severe oil leak driver side engine

bbeiser

Buick Ownership
Rendezvous
Greetings,
My son bought a 2002 Rendezvous and recently has developed a "pouring" oil leak somewhere in the vicinity of the starter area. it is above the starter but I cannot seem to locate it. It is so bad now that I have told him to not even start the engine to look for a leak, as all the oil is on the ground. Does anyone have an idea where I can start to look? Thanks

DocDoug

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
'03 Buick Rendezvous
Greetings,
My son bought a 2002 Rendezvous and recently has developed a "pouring" oil leak somewhere in the vicinity of the starter area. it is above the starter but I cannot seem to locate it. It is so bad now that I have told him to not even start the engine to look for a leak, as all the oil is on the ground. Does anyone have an idea where I can start to look? Thanks
More than likely, it is the oil pressure sensor. Common failure on high mileage 3.4 engines. I replaced mine at 150,000, as preventative maintenance.

Facing the engine, from the front of the car, it is located approximately 10” to the right of the oil filter. You will need a mirror to see it.

If it turns out it is the oil filter / gasket or oil cooler hose at the filter, replacing the oil pressure sensor is cheap insurance. Part is less than $20.00.

Good luck and post what it ultimately is.

DocDoug

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
'03 Buick Rendezvous
More than likely, it is the oil pressure sensor. Common failure on high mileage 3.4 engines. I replaced mine at 150,000, as preventative maintenance.

Facing the engine, from the front of the car, it is located approximately 10” to the right of the oil filter. You will need a mirror to see it.

If it turns out it is the oil filter / gasket or oil cooler hose at the filter, replacing the oil pressure sensor is cheap insurance. Part is less than $20.00.

Good luck and post what it ultimately is.
#436 is the oil pressure sensor, on the diagram.

TollKeeper

Brighton, CO
Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus
I would bet money that its the Distributor Delete O-Ring, extremely common, and well known failure point for these engines, going back all the way to 1987.

Part number 431, 430, 401, 402. Part #402 is the distributor delete O-Ring. I have replaced so many of those things, and its quite the pain too on the 3100/3400.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!