Service Battery Charging System

A-Rock

Tulare, CA
2015 Verano
I just reconnected my battery after removing it to replace some parts under the hood. The engine won't start now, and I'm getting a "Service Battery Charging System" message on the instrument cluster screen. When I turn the key to start, I just hear a click and nothing else. No OBDii codes are appearing on my code scanner. IMG_20190608_104208.jpg
The car was running fine and starting no problem before I removed the battery. But now I don't know what to do. The manual says to take it to a dealer to have it serviced, but since it won't start, that's impossible aside from having it towed. I've already tried jump-starting it with another vehicle.
Electronics are working properly (radio, lights, door locks, etc.).
Does anyone know what I can do to get it running again?

2015 Buick Verano 2.4L FWD Automatic

Last edited:

MelsRegal

Staff member
Regal GS 2017
You did reconnect the cables back to the correct terminals on the battery?
Are you sure the cables are tight?

A-Rock

Tulare, CA
2015 Verano
If the cables are correct and tight, maybe it's time for a new battery if yours is original to the car?
I did tighten the cables down. There was no play in them at all.
I just took the battery to O'Reilly's to have it checked. They said it's at 9 volts so they put it on the charger. I'll be getting a call from them within an hour to let me know if the battery will accept the charge or not.

A-Rock

Tulare, CA
2015 Verano
You did reconnect the cables back to the correct terminals on the battery?
Are you sure the cables are tight?
Yes and yes. It would be very difficult to swap the terminals because of how the battery fits in the compartment, and how intricate the leads are. My battery is on the charger right now. I'll find out soon if it's going to hold a charge.

HotZ28

1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
After recharging (if it will) have the battery load tested. Sometimes when you remove a battery, the sediment in the bottom will be disturbed and cause a grounding of the cells.

A-Rock

Tulare, CA
2015 Verano
After recharging (if it will) have the battery load tested. Sometimes when you remove a battery, the sediment in the bottom will be disturbed and cause a grounding of the cells.
If the cells were grounded, is it possible that the sediment would settle and the issue would be resolved over time?

A-Rock

Tulare, CA
2015 Verano
I did tighten the cables down. There was no play in them at all.
I just took the battery to O'Reilly's to have it checked. They said it's at 9 volts so they put it on the charger. I'll be getting a call from them within an hour to let me know if the battery will accept the charge or not.
Just got the battery back. It charged and tested good. I re-installed it and the same thing is happening. I guess my only hope is to have it towed to the dealership for service.

HotZ28

1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Did they do a LOAD TEST on the battery? The voltage may look good after a charge, but the load test may fail! You need to have a 500-amp carbon-pile load tester hooked up for 15-sec to see the condition of the battery.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Ditto the Load Test by the previous poster.

If the battery only had 9-volts when you took it in for testing, then that would make it a prime culprit for your problem. Not sure about the sediment thing and but if it's the original battery then there is a good chance you probably need a new battery. A good battery that is actually disconnected should still hold a charge of over 12 volts for several weeks if not months. New batteries can sit on a shelf for many many months and will still have a 12V+ charge.

Lastly, and I'm not trying to be critical, but are sure you actually hooked all the leads up correctly when re-installing the battery, especially the positive side terminal. And I do know you probably didn't get the positive and negative reversed as that would be hard to do with this vehicle. I recently changed the battery in my 2013 and was surprised at how "involved" it was. I actually took pictures of the all the cables and leads as I disconnected it to make sure I got them back in the correct positions. Also, my car actually sat without a battery in it for 3 or 4 days before I was able to get the new one purchased and installed. And it had no problems in starting right up.

Good Luck and let us know the outcome.

Last edited:

Lisa LP429

2013 Verano
I'd like to know too. I'm getting the same warning message and am going to get my battery tested tomorrow.

G-703127

Recently purchased a 2013 lacrosse and having the same issue, had the car on and disconnected the positive cable from the battery so it’s not the alternator. Have no clue what the issue is stemming from

Turbo Buick Badge