diff till 50 or 60k, and same with the transmission. Same with the transfer case. Unless they have changed fluid in these things regularly and seen the fluid in very poor condition when they do, I wouldn't worry about it yet. If your keeping the car out of warranty then I'd change the fluids prolly at 60k just because.

Throttle body service is a necessary service, maybe not at 30k though. The throttles get dirty, they all do, and the ECU can only compensate to a point. But they have to be really really bad to get to that point. It's a preventative maintenance thing. But again, unless they see them absolutely filthy at 30k, no reason to do it now.

Emissions service? Who knows, that makes no sense. Only thing I can think of on a tourx that you would service in the emission system would be the PVC system, and you would be draining the factory oil catch can, which is something that probably should be done every 30k. There are a few threads here that talk about it. But again, I'd want to know exactly what an emission service is, cause there really isn't anything to service. This is really vague.

Evaporator service. There are cleaning products you can use to clean the evaporator to prevent or get rid of smell in the AC system. Bacteria growth for what ever reason can be common in lots of cars nowadays, which would be that musty stinky smell in the AC. I've had the smell with my tourx, but it did go away. There is an afterblow function that can be turned on that will run the blower after the car is off for a short time to aid in drying the evaporator to help prevent the smell. But cleaning the evaporator, your evaporator service. It may also Include changing the cabin filter.

The fuel treatment will be a can of fuel system cleaner they will just dump im the tank. Completely unnecessary if you ask me.

Hope that helps clarify. And the USB ports, wouldn't be the first time I saw something not plugged in on a new car. It happens
My Buick dealer said 100K for transmission fluid on the 2.0L. That was after they originally said 45,000 but the dealer double checked with Buick and they said 100,000. Apparently the fluid/service for this transmission is really expensive (I think they said around $900).

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Haaaa 900? I doubt it holds more than 10 quarts. 100$ a quart? I'm sure there is a fluid that isn't from the dealer that would work just fine. Not like the 8 speed is new or revolutionary. Same thing with Mercedes, when the 5 speed auto came out it used fluid that's crazy $$ if you goto the dealer. You can get aftermarket brands, lubrimoly etc etc that are the same. Either way 100k on the trans seems right. I figured 60 or 100. Now I wanna do more research on that fluid, 900$ lolz

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
Haaaa 900? I doubt it holds more than 10 quarts. 100$ a quart? I'm sure there is a fluid that isn't from the dealer that would work just fine. Not like the 8 speed is new or revolutionary. Same thing with Mercedes, when the 5 speed auto came out it used fluid that's crazy $$ if you goto the dealer. You can get aftermarket brands, lubrimoly etc etc that are the same. Either way 100k on the trans seems right. I figured 60 or 100. Now I wanna do more research on that fluid, 900$ lolz

Start here: Regal AWD PTU(transfer case) fluid change DIY

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Interesting they are saying on that thread 45k 'severe service'. I've seen these types of intervals before. I love in LA, car sees plenty of stop and go, that's your severe service. Maybe I'll plan on a 50k Interval for all fluids, trans, transfer case and diff. You can find the transfer case oil for around 50$ a quart it looks like after a quick search.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Apparently the fluid/service for this transmission is really expensive (I think they said around $900).
Yeah... I was only charged $175 and that was including 16 quarts of fluid for the drain and fills or flush (not sure which method is called for). I seriously doubt there's any difference in service time/price between the 8-speed and 9-speed.

I plan on doing trans/transfer/diff/diff clutch services around every 50k miles. Definitely overkill and not cheap at $600 for all services, but since it's my first new car that I will likely keep forever, it's more of an experiment. If something fails, it ain't gonna be due to lack of fluid maintenance lol.

Here's the receipt from when I had the service done at my dealer (also shown in the thread @ChibiBlackSheep referenced):
1631586158740.png

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
Yeah... I was only charged $175 and that was including 16 quarts of fluid for the drain and fills or flush (not sure which method is called for). I seriously doubt there's any difference in service time/price between the 8-speed and 9-speed.

I plan on doing trans/transfer/diff/diff clutch services around every 50k miles. Definitely overkill and not cheap at $600 for all services, but since it's my first new car that I will likely keep forever, it's more of an experiment. If something fails, it ain't gonna be due to lack of fluid maintenance lol.

Here's the receipt from when I had the service done at my dealer (also shown in the thread @ChibiBlackSheep referenced):
View attachment 33133
Yeah I may call a different dealer next time and see if I get the same response. Unusual though because I asked to get the service done but they told me to wait. Usually they will be happy to take your money.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners