• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Space Saver Spare Tire Size TourX Essence

mambopalace

Buick Ownership
TourX
If anyone knows the proper size space saver wheel & spare tire, could you advise as to what size I should be buying and if we have a vendor that would be good to use. Would like it to fit in the wheel well also.
Thanks,
Rich D

Last edited:

mambopalace

Buick Ownership
TourX
OK, so I'm confused...The standard tire size for the TourX shows 235/50R18...

Are you saying Part 84095141 which apparently is a 17" wheel and a 125/70R17 tire is the proper size spare I need for the 18" TourX ?

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
18" will NOT fit in the spare tire wheel well. The 125/70:17 will fit.

I got mine from a Recycling Center (junk yard) off of a late model 2000's Buick. Also got the jack from the same recycled car. Fits in wheel well upside down including Woofer and jack.

mambopalace

Buick Ownership
TourX
18" will NOT fit in the spare tire wheel well. The 125/70:17 will fit.

I got mine from a Recycling Center (junk yard) off of a late model 2000's Buick. Also got the jack from the same recycled car. Fits in wheel well upside down including Woofer and jack.
So, the 17" rim will be OK as a temporary spare where the other wheels are 18"? Just want to be sure.
Thanks,
Rich

Banto

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence - Dark Moon Blue, 2018 Regal TourX Essence - Rioja Red, 2009 Enclave CXL
And, does it fit with the subwoofer?

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
The only thing that does not fit, is the "styrofoam" that holds the woofer. I just saved in my storage shed. As I said on my previous post, in order for the woofer and jack to fit, the spare must be installed upside down. The Buick spare from the late 2000's LCrosse, etc, WILL clear the calipers if you need to install on car.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Does it all hold down with orignal fastner?
And do you have to put on front so not to freak out the AWD system?

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Holds down with original fastener.

Don't know about putting on a specific corner, but I see no problem with it as the differentials and clutches should make it drivable until you can get the problem tire fixed. I see many cars driving on their small spare tires with no problems.

JoeBlog

Buick Newbie
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
It’s not about just the wheel size - the overall diameter of the spare counts for much more. If it’s not at least 85% of the diameter of the tire it’s replacing, it can cause strain on the driveline if driven at highway speeds or for a substantial distance. That’s why it’s called a “temporary” spare.

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
From reading the international manuals, it appears the car eventually figures out you have a smaller spare on, and it won't damage the vehicle.

As to which corner it goes on, it shouldn't matter even if you're FWD or AWD. I suspect it wouldn't fit on the front of a GS with Brembo brakes, in which case you take a good tire off the back, put it on the front, and put the spare on the back (yeah, a bit more work, but this would be a very rare circumstance to begin with).

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
If I was that concerned I would go with runflats.
GM put on ATS and I put Drivegards on GP...they do not soak up bumps like the oversized G Max tires do on TourX.

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
If I was that concerned I would go with runflats.
GM put on ATS and I put Drivegards on GP...they do not soak up bumps like the oversized G Max tires do on TourX.
Spend some time on the ATS and Corvette forums ... [i[]everyone[/i] hates runflats (myself included). Virtually everyone would choose to bring a spare on a long trip rather than suffer the daily annoyance of living with runflats.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Spend some time on the ATS and Corvette forums ... [i[]everyone[/i] hates runflats (myself included). Virtually everyone would choose to bring a spare on a long trip rather than suffer the daily annoyance of living with runflats.
I agree they suck.. I assume Buick will pay for picking up what is left of me ...after flat tire seal tire won't fix, for 4 years...
Bridgestone Drivegards were alot better then Michelins on ATS.
I have ran out of gas Wayyyy more then had flat on road.
GM brought me gallon of gas few times.

Last edited:

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I just picked up a spare tire ($50 CAD) and jack & wrench ($25 CAD) from a 2006 DTS. It was a tight fit in the spare wheel well trying to clear the plastic panel at the rear (maybe the GS doesn't have as much room as the TourX?), but with some pushing it went in. There's not really any space for the jack and wrench if you put the subwoofer back in, so I wrapped them in old T-shirts and laid them beside the spare. There was also room to lay the OEM pump beside the spare too, and the floor still laid down flat.

I test fit the spare on the rear and it fit no problem. But as expected it's not even close to clearing the Brembos on the front, so as noted above, if I get a flat on the front I'll have to switch on a good tire from the rear.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I just picked up a spare tire ($50 CAD) and jack & wrench ($25 CAD) from a 2006 DTS. It was a tight fit in the spare wheel well trying to clear the plastic panel at the rear (maybe the GS doesn't have as much room as the TourX?), but with some pushing it went in. There's not really any space for the jack and wrench if you put the subwoofer back in, so I wrapped them in old T-shirts and laid them beside the spare. There was also room to lay the OEM pump beside the spare too, and the floor still laid down flat.

I test fit the spare on the rear and it fit no problem. But as expected it's not even close to clearing the Brembos on the front, so as noted above, if I get a flat on the front I'll have to switch on a good tire from the rear.
Tour-X don't have. Brembo.

Tour-X does not need Brembo as it is a Station Wagon, vice a race car.

Friend of mine who is a Certified (Brand X) Master Tech, advised me not to get the Brembos because of the cost involved in doing a Brake Job.

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Friend of mine who is a Certified (Brand X) Master Tech, advised me not to get the Brembos because of the cost involved in doing a Brake Job.
Not really accurate advice. There's third party parts available for Brembo brakes just like any other system. Check out rockauto.com. I did the front Brembos on my ATS and they weren't significantly more expensive than any other brakes I've done.

stevie123

Buick Ownership
Buick
After driving almost 30 years (20K+ miles average per year) with only 1 flat, I was hit with 2 near flats in the last 2 months(thanks to the tire pressure monitor and alarm in the TourX!). I am now shopping for a spare. Thanks to the work of the members here, I know a 2006-2011 DTS and probably 2006-2011 Lasabre spare will work. However, these are fairly old cars. I'm worried about tire rot and rusty steel rims. How can I find a more recent 17" spare tire? Based on a quick search, 2006-2013 Impala and Lacrosse all have the same bolt pattern (5x115). Will these spares (assuming they are 17") work?

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I'm worried about tire rot and rusty steel rims.
Since the spares usually live an easy life out of the elements in a dark well (no UV to age the rubber, no water/salt to rust the rims), I personally wouldn't worry about it. The spare I got was likely 12+ years old and looks factory fresh, including all the rubber flashing from the moulds indicating it was never used.

Pedal Commander