• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.
  • In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Shaking Regal

Jmlo96

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX Essence
I just checked and it does have the ProContact ContiSilent tires. Can the tires be kept if the foam is removed or do the tires need to be replaced?
In theory the foam can be removed. I've never done it but I'd imagine it would not be easy. I would venture that GM nor Continental would recommend removing the foam. I personally would push for 4 new tires.

MMKRegalTX

Pittsburgh, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
In theory the foam can be removed. I've never done it but I'd imagine it would not be easy. I would venture that GM nor Continental would recommend removing the foam. I personally would push for 4 new tires.
When I got mine replaced at a tire place I asked this question (yes I realize they want to sell me tires), but they said it's difficult because of how they are glued to the tire. It is hard to get out all out evenly. I put Bridgestone potenza's on my tourx and have been happy with them as an all weather tire.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
@Jlemonds It was pretty easy to pull out a portion of foam when I was @ Costco getting new tires. But admittedly I did no try to remove it all. 3 out of 4 tires were separating. Foam separation is a common issue on these.

I'd also push for new tires... But they may put cheap crap on. Some folks (on the Facebook group) were able to get prorated credit from Continental towards new Continentals.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by bean fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
@Jlemonds It was pretty easy to pull out a portion of foam when I was @ Costco getting new tires. But admittedly I did no try to remove it all. 3 out of 4 tires were separating. Foam separation is a common issue on these.

I'd also push for new tires... But they may put cheap crap on. Some folks (on the Facebook group) were able to get prorated credit from Continental towards new Continentals.
Agreed. The 4 tires are something you live with for 30-70k miles. I wouldn’t have CarMax slap on the cheapest tires they can find. I’d pick what you want and the difference in cost in really negligible in the long run. I personally buy new tires at the first indication of tire wear, far in advance of the minimum tread as my family’s safety is more important then the $50-100 you save by delaying. And I’m a big fan of Yokohama Avid Ascend GTs, only because I’ve had them on 3 of my prior cars and they last nearly forever.

kbtuba

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I'm in the same damn boat with the stock ProContact ContiSilent tires. I am pissed at the dealer, as I took it in to get checked and they told me it was a broken belt in the tire. I went to Sam's for replacements (best price by far) and they found the loose foam, it looks like it started at a point were the tire was patched. They removed the foam and rebalanced but I've still got a vibration. My assumption is that another one has some loose due to the brutal cold, and maybe made worse by the frequent car washes that cause rapid temp change on the tires.
So, my questions:
1st, Why would the Dealer not know about the foam in the tire and look for this issue? This gives me little faith in the knowledge at the dealer shop.
2nd, Is this covered under bumper to bumper warranty (seems like a clear defect to me) and has anyone had luck getting new tires on the factory warranty?
3rd, Why is there not a recall on something that can fail in such a bad way. Mine was on the front and it really affected driving dynamics and made it difficult to control at interstate speed.

Attachments

• 0125221727.jpg
    0125221727.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 9

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by bean fields
Buick Ownership
Bumper to bumper is a misnomer as the dealership usually doesn’t usually cover tires, brakes, wiper blades, or batteries during this timeframe. My car made it to 38k miles, and even though the conti’s still had some tread life left on them, I’m happy for an excuse to get new tires with better grip. Let’s say I still have 35-40% tread left, that’s maybe $300-400 worth of tread life, I’d much rather spend $900 on a new set of tires for my family’s safety during a panic stop or wet/icy conditions

BTW, here’s my tire from this morning. Responding to an earlier question, it looks like it is really easy to pull this stuff out as the adhesive isn’t very strong. I tugged at it and it peels right off. Hindsight being 20/20 I could have eeked a few more miles out of these tires by pulling the foam and remounting the tire, then wait for the next one to separate and do it again. But then again, my previous paragraph about not skimping on family safety still stands,

I'm in the same damn boat with the stock ProContact ContiSilent tires. I am pissed at the dealer, as I took it in to get checked and they told me it was a broken belt in the tire. I went to Sam's for replacements (best price by far) and they found the loose foam, it looks like it started at a point were the tire was patched. They removed the foam and rebalanced but I've still got a vibration. My assumption is that another one has some loose due to the brutal cold, and maybe made worse by the frequent car washes that cause rapid temp change on the tires.
So, my questions:
1st, Why would the Dealer not know about the foam in the tire and look for this issue? This gives me little faith in the knowledge at the dealer shop.
2nd, Is this covered under bumper to bumper warranty (seems like a clear defect to me) and has anyone had luck getting new tires on the factory warranty?
3rd, Why is there not a recall on something that can fail in such a bad way. Mine was on the front and it really affected driving dynamics and made it difficult to control at interstate speed.

Attachments

• DD9540DC-7DD2-449B-B750-1C90566AC511.jpeg
    DD9540DC-7DD2-449B-B750-1C90566AC511.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 12

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
So, my questions:
Dealers are idiots.

I reported the vibration issue at 20,000 miles, dealer "investigated" and proceeded to put far more balance weights on the tire than recommended. 50 miles later the vibration was back.

Proceeded directly to local tire shop and bought for new tires. FYI Continentals warranty for manufacturing defects is only 12,000 miles.

stembridge

Buick Ownership
I reported the vibration issue at 20,000 miles, dealer "investigated" and proceeded to put far more balance weights on the tire than recommended. 50 miles later the vibration was back.

Proceeded directly to local tire shop and bought for new tires. FYI Continentals warranty for manufacturing defects is only 12,000 miles.
Hey, PricipalDan! We're pushing 60K on our '18, and wife started complaining about vibration a couple months ago. She just got back from a long-distance trip to visit her sister, and said the vibration is worst when accelerating or decelerating, and is not necessarily speed-dependent. I will test drive it myself sometime in the next week when I need to run into town and can get it up to highway speeds.

I have a new set of Michelins sitting in the shop, and while the OEM Continentals still have some life in them, I'll likely go ahead and have the Michelins put on with an alignment and RF balancing. I do plan to put the car up on my QuickJacks and take a peek at the rear drive shaft and diff seal.

Still love the car, and hope to see 200K+ out of it.

es

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Coming up on 3rd rotation (15,000 miles of use) on the Hercules high performance all seasons I put on to replace the Continentals. Still happy with 'em. At least as good as the Continentals in the snow (if not a little better) and far more predictable and sharp on handling. My biggest issue with the Continentals (besides the detaching foam) was that the loss of grip in hard cornering wasn't progressive and predictable. It was grip grip grip... INTO THE WEEDS!

stembridge

Buick Ownership
…wife started complaining about vibration a couple months ago. She just got back from a long-distance trip to visit her sister, and said the vibration is worst when accelerating or decelerating, and is not necessarily speed-dependent. I will test drive it myself sometime in the next week when I need to run into town and can get it up to highway speeds.
Test drove the car yesterday, and feel confident it's foam separation in the tires, so I'll go ahead and get the Michelins mounted and will report back on whether that corrects the issue.

es

SteelieB

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick TourX
Getting rid of the foam today on my Tourx. Tires have 25k miles. Started to get wheel vibration last week around 55mph. At higher speed the vibrating is worse when the car is accelerating. Tire guy said foam is coming off on 2/4 tires. I will see if I can get a few bucks out of Conti. They should have to pay for the service of taking that crap out.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

stembridge

Buick Ownership
Test drove the car yesterday, and feel confident it's foam separation in the tires, so I'll go ahead and get the Michelins mounted and will report back on whether that corrects the issue.

es

IMG_7109.jpeg Michelins went on today, tire shop said foam had come loose in two tires. Wife's happy with the smooooooth ride now!

es

yukondon

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
GET NEW TIRES. Cause of the vibration is the foam. Like everyone else, I was experiencing vibration at 50+ mph. Tried rebalancing - no luck. Moved ties from front to rear trying to isolate the problem - nope. Replaced all four tires (at 42K - but with a ton of tread left and no unusual wear) and the problem was solved. Just returned from a 5-hour drive. Drives like a new car.

Jlemonds

Hi, this is my first time ever posting, and I have a bit of difficulty navigating all posts...anyway. my issue. 2019 Regal, 2.0 liter fwd, 65,000 km (40,000 miles).
Car shakes, most noticeable 70 kmh and up ( roughly 40 mph and up).
Got wheels balanced, no changes. Got new tires, then balanced, no changes. Got new rims and new set of winter tires, no changes.
It's felt mostly in my floor and seats, but also some in the steering.
Speeding faster seems to increase the intensity of the shake. 112 -115 kmh ( 70 mph) seems to be the worse and most intense. After that you feel it less. 140 kmh and up you don't notice as much ( 80 mph).
Engine RPM's don't affect it at all. If I downshift it a couple gears, it is solely based on speed.
Used car dealership won't come good for it. Fresh out of ideas.
... CV? ( I don't hear clicking when I turn though)... Alignment? ( Car drives and holds a straight line)

Thank you for any input
That year and mileage is still covered under factory warranty. I would recommend taking it to the dealer and see if they can sort it out.

jmf432

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportback
Getting rid of the foam today on my Tourx. Tires have 25k miles. Started to get wheel vibration last week around 55mph. At higher speed the vibrating is worse when the car is accelerating. Tire guy said foam is coming off on 2/4 tires. I will see if I can get a few bucks out of Conti. They should have to pay for the service of taking that crap out.
Did you get any money back? I believe I'm now experiencing this issue on my 18 Sportback with ~23.5k miles on it (still under warranty because I bought it in July 2019). Lots of vibration, noticable once I get to ~50+mph.
I noticed this in the warranty booklet bot not sure if our foam tire separation is included. If so I'll take it to the dealer, otherwise I'll probably go elsewhere.
1651149868947.png
1651149883652.png

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Did you get any money back? I believe I'm now experiencing this issue on my 18 Sportback with ~23.5k miles on it (still under warranty because I bought it in July 2019). Lots of vibration, noticable once I get to ~50+mph.
I noticed this in the warranty booklet bot not sure if our foam tire separation is included. If so I'll take it to the dealer, otherwise I'll probably go elsewhere.
View attachment 37365
View attachment 37366
Has every service included a rotation? THey might help you. If you've missed even ONE rotation they'll probably deny you.