Several Questions Regarding Encore

random.hero

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have been a mopar guy forever, but we test drove the new Encore yesterday and we quite like it.

I do have a couple of questions however.

1) Do you have to pay yearly for the navigation? If not, do you have to pay to upgrade the maps annualy? If so, how much?

2) Is there an annual fee for the Intellilink features such as remote start from your cell phone, etc.? If so, how much?

3) I read something misleading about the AWD, so would like to get that cleared up. Several reviews I read mentioned that it'll activate AWD on takeoff, then slowly gives the power to the front until by 37 mpg it has full power to the front. Does that mean it'll never use AWD over 37 mph? Or does it mean that if it doesn't feel any slip after launch that it'll give full power to the front by 37 mph, but it'll stay in AWD if it senses slip? I'm a little confused as to how that works. Living in the northwest and also in the country with a long driveway and crappy roads to work I will need constant AWD.

4) Anybody running into issues that seem to be common with the Encore?

5) We are expecting a baby, and upgrading from a Fiat 500. Is there enough room in the back seat for a carseat and the cargo area for a stroller, etc.?

6) Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance for any help!

adrunk

Silicon Valley
Buick Ownership
1-16-1992
Welcome to the forum ...

I have been a mopar guy forever, but we test drove the new Encore yesterday and we quite like it.

Yep, had a fully restored 1970 AAR 'Cuda show car ... damn I miss that thing!

I do have a couple of questions however.

1) Do you have to pay yearly for the navigation? If not, do you have to pay to upgrade the maps annualy? If so, how much?

2) Is there an annual fee for the Intellilink features such as remote start from your cell phone, etc.? If so, how much?

3) I read something misleading about the AWD, so would like to get that cleared up. Several reviews I read mentioned that it'll activate AWD on takeoff, then slowly gives the power to the front until by 37 mpg it has full power to the front. Does that mean it'll never use AWD over 37 mph? Or does it mean that if it doesn't feel any slip after launch that it'll give full power to the front by 37 mph, but it'll stay in AWD if it senses slip? I'm a little confused as to how that works. Living in the northwest and also in the country with a long driveway and crappy roads to work I will need constant AWD.

4) Anybody running into issues that seem to be common with the Encore?

No, mine has been 100% reliable with no problems of any kind in the 11 months since delivery.

5) We are expecting a baby, and upgrading from a Fiat 500. Is there enough room in the back seat for a carseat and the cargo area for a stroller, etc.?

Carseat yes, stroller in back? I'd go to the dealer to check.

6) Anything else I should know?

We love ours!

Thanks in advance for any help!

:headbang:

Last edited:

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Coming up on 8,000 miles now and rock solid! The Encore is allot of fun if you like high speed sweeping turns with excellent braking. It is easy to jump in and out of running errands and the parking and driving is easy too. The rear parking is difficult to get straight between the lines but the back camera works great.

Pay once for the navigation like most of GM cars.

Intellilink is standard. Onstar starting via smart phone is no cost but is not avilable on the base trim package.

There is a video from GM to press media about the AWD system on Youtube. After a stop the AWD starts 50/50 fron and rear distribution. As the speed increases the bias moves forward if no slip is detected. The power output is not problem spinning the tires on snow after 40 mph with Encore. I. Have Trifecta Tune that will raise the front end and set you back in the seat from a stop, and never had a problem accelerating on slippery conditions to make a pass or merge on the highway. It has no problem getting traction to go around 4WD trucks on the highway too!

Last edited:

NittanyDoug

Buick Ownership
Buick
For the baby... our rear facing car seat fits fine in the center. It's snug for me next to it but my wife fits better back there. The stroller storage will depend on the stroller. No problem for an umbrella stroller but a big stroller like one a car seat mates to will fit but not leave you much other room. Not sure if a BOB stroller will fit. Plenty of room for a pack and play.

random.hero

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Could I get a picture of the rear facing car seat in the middle if it's convenient? I suppose if you put it behind either seat they cannot be sat in up front? Does it fit okay in the middle without issues up front? Thanks!

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Not driven ours on snow as much as I would have liked (wife’s everyday car). But I’d swear that when pulling out light & easy (as I most often drive) I do get about a half revolution of wheel spin in the front before the rear’s kick in – least it kinda feels that way????

I’ll have to see if “tromping on it” makes any difference

Having said that… I’m glad we bought the (sort of) AWD :) - Seems mighty surefooted

NittanyDoug

Buick Ownership
Buick
The only issue with the baby seat in the middle is that there are no latch tethers so you have to use the seatbelt. I'll snap a pic this weekend

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I took a picture of my niece's car seats in the rear if you need it. Not even a skinny person could fit between them.

NittanyDoug

Buick Ownership
Buick
Here's our setup for me driving. I'm not tall at 5'-9". I have plenty of room. The seat/controls memory is great for this as my wife is under 5'. uploadfromtaptalk1393811003307.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1393811024018.jpg

There's probably two inches of travel that I don't use. I could probably get a little further back if I needed. The car seat is a Chico key fit system.

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
I have a 2014 premium, fwd. It was doing fine until last week when I drove over the crappy streets in a nearby city. Now it has a rattle on the left side behind the driver's seat. Taking it to the dealer on Tues or Weds. As the streets are so bad, the noise is almost constant.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!