Shopping - Verano T vs Regal GS

Thinkmatt

Pinckney, MI
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Turbo
I'm pretty sure this issue has been discussed at length before, and I'll admit, I have probably read every piece of review/comparison/shootout media there is, but coming to a final conclusion is tough. I'm certainly on the fence between the GS and the Verano Turbo.

Both are (of course):
2.0L Turbo 4's with comparable performance #'s
Manual Trans

What I like about the Verano T:
Gas mileage (I drive 60 miles one way to work)
Rear styling
Price
Weight

What I like about the Regal GS:
HID Headlights
HiPer Strut suspension
Seats
Intellilink control (minor issue), on the middle of the console

All that being said, did any of you cross-shop these models and what did you think made you go one way or another? I'll say I'm leaning more toward Verano right now due to cost, gas mileage, and weight and giving up the features from the GS. (ie: my wallet will thank me later)

I've driven both as well and certainly enjoy both...but the Regal DID feel a little more sluggish (literally felt a little heavier).

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
Step 1, get over the manual thing and buy a LaCrosse
Step 2, move way closer to work because the gas mileage is terrible :)

Back in 2011 I was dead set on a Regal but during test drives found it lacked features I wanted (HUD, ventilated seats, articulating HIDs, power sunshades, blind spot mirrors (maybe they come with some of that stuff now?)). Eventually my wife talked me into trying a LaCrosse and it was easy to see that it was the car for us (I'm in my 40's and have been rowing gears since I was 16, I'm over it). Since then I've also driven the Verano and I prefer it's interior to the Regal but man is that back seat cramped. Good luck with your decision, it can be tricky!

Thinkmatt

Pinckney, MI
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Turbo
It's funny you mention the Lacrosse. ;-) I come from a background of two-time ownership of a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (1998 and 2004 models). Those had the HUD and I absolutely LOVED it!! (IMO, GM should put this on ALL CARS!) I just took a drive of a Lacrosse yesterday and while it was a really smooth ride it seemed to lack a little of the aggressiveness I still want in my daily driver. Features wise, it's spot on...HID's, HUD, ventilated seats (take it or leave it for me).

Back seat..well, I'm not in HS anymore, so I don't need it :rolleyes: ...and I have two small kids, so they don't need the space yet. (Other than my kids, I rarely travel with back seat passengers.)

I at least mulled the idea of a Lacrosse over....for a split second. ;-)

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
The LaCrosse isn't even the picture when you weigh options vs a used Turbo Verano. Besides air seats and articulating heads the 2012 rental we had only had a marginally better and was not any quieter with much more road noise than the Verano.

I haven't been in a Regal but the Verano is as quiet as they come including classes above it. The GS's almost 3,800 lbs must be a porker compared to 500 lbs(two big people extra) lighter Verano. The steering response and brakes are all razor sharp but yet light tto the touch and evenly weighted on the VT. The handling does go away to understeer if you thithinkk you'll be sliding this car around. But a Holden Cruze rear sway bar will cure most of that. There are coilover suspensions too if you want to experiment.

longislander

LI, NY
Buick Ownership
'15 Encore Premium FWD White Pearl/Saddle (wife's car)
I have a Regal GS and my wife has a (non-turbo) Verano. I don't think there are any suspension or tire improvements on the Verano T so I can tell you that from a ride-and-handling point of view the Regal feels much more "athletic". It also has a more "aggressive" appearance, as befits a performance model. There is also a substantial improvement in rear-seat room with Regal over Verano.
But even though the Regal GS is a much sportier looking-and-feeling car, the Verano better exemplifies in every way what a BUICK should be...smooth, quiet, plush seats, and an overall "premium" feel to the cabin.
You can't go wrong with either one!

Thinkmatt

Pinckney, MI
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Turbo
@Sarah - Yea, I am thinking that the Verano will be the choice for me. The fuel economy of even the turbo model is just something I can't ignore. Suspension is always something that can be dealt with/upgraded, the weight from a GS is there to stay. Just waiting for some work pieces to fall into place before I commit...but I'm out looking. :)

@turbolover - I will DEFINITELY be getting a manual, no matter how far I have to drive to get one. I'd like Luxo Blue, but most of the other colors are great. I just had a silver car for 7 years, so that would be my last choice. I'm not sure if the "Summit White" color is available on the turbo model. I'm not a fan of WDT...give me WHITE..not "cream colored". But beyond that, most any will do.

@Sonny - Yes, speed is definitely a factor. ;-)

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Search on yahoo autos for premium models. There was a blue one in Iowa when I was looking a few months ago. The saleslady made a youtube video as she knew I was from a few states away.

Thinkmatt

Pinckney, MI
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Turbo
Yea, I've seen that one. Just hoping it will be there when I am ready to buy. If not, I am flexible. I'm also willing to drive! :)

Marc Town

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick
Regal is a car where germans from OPEL were behind using top notch engineering for long time to design a complete car called Insignia.
Then OPEL moved to finalize the design of the ultimate hothatch called Astra OPC but then Buick from USA asked OPEL to overnight design and build a sedan car to be sold in US under name Verano, so germans took a little bit of this and a little bit of that to make it.
Regal has a lot more engineering behind its design and would recommend that one.

Mr Bill

North Carolina
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano
When I set out that morning to buy a new car, I had my sights set on a new Regal - not a GS, just a regular Regal. However, my dealer did not have any in stock. Thinking about this, it has been a long time since I have seen a Regal on the lot. Furthermore, there is only ONE Regal that I see around town with any frequency. Based on this, I'm inclined to think that here in my part of rural NC, for economic or some other reason, Regals just don't sell well locally. Therefore, I bought a Verano that I am extremely pleased with so far.

And, after finding the Buick Verano, Lacrosse, and Regal Forum, I am glad that I went with the Verano. Not meaning to play devil's advocate, but it appears, at least to me, that a greater number of Regal owners are experiencing problems with their cars than are Verano owners. I realize that the Regal has been out far longer than the Verano so that may be part of it, or again, it might just be me.

Mr. Bill

Thinkmatt

Pinckney, MI
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Turbo
Mr. Bill,

Again, just from the posts, I would tend to agree. Some other issues that I see come up from the GS crowd are wheel and tire issues. While I'd opt for the 19's, it does still seem like they run into a few more problems.

That being said, they are both great cars and certainly, to each their own.

Pretty sure a 6MT Verano Turbo is the winner. Now, to wait patiently for some work stuff to sort itself out...and then tracking down "the right one".

Mods after that: Tint, Tune, Suspension or DP....

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Tom Ahl in Lima, Ohio, has a red/cashmere Turbo Verano with roof and NAV for $22,900. :)

jimmyh

Floating like a Buick
Chicagoland
Buick Ownership
15 Enclave, 16 Verano Turbo, 2010 Camaro SS
I would definitely get the Verano over the Regal. The Regal has the superior chassis, no question. But unless you are racing, who cares? And if you are racing, there are many better choices. If I was looking at the Regal, I would be looking harder at the ATS. For a few grand more, it will blow the Regal away.
And definitely get a manual if you can find one. The Verano manual is mushy, like most modern manuals, but you will get used to it.

Mikebinok

Oklahoma
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano Turbo
When I was shopping at the beginning of the year, I also find the Regal short on features compared to the Verano. My memory is that you couldn't get a backup camera on the Regal, but surely I am mistaken, that seems nuts.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!