• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.
  • In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Shaking Regal

Pat84

Buick Ownership
Regal
Thank you to all of you that have posted replies so far!
I am still dealing with a shaking car. The place which sold me the car is under investigation now as a result of selling me a vehicle with a bent rim. That is nice, but does not resolve my issue. I have had my factory rims and tires rebalanced, again, as per the GM dealership recommendation, but they noted that since the original place of purchase switched the rims are tires with another car on their lot, I have mismatched tires and that they would not pursue with investigating the issue until I replace them with all matching tires. So on my aftermarket rims, I have had one tire with out of round replaced and I have had one rim replaced, and rebalanced about 3 times all at different shops. Brought it back to the dealership. They road-forced balanced my aftermarket tires and rims at no charge. The issue still remains. So on Monday, they are providing me with a rental car, and taking mine in. Apparently my car still has warranty- which a different dealer had initially said it did not. Note that I am putting 1600km weekly on my car, and have full warranty til 80,000 km, and powertrain to 100,000 km, but I am at 73,000 already.
Anyway, once this is actually figured out I will post an update. I do suspect alignment, despite that the car drives straight at any speed, no pulling etc... otherwise as mentioned above by 14blackgs, Constant Velocity axles, or defective /damaged wheel bearings.

On a slight separate note, they mentioned extended warranty to 180.000 km for an additional $5000.... its a lot of money , debating if this is even worth it.

Last edited:

14BlackGS

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS
I am still dealing with a shaking car. The place which sold me the car is under investigation now as a result of selling me a vehicle with a bent rim. That is nice, but does not resolve my issue. I have had my factory rims and tires rebalanced, again, as per the GM dealership recommendation. I have had one tire with out of round replaced. I have had one rim replaced, the latter being on my aftermarket rims. Brought it back to the dealership. They road-forced balanced my aftermarket tires and rims at no charge. The issue still remains. So on Monday, they are providing me with a rental car, and taking mine in. Apparently my car still has warranty- which a different dealer said it did not. Note that I am putting 1600km weekly on my car, and have full warranty til 80,000 km, and powertrain to 100,000 km, but I am at 73,000 already.
Anyway, once this is actually figured out I will post an update. I do suspect alignment, despite that the car drives straight at any speed, no pulling etc.
Keep us informed. Thanks

Jmlo96

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX Essence
I am still dealing with a shaking car. The place which sold me the car is under investigation now as a result of selling me a vehicle with a bent rim. That is nice, but does not resolve my issue. I have had my factory rims and tires rebalanced, again, as per the GM dealership recommendation, but they noted that since the original place of purchase switched the rims are tires with another car on their lot, I have mismatched tires and that they would not pursue with investigating the issue until I replace them with all matching tires. So on my aftermarket rims, I have had one tire with out of round replaced and I have had one rim replaced, and rebalanced about 3 times all at different shops. Brought it back to the dealership. They road-forced balanced my aftermarket tires and rims at no charge. The issue still remains. So on Monday, they are providing me with a rental car, and taking mine in. Apparently my car still has warranty- which a different dealer had initially said it did not. Note that I am putting 1600km weekly on my car, and have full warranty til 80,000 km, and powertrain to 100,000 km, but I am at 73,000 already.
Anyway, once this is actually figured out I will post an update. I do suspect alignment, despite that the car drives straight at any speed, no pulling etc... otherwise as mentioned above by 14blackgs, Constant Velocity axles, or defective /damaged wheel bearings.

On a slight separate note, they mentioned extended warranty to 180.000 km for an additional $5000.... its a lot of money , debating if this is even worth it.
If you have mismatched tires, you are asking for big problems with this car being all wheel drive. It would not surprise me if the vibration is the rear differential shredding itself apart...

powermax

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal Sportback 2019
If you have mismatched tires, you are asking for big problems with this car being all wheel drive. It would not surprise me if the vibration is the rear differential shredding itself apart...
I believe his cars is a fwd Preferred II Sportback

Pat84

Buick Ownership
Regal
Front Wheel drive, not all wheel drive.

Pat84

Buick Ownership
Regal
Well, I’m driving rentals, I’ve had a Silverado with a 4 cylinder, an EV, an Equinox, a 3500 Silverado, and now in a 1500 Silverado ... idk what they’re doing so far with my car, I just know they haven’t fixed it. They say yup there’s a shake, it’s not the wheels, they suggested engine mounts but then changed their opinion, and I’m on week #4 without my car. At least they’re letting me keep the rental on weekends now. I wish Canada had a lemon law!
i suggested to them front axles, or while transmission if they have to but idk ... no real news yet

1500cc

Ontario
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Well, I’m driving rentals, I’ve had a Silverado with a 4 cylinder, an EV, an Equinox, a 3500 Silverado, and now in a 1500 Silverado
What do you think of the 4 cylinder Silverado, especially versus your current Silverado if it has a 5.3? I've heard it's not as bad as expected.

Pat84

Buick Ownership
Regal
What do you think of the 4 cylinder Silverado, especially versus your current Silverado if it has a 5.3? I've heard it's not as bad as expected.
I personally thought it felt cheap and felt disappointed that General Motors would even put that out on the market at all.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Essence
I personally thought it felt cheap and felt disappointed that General Motors would even put that out on the market at all.
A 4-cylinder Silverado?!?! I’ve never heard of such. Sounds about as useful as a football bat. Does it come in pink too? I guess that’s what happens when government regulation drives the market instead of the consumer.

Pat84

Buick Ownership
Regal
Ok it’s been months. The dealership in Sarnia Ont, said “ it’s not that bad, nothing more we can do”. This was after they replaced the front axles cv shafts. They then said it was my tires and sold me a brand new set of Michelin tires ($1100 CAD). This didn’t help anything.
I subsequently called GM customer care who replied that “ we stand behind our technicians”. I took my car into my own hands, and brought it to a private shop, and started from the beginning again. Had them remove all tires from both OEM rims and aftermarket rims. One oem rims is bent, two aftermarket rims are bent. I ordered two new aftermarket rims, which took over a month to get.
The car is much better but still has a shake. I hate driving it. My mother’s Fiesta is smoother and that shouldn’t be.
So… I traded my Regal with my mother’s car, sold the Fiesta, and today am purchasing a ‘08 Buick Allure Super ( same as lacrosse) with the 5.3, and figure that this will do the job. My issue is that put on 1600 km (1000 miles) weekly mostly on the highway so I can’t stand the shake and have racked up over 60,000 miles already ( 97,000 km) so car has little value on market- as in not feasible to sell vs what I owe on it,and I still need to do the travel for another year or so ( I’m not a dick, my momma drives about 10 km per week, and all at low speeds where the car doesn’t shake- she’s quite pleased).
All that to say rims are a big part of the problem and GM was too incompetent to spot that at all. Still not perfect but better.
Due to my poor experience with warranty and customer service and gm in general, when I get my next new car in about 3 more years, I am sad to say it will not be a gm product

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Pat84

Buick Ownership
Regal
A 4-cylinder Silverado?!?! I’ve never heard of such. Sounds about as useful as a football bat. Does it come in pink too? I guess that’s what happens when government regulation drives the market instead of the consumer.
Lmao
It was not a good truck experience lol
I bet it does come in pink 😂

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Essence
Lmao
It was not a good truck experience lol
I bet it does come in pink 😂
I’m beginning to get a visual of high school kids with these 4-cylinder Silverados. Front end lifted, hood scoop, and aftermarket exhaust that sounds like a 10 HP Briggs and Stratton with a rusted out muffler.

As it pertains to your car shakes, how much weight is being used to balance each wheel?

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by bean fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
Ok it’s been months. The dealership in Sarnia Ont, said “ it’s not that bad, nothing more we can do”. This was after they replaced the front axles cv shafts. They then said it was my tires and sold me a brand new set of Michelin tires ($1100 CAD). This didn’t help anything.
I subsequently called GM customer care who replied that “ we stand behind our technicians”. I took my car into my own hands, and brought it to a private shop, and started from the beginning again. Had them remove all tires from both OEM rims and aftermarket rims. One oem rims is bent, two aftermarket rims are bent. I ordered two new aftermarket rims, which took over a month to get.
The car is much better but still has a shake. I hate driving it. My mother’s Fiesta is smoother and that shouldn’t be.
So… I traded my Regal with my mother’s car, sold the Fiesta, and today am purchasing a ‘08 Buick Allure Super ( same as lacrosse) with the 5.3, and figure that this will do the job. My issue is that put on 1600 km (1000 miles) weekly mostly on the highway so I can’t stand the shake and have racked up over 60,000 miles already ( 97,000 km) so car has little value on market- as in not feasible to sell vs what I owe on it,and I still need to do the travel for another year or so ( I’m not a dick, my momma drives about 10 km per week, and all at low speeds where the car doesn’t shake- she’s quite pleased).
All that to say rims are a big part of the problem and GM was too incompetent to spot that at all. Still not perfect but better.
Due to my poor experience with warranty and customer service and gm in general, when I get my next new car in about 3 more years, I am sad to say it will not be a gm product
If you added aftermarket rims and the shake was because of that, how can you blame GM for the problems. The bent rims were caused by you hitting something. After many miles with shaking, I suspect your suspension components are worn and you need new control arm and e rod bushings.

I had a similar problem with my Chevy Volt. After the original OEM tires wore out, I bought a new set of 18” rims wheels and tires. They looked awesome, but I also stopped driving like a grandpa trying to eek out every last mile of EV range and started driving like Jeff Gordon taking on/offramps and speed. I went through many cracked/repaired/bent rims until I couldn’t replace the rims any more (they stopped making the Brand/model rim I was using). I have since reverted back to 17” wheels and tires and driving like a grandpa. But I take full responsibility for this entire escalade as it was me, not the dealership at fault.

Last edited:

G-646585

Hi, this is my first time ever posting, and I have a bit of difficulty navigating all posts...anyway. my issue. 2019 Regal, 2.0 liter fwd, 65,000 km (40,000 miles).
Car shakes, most noticeable 70 kmh and up ( roughly 40 mph and up).
Got wheels balanced, no changes. Got new tires, then balanced, no changes. Got new rims and new set of winter tires, no changes.
It's felt mostly in my floor and seats, but also some in the steering.
Speeding faster seems to increase the intensity of the shake. 112 -115 kmh ( 70 mph) seems to be the worse and most intense. After that you feel it less. 140 kmh and up you don't notice as much ( 80 mph).
Engine RPM's don't affect it at all. If I downshift it a couple gears, it is solely based on speed.
Used car dealership won't come good for it. Fresh out of ideas.
... CV? ( I don't hear clicking when I turn though)... Alignment? ( Car drives and holds a straight line)

Thank you for any input
Could still be CV axles. The clicking is only if the outer end is going bad. Intense vibration could be caused by the innermost end going bad. I've had those exact symptoms you described in a vehicle before...it was the CV axle. Also, I've encountered a shaky car as having a bad upper motor mount as well. Good luck

G-335641

My TourX just went to dealer with the "vibration" at 20,000 miles. Starts at 65 mph and get's worse with speed. Can be felt through the steering wheel and through the seats, like holding onto a handheld massager. As far as I can tell from studying my tires I don't seem to have the "Conti-Silent" tires. (Some might consider mine an "odd" build - it's a 2018 with white needles, newer infotainment system, but no foam in my tires.)

Being serviced by the dealer I bought it from and they came to the house picked up the car. Service advisor rode along with my salesman to pick it up. Brought me a new Encore GX AWD as a loaner.

I'll update when I know more and if/when they cure it.
Are you able to share what the issue was?

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Are you able to share what the issue was?
Sorry thought I did. It was tires. The dealer put a crazy amount of wheel weights on one wheel (way beyond recommended 10% of total wheel tire weight). Had to take it to a local independent tire shop to get the truth.

Pat84

Buick Ownership
Regal
Could still be CV axles. The clicking is only if the outer end is going bad. Intense vibration could be caused by the innermost end going bad. I've had those exact symptoms you described in a vehicle before...it was the CV axle. Also, I've encountered a shaky car as having a bad upper motor mount as well. Good luck
Well, I parked the car for months, and started using my 1995 Yukon… until 3 days ago. Well- I posted elseplace on here, but transmission has all neutrals now. Truly hate my car. Broke 500 miles from home, had to tow it to another dealer as the one onstar towed to wouldn’t provide a courtesy car or rental

Jlemonds

I'll talk about tires in the tire thread and likely not until after I get enough miles on them to at least rotate them once. :)

So the car only has about 20,000 miles on it and originally the tire shop wasn't even pushing me to get an alignment, but I told them - I don't do tires without an alignment that's just the way I am. I was also suspicious about alignment issues when the one tire was "out of round" (or as I've found out the industry term is - a "run out".) Their alignment shop is so busy getting an alignment meant I had to schedule an appointment - which couldn't be had for 3 days.

So 4 tires and one alignment later... THREE of FOUR were out of alignment! Both fronts and one rear. I also noticed that with the new tires there were far less balancing weights on the rims than even when the car left the factory. I've only driven it about 10 miles so far but it feels like a different car. I though things were smooth before but it's even better.
I bought a used TourX just under a month ago and it has some major vibration at highway speeds. I had trouble finding one locally so I ended up driving to a Carmax 3 1/2 hours away. I took it to have the tires balanced twice (the hope claimed their machines sensor was going haywire so they did it a second time for no charge) while waiting for Carmax service to have an opening. It made no difference. Took it to Carmax and they ended up taking it to the dealer after almost a week. I just got it back and it still it pretty bad. Maybe a little better, but not much. I have 30 days to return it which means I pretty much have to drive down tomorrow and miss my dad's 90th birthday and take a train back. Trying to decide what to do. I really like the car, except on the highway. LOL. At any rate, your post gave me some hope. I might just keep taking it back to them to fix it and this time give them some ideas on what to check!

Jmlo96

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX Essence
I bought a used TourX just under a month ago and it has some major vibration at highway speeds. I had trouble finding one locally so I ended up driving to a Carmax 3 1/2 hours away. I took it to have the tires balanced twice (the hope claimed their machines sensor was going haywire so they did it a second time for no charge) while waiting for Carmax service to have an opening. It made no difference. Took it to Carmax and they ended up taking it to the dealer after almost a week. I just got it back and it still it pretty bad. Maybe a little better, but not much. I have 30 days to return it which means I pretty much have to drive down tomorrow and miss my dad's 90th birthday and take a train back. Trying to decide what to do. I really like the car, except on the highway. LOL. At any rate, your post gave me some hope. I might just keep taking it back to them to fix it and this time give them some ideas on what to check!
If it has the stock Continental ProContact TX tires, I’d be 90 percent certain that the noise isolating foam has come loose inside the tire. You can balance them until the cows come home, but until the foam is removed it will vibrate. The correct fix is new tires and that’s what I would want carmax to do.

Jlemonds

If it has the stock Continental ProContact TX tires, I’d be 90 percent certain that the noise isolating foam has come loose inside the tire. You can balance them until the cows come home, but until the foam is removed it will vibrate. The correct fix is new tires and that’s what I would want carmax to do.
I just checked and it does have the ProContact ContiSilent tires. Can the tires be kept if the foam is removed or do the tires need to be replaced?