Short lived TourX

g_370287

Since GM seems to be exiting the car market I would guarantee that the TourX will only be around for a couple more yrs (maybe not even that long) Buick seems to have no idea on how to sell this wonderful car. I have mine 10 months and have yet to see another on the road and I live on Long Island where just about every family has 3 or 4 cars!) Not sure why GM is so willing to let this car die on the vine...They need to aggressively advertise with some catchy ads.....Current commercials barely mention the Tourx at all. Maybe since they are made by Opel GM really doesn't care BUT they are the only american maker that makes a station wagon. Not only have I not seen another Tourx in 10 months but those that see mine ask what it is..and are shocked when I mention the words Station Wagon.....Hope it's around in 2 more yrs so I can lease another....BAD MOVE GENERAL MOTORS!!!!!!

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
Unfortunately people don't want sedans or wagons. Crossovers are in right now. Add to that that the Buick brand still has the "old person" stigma, its a major uphill battle. I don't think more advertising is going to help very much.

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Apparently the average age of a Buick buyer is 70. That's the AVERAGE! So yeah, not exactly appealing to 30 to 40 somethings. I'm 50, I guess I'm bringing down the average, but not by much.

75miguel75

Elgin Il
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS
I am almost bought the tourx. I drove a white one and loved it. Then I looked into the buick GS. Enjoyed that one. The hatch is what sold me on getting the GS. If I could, I can see myself getting the Tourx as second car to drive. I am 43 of age. Don't see how it's still an old man's car when people are always surprised finding out it's a buick

BrianCoasters

Buick Newbie
Greensboro, NC
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
It really is a shame. This car is an AWD wagon sweet spot compared to others: Golf Attrack (smaller, less power), Outback (too tall/CUV-ish), and 3-series/A4 Allroad/V60 (more expensive, still smaller).

The CUV-obsession is here to stay for the time being, unfortunately. I think most of them look dumpy or awkward, not to mention the penalized handling, but people love them.

I guess I'm bringing the average age down a little (31 here), but maybe this car would've done better as a Chevy? I get plenty of compliments on it, though.

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
It really is a shame. This car is an AWD wagon sweet spot compared to others: Golf Attrack (smaller, less power), Outback (too tall/CUV-ish), and 3-series/A4 Allroad/V60 (more expensive, still smaller).

The CUV-obsession is here to stay for the time being, unfortunately. I think most of them look dumpy or awkward, not to mention the penalized handling, but people love them.

I guess I'm bringing the average age down a little (31 here), but maybe this car would've done better as a Chevy? I get plenty of compliments on it, though.
I agree with everything you say. We rented an Alltrack through (can't remember the name of the app) for a week, and I didn't love it at all. Just didn't do the trick. I'm super excited about the TourX. Signed the paperwork and sent it back today, now I just have to get it to San Francisco, at which point I'll have the only TourX in all of California.... ;)

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
32 here.

It’s sad how many people buy based on stigma and image rather than what would work well for them. I get a sense of pride when I’m out and about. Maybe it’s knowing I’m in something unique among the sea of CUV and SUV.

This is one hell of a great German AWD wagon. If they offered a diesel I would have bought two and retired my aging Jetta wagon.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Apparently the average age of a Buick buyer is 70. That's the AVERAGE! So yeah, not exactly appealing to 30 to 40 somethings. I'm 50, I guess I'm bringing down the average, but not by much.
Buick average buying age is about 58-years old and dropping. It is a little over Lexus but well below Lincoln.

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Buick average buying age is about 58-years old and dropping. It is a little over Lexus but well below Lincoln.
I saw an article that suggested that Buick claimed 60, but an outside group determined that it was 70, but I dunno! Based on the responses here, it seems clear that the TourX appeals to a much younger demographic.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I'm 38, too... Everybody who has ridden in my TourX has liked it a lot.

My area is a sea of Outbacks and Volvo wagons of various vintages, so I'd think the car would be a hit here. I don't think anybody knows it's out there other than car enthusiasts. I've only seen one other TourX anywhere outside of the dealer.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I love the TourX more and more. To me it is the perfect daily driver.
I always loved my 70 and 76 Safaris I bought used back in the 70's
Have been wanting another wagon ... the bigger ultra high performance all season tires made it a sports wagon, that thinks its a mountain goat in the snow.
PS I lower average age but not by much.IMG_20181206_153401502.jpg
LJ

Last edited:

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
2011 Regal Turbo (T03) - 6 sp manual & 2013 Verano Turbo
I have yet to see a TourX in the wild here too. There is a lot to like about the car a nd would be on my short list.

kmingis

Sustaining Member
RI
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX (Essence)
57 here, so maybe bringing down the average age a little. But I love mine! And will be looking to re-up in a couple of years (or sooner)!

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Humboldt County, CA; or Germany
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
Opel's not doing all that well in Europe, either. I hardly ever see an Insignia wagon here, though wagons are commonplace and sell well.

I wouldn't be surprised if PSA kills off the Insignia after this generation and/or replaces it with a re-badged Peugeot/Citroen.

My area is a sea of Outbacks and Volvo wagons of various vintages, so I'd think the car would be a hit here...
This is what I don't get. The TourX is better than the Outback in every way, but Subaru sells Outbacks like hotcakes... Better marketing? More consistent brand-image? I dunno.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I saw an article that suggested that Buick claimed 60, but an outside group determined that it was 70, but I dunno! Based on the responses here, it seems clear that the TourX appeals to a much younger demographic.
"...It is making progress with younger consumers, data show. Buick uses J.D. Power's Power Information Network (PIN) data. It showed in 2008 the average age of a Buick buyer was 63. This year, it has dropped to 58, Brook said."

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2018/06/27/gm-buick-enclave-regal-sales/717550002/

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Humboldt County, CA; or Germany
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
58 may seem old (it doesn't to me; I'm 44), but I don't think that's radically older than the median/average Toyota buyer.

FWIW, I only bought one new car before I was 30, and I've now only bought two new cars, but my baby-boomer parents and their generation seem to buy a new car every couple years.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Buick has tried over the years to get into the youth market, but it's been a day late on most of its efforts. The GSX of the late 60's went almost unknown until collector status, the HAWK marketing campaign, the GN and then blank air for a follow-up, a bunch of trying on other models but either the wrong car or at the wrong time, sometimes both LOL. The TourX is a step in the right direction and a good vehicle but the timing may be it's only fault.

milicz

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Tour X
Count me in as someone who likes the fact that these are rarely seen on the streets, I'm not interested in driving the same car as half the block. I've seen one all black with tinted windows in Chicago. Although my other German ride is even rarer:

Attachments

BrianCoasters

Buick Newbie
Greensboro, NC
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
This is what I don't get. The TourX is better than the Outback in every way, but Subaru sells Outbacks like hotcakes... Better marketing? More consistent brand-image? I dunno.
I think you've mostly nailed it. One of the few reasons (some) automotive reviewers or mags say the Outback is better is that it has more ground clearance. Okay...if that's so important, get an actual SUV lol. Then it also gets pointed out that the base price is lower... but what gets left out is that the base engine in the Outback is much weaker.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.