Shake at 1-2 Shift

morrisangelo

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Is anyone else getting a gentle shake under moderate acceleration at the 1-2 shift point, and a lesser shake at the 2-3 shift point? My 2014 automatic GS with 26,000 miles has been doing this recently and I wanted to see if it's a known issue with a known solution.

My Buick dealership can't seem to do anything about it, but the long-time service manager there said he is aware of the issue.

Thanks!

DarrenM

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
This is exactly what I am looking for a solution to. Mine randomly does it from 13-15 mph. Everyday I drive it I can feel it but it is not at every start from stop. My feeling is that maybe it is being caused by the half-shafts, but I don't want to spend the time and money if that is not the problem. They look fine but GM has a TSB out for this issue on the AWD versions. Maybe it also affects our cars but not to the degree that GM has issued a TSB?

morrisangelo

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
This is exactly what I am looking for a solution to. Mine randomly does it from 13-15 mph. Everyday I drive it I can feel it but it is not at every start from stop. My feeling is that maybe it is being caused by the half-shafts, but I don't want to spend the time and money if that is not the problem. They look fine but GM has a TSB out for this issue on the AWD versions. Maybe it also affects our cars but not to the degree that GM has issued a TSB?
I've seen the same TSB, and somewhere on the web, a Regal owner had his shake resolved with new halfshafts, but my pretty-up-to-date experienced service adviser said that this is NOT the problem on my car, and he offered no other possiblities.

Yes, the 10-15 mph range is where I'm feeling it to, and like you, it doesn't do it all the time, but it surely does it more consistently when hot and when in lots of start and stop traffic.

My 14 is still under warranty and I'd like for him to change the halfshafts, but without probably cause, he won't send the car through the shop to see if this fixes the problem.

bigregal

Buick Ownership
16 Regal GS
I've seen the same TSB, and somewhere on the web, a Regal owner had his shake resolved with new halfshafts, but my pretty-up-to-date experienced service adviser said that this is NOT the problem on my car, and he offered no other possiblities.

Yes, the 10-15 mph range is where I'm feeling it to, and like you, it doesn't do it all the time, but it surely does it more consistently when hot and when in lots of start and stop traffic.

My 14 is still under warranty and I'd like for him to change the halfshafts, but without probably cause, he won't send the car through the shop to see if this fixes the problem.
Let us know what the dealer does for you. I have a 16 gs with about 8500 miles on it... after you posting this i also noticed a slight shimmy from 1-2, but only sometimes. I usually don't go hard out of the gate because i have the FWD version and get nothing but wheel spin. So i know it probably isn't due to wear and tear being i only have 8500 miles on it.

I wonder if its not transmission related, mine only seems to do it once the car is reached normal operating temperature.

MJ's V

Chicago
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT
Same issue on my '13 Verano Turbo. Out of ten drives it may happen four times at speeds of 5-10 mph. I'm going to take it in at some point and see if I can duplicate the problem for them (dealer).

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
My 2012 GS did this, they replaced the half shafts, and it seems to still do it, but not as often or as aggressive as before. My best guess is traction management, or transmission related, but I'm running an Aisin, I thought the AWD's were a GM tranny?

Buick Ownership
Buick
Just picked up a 2014 premium 2 with only 9400 miles on it, from a dealer, and I have the same problem. Bringing it in for a broken vanity mirror lid (seems a common problem), and having them take a look at the low speed shake/shudder situation also. Will let you know how I do. Also, this is unrelated to this thread, but my car is far from stable on the road, feels strut/shock related due a lot of up and down bouncing. Anyone else have this problem with so little mileage?

morrisangelo

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Just picked up a 2014 premium 2 with only 9400 miles on it, from a dealer, and I have the same problem. Bringing it in for a broken vanity mirror lid (seems a common problem), and having them take a look at the low speed shake/shudder situation also. Will let you know how I do. Also, this is unrelated to this thread, but my car is far from stable on the road, feels strut/shock related due a lot of up and down bouncing. Anyone else have this problem with so little mileage?
Yes...please keep me posted as to what they find, if anything, regarding your shake/shudder. While an otherwise nice, solid car, the shake's honestly starting to get on my nerves.

MJ's V

Chicago
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT
Well as a process of elimination on Monday I decided to drive my car with traction control and stabilitrak off. Since then the shimmy/shake has not returned. Tomorrow I will drive it with just the traction control off to see if the problem returns.

DarrenM

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have tried mine with the Traction Control off and it still does the shake. However, if I drive my car in the manual format and actually shift the gears myself then the shudder is not present. So it leaves me to believe that it does deal somewhat with the cars "brain", shifting the vehicle. Does anyone know if this transmission relies on a certain amount of vacuum to assist with these shifts? i.e. if it has low vacuum then it isn't getting enough to support a smooth shift?

Buick Ownership
Buick
Yes...please keep me posted as to what they find, if anything, regarding your shake/shudder. While an otherwise nice, solid car, the shake's honestly starting to get on my nerves.
I will. I also believe it's transmission related. Like the person who drove without traction control and stability control with some success, I tried taking the car in and out of auto/manual a few times, and the shudder, shake went away. Sure this is not a fix, but it does leave the transmission suspect. We will see what the dealer comes up with on 8/4/17. As far as my shock absorber problem, things seem to be improving. Car was only driven approx 3000 miles a year for 3 years, and probably sat a spell on the dealer lot, so maybe suspension got a little lazy. Can't think of any other reason.

dbruce

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
I had the intake actuator go. One of the early symptoms was a delay as I changed gears. As I have a manual tranny, it was easier to isolate that tranny was not the problem (play with clutch etc). From memory, as this was 2 weeks back, it wouldn't be hard to imagine thinking an automatic was the issue. As I was on a long drive, symptoms went down hill till it started bogging.

May be unrelated.......but keep open to other possibilities.

Buick Ownership
Buick
I have tried mine with the Traction Control off and it still does the shake. However, if I drive my car in the manual format and actually shift the gears myself then the shudder is not present. So it leaves me to believe that it does deal somewhat with the cars "brain", shifting the vehicle. Does anyone know if this transmission relies on a certain amount of vacuum to assist with these shifts? i.e. if it has low vacuum then it isn't getting enough to support a smooth shift?
Got the same result in manual mode, no shake. Just to review, transmission when cold shifts perfectly, at operating temperature shake begins and worsens on hot day with stop and go traffic. My guess something is failing within the transmission, pressure control solenoid etc. in conjunction with hotter thinner fluid, less pressure at slower acceleration, causing some type of clutch problem at lower end. Almost feels like someone learning to drive stick. Dealer might be a little slow at the switch here cause it may involve opening up the transmission to repair.

Buick Ownership
Buick
Just have to say a little more, and don't want to offend happy Regal owners. Again, mine is a 2014 2.0 premium 2, picked up at a dealer with only 9400 miles. So far not impressed with the car. Ride is horrible, clunky steering, seats literally a pain in the you know where, and now this issue with the transmission. Going to replace the struts and shocks which may correct the ride/steering issue, buy a seat cushion, and hope the dealer can take care of the transmission. Some advice. Don't test drive the car with a car dealer salesman that weighs 250 lbs or so, cause it really masked the ride problem.

dbruce

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Just have to say a little more, and don't want to offend happy Regal owners. Again, mine is a 2014 2.0 premium 2, picked up at a dealer with only 9400 miles. So far not impressed with the car. Ride is horrible, clunky steering, seats literally a pain in the you know where, and now this issue with the transmission. Going to replace the struts and shocks which may correct the ride/steering issue, buy a seat cushion, and hope the dealer can take care of the transmission. Some advice. Don't test drive the car with a car dealer salesman that weighs 250 lbs or so, cause it really masked the ride problem.
The above, especially related to suspension, I am curious about. With adaptive suspension, ride on my 2012 GS is firm even in default...bump it up and you move to Bilstein territory. Steering is not "clunky" by my standard....though hard to quantify what that means.

thedant

New Albany, IN
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS
My 13' GS did it one time right after lowering springs were installed. Turning left out of the driveway and the 1-2 was pretty wonky. Hasn't happened again. This was with TC and Stabilitrak off. Kind of scared me because I had a 2000 Maxima that did it too but 10x worse after lowering. From what I gathered back then lowering the Maxima screws up the angles of the CV's and you get excessive vibration. I ended up going back to stock springs on it.

Buick Ownership
Buick
The above, especially related to suspension, I am curious about. With adaptive suspension, ride on my 2012 GS is firm even in default...bump it up and you move to Bilstein territory. Steering is not "clunky" by my standard....though hard to quantify what that means.
Beginning to think it's the struts/shocks. Already looked into Bilstein, but officially they only sanction the rear shock, no front strut yet avlb. KYB's on the stiff side, AC Delco already on it, so that leaves Monroe Oespectrum at a decent price. A friend suggested it may be the tires, but getting way too much deflection, especially with passengers in the rear. Will advz of any progress on the ride, and if the dealer can correct the 1-2 shift shake. Guess gas charged shocks, even with low mileage, can degrade over time. Come to think of it the struts on my wife's 2012 Camry SE aren't doing so hot with only 45,000 on them. Forgot to mention I have the passive suspension on my Regal.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.