Sound Canceling question

SR45

Buick Ownership
2015 Encore Leather, Pear White
2015 leather encore question....

Does one have to have the radio button turned on, or on low to activate the sound canceling feature or does it just work without any impute by the driver ? Can't find this info in the manual unless I'm blind. :confused:

Thank to anyone in the know...

Foursoors

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore Convenience
The short answer is No. Here's a quote from a longer article:
"Buick has also taken more traditional steps to quiet down the ride in the Encore: an acoustically treated headliner, sound-absorbing materials, and an acoustic-laminated windshield, among other things. Active noise cancellation is always on, even if you turn the audio off, and it’s standard on every Encore—even those that don’t have the optional Bose audio system, priced at $595. For a car that starts just under $25,000, the amount of refinement it’s aiming for is pretty ambitious."
http://www.jeanknowscars.com/cool-tech/new-car-features/buick-encore-noise-cancellation/

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
As a sideline….. I’ve always pondered, does it really do anything & can it be turned on/off to test/validate?

Buick_ANC.jpg

IMG_3727.jpg

HowY

Buick Ownership
‘13 Encore
As a sideline….. I’ve always pondered, does it really do anything & can it be turned on/off to test/validate?

you can verify - I can toss the "subwoofer" in to a tizzy easy
- remove the plastic rear deck
- open driver side windows (front and rear)
- cruise around 53-55 mph
- enjoy the maddness

yes the system "works" radio on or off
but open window driving gets that little
4" sub all spastic on a calm day ....

if you actually disconnect the system
the cabin is a bit louder....

CarbonBlackCXS

Just marketing? Anyone ever disconnect the microphone to measure in dB how effective the noise cancellation really is? If the cabin is truly quieter then it should be measurable.

GoMich

Buick Ownership
Buick
Yes its louder. Exhaust noise is very loud at certain engine prm and load. Sub in spare tire is mostly fighting exhaust resonance noise.

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
What I have found that it quiets down, is the rain, and more specifically, the noise the tires make while driving on a wet road. That constant splash type noise.

Mission Control

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Troy, MI
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Encore with saddle interior, Espresso exterior
Hi, I'm Mission Control. First time post. I've often wondered how to check if the noise cancellation was working. After researching many threads and techniques, I found the following will confirm the system is at least working (degree of effectiveness not addressed):

1) Encore must have cool engine
2) After starting, it will idle at around 1500 RPM for a short time.
3) During this time, take your hands and cover the microphone pickups in the headliner (about 1 1/2" diameter round)
4) with one hand covering the passenger side tightly, use the other hand to tap/slap the driver-side microphone. You should hear a "bonk" sound like someone plunked a string on a bass guitar. As soon as the idle goes to normal (or the engine is warm), you can't do this.

It's a lot safer than driving and trying to tap/slap the microphone. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
My Encore is quieter than any other car I have owned. I have no doubt that it is working.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!