Should air shocks balloon?

shelmer80

04 Le Sabre
Rear end was sitting low. I installed air shocks. The pump runs the car seem stable it rides good. My concern is that the air shocks are not working they do not balloon out or anything? The pump runs when I start the car and when I'm on Slants. I sprayed soapy water and it bubbles by the connector going into the shock?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Not clear if you had air suspension and just installed aftermarket shocks, if this is the case the OEM airlines need to be replaced to work with the aftermarket shocks. If you are seeing air bubbles then you have a leak so make sure you have the correct fittings and lines.

shelmer80

04 Le Sabre
Not clear if you had air suspension and just installed aftermarket shocks, if this is the case the OEM airlines need to be replaced to work with the aftermarket shocks. If you are seeing air bubbles then you have a leak so make sure you have the correct fittings and lines.
I replaced what was on the car with KYB air shocks. I did nothing with the airlines besides plug them into the new shocks I installed. Will the automatic leveling system not work with those?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Most aftermarket shocks have different fitting then the OEM, the new shock may have come with there own lines but I'm not sure on the KYB.

shelmer80

04 Le Sabre
Most aftermarket shocks have different fitting then the OEM, the new shock may have come with there own lines but I'm not sure on the KYB.
Nothing, just the shocks and mounts came with them. So I should look for KYB compatible air line fittings? I was at the parts yard today and actually took the airlines off of a 2007 Lucerne. I was hoping that might stop the leak.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
You could see if KYB has lines by asking them directly, Monroe has airlines but I wouldn't know if they work on KYB. I believe there may be adaptor airline kits available but haven't had the experience so maybe someone else on the forum can add additional information.

HotZ28

1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Do you have the spring clip elbow connector, or the threaded type of fitting connecting the air line to the shocks? Either one should have an O-ring on the hose where the fitting connects. Are you sure that O-ring did not stay in the old shocks?

shelmer80

04 Le Sabre
Do you have the spring clip elbow connector, or the threaded type of fitting connecting the air line to the shocks? Either one should have an O-ring on the hose where the fitting connects. Are you sure that O-ring did not stay in the old shocks?
That's possible. I have the spring clip elbow connector. I will have to check that out tomorrow.

shelmer80

04 Le Sabre
Thanks for your help. I hooked up the connector hose from the 07 Buick Lucerne. Now the shocks are working properly so it was bad air hose.

shelmer80

04 Le Sabre
You could see if KYB has lines by asking them directly, Monroe has airlines but I wouldn't know if they work on KYB. I believe there may be adaptor airline kits available but haven't had the experience so maybe someone else on the forum can add additional information.
Thanks for your help and info. I hooked up the Air Line connector I took off the 07 Buick Lucerne. The shocks are working properly now. So it was just bad Airline.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Good to hear on the follow up. If you can after having them in for awhile let the forum know how they ride and handle, always good to get owners feedback.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!