• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Show us your best shot

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
The wife's new 2019 Dark Moon Blue TourX purchased Saturday. DC1, DC2, S&S packages. Ignore the dust, I had mowed the yard earlier and roof rails put in storage. Picked up the first rock peck on the hood driving home. :rolleyes: Got to find the correct paint pen. Looking to have the windows tinted before going on vacation. The first TourX sold in central MS, only Dark Moon Blue in MS. Getting a lot of curious looks. Updates will come after a bit of time, stereo upgrades, tune, wheels/tires, and other updates inspired by the RoRi Buick Regal Sports Tourer project.
At least you didn't have this happen. Barely a month old 😢😔😔😔
While washing my car... I thought the tailgate cleared the garage door but I thought wrong smh

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
At least you didn't have this happen. Barely a month old 😢😔😔😔
View attachment 16081
While washing my car... I thought the tailgate cleared the garage door but I thought wrong smh
View attachment 16082
So sorry. I feel your pain. A few years back I replaced the hatch struts on my wife's truck. When I was done I opened the garage door and it gouged the door and broke the glass. As it turns out the new struts lifted it about 2" higher and now the door doesn't clear. Live and learn I guess.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
So sorry. I feel your pain. A few years back I replaced the hatch struts on my wife's truck. When I was done I opened the garage door and it gouged the door and broke the glass. As it turns out the new struts lifted it about 2" higher and now the door doesn't clear. Live and learn I guess.
Yeah.... It's not the worst but definitely sucks...

Now to try and fix it myself with the touch-up paint from the dealer or drop $250+ for a shop to do it 🤔🤔🤔

Last edited:

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
That sounds crazy high. Where are you located?
California 😔

he was like yeah we have to remove all these emblems we got to remove the tail lights because when we go to clear coat we're going to have to clear coat the whole panel. I mean I'm no expert but that doesn't seem necessary

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
Wonder what you can cover it with that will not scream, 'I'm hiding a scratch"
I already bought the factory touch up kit... It has the correct color and clear coat in a small applicator. Might have to see how good I can do then if that is that bad I'll save up to get it professionally done. OEM touch up was only $13 on Amazon.

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
California 😔

he was like yeah we have to remove all these emblems we got to remove the tail lights because when we go to clear coat we're going to have to clear coat the whole panel. I mean I'm no expert but that doesn't seem necessary
He's right, unfortunately.

In the old days new lacquer would melt into old lacquer.

But the fancier base/clear of today are even worse than even 25-30 years ago for "witness lines".

You can't feather the clear coat and get a nice glossy blend line. Industry standard is to feather the color coat within a panel, never end on a panel line, but then clear coat the entire panel.

If not repainting the entire panel, then the option in your case would be to drop fill color within the chip/gouge just below the surface, drop fill clear to just above the surface. Let cure, sand and polish.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
If not repainting the entire panel, then the option in your case would be to drop fill color within the chip/gouge just below the surface, drop fill clear to just above the surface. Let cure, sand and polish.
Well since I have the touch up already I might as well give it a go. At least it will protect it for the time being and hopefully will turn out OK. It's small enough that I can live with OK.

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Well since I have the touch up already I might as well give it a go. At least it will protect it for the time being and hopefully will turn out OK. It's small enough that I can live with OK.
Look up some videos on touching up chips and gouges on guitar finishes!

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
R... that carrier looks good, do they custom paint or just have few colors?
Thule has Titan (which you see there), Black, or White available for colors. When I saw Titan was available I figured I'd try it. It ended up complimenting my Smoked Pearl X quite well.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
BT - That car is exactly what I plan to get - just got to get past my daughter's wedding in the fall - and if I lived in FLA, I'd try to tee it up with you - haha !
Funny thing is I bought the car in Cleveland because it was one of the few 2018's left on the east coast with the options I wanted. Flew up on Allegiant for $60 and drove it back.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Thule has Titan (which you see there), Black, or White available for colors. When I saw Titan was available I figured I'd try it. It ended up complimenting my Smoked Pearl X quite well.
Thanks, looks like that color would look good with quicksilver too... how much did mpg go down do you think?
I have rails on Snugtop on truck, so color would look good with silver birch metallic too.
Did you use shortest Thule hardware? 20190402_104336.jpg

Last edited: