Spare tire subwoofer?

Tom Beighey

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have a 2017 Encore with a standard Speaker system and I'm looking for a little more bass. I was wondering if I replace the standard amp with the upgraded amp that is in the upgraded Bose 7 speaker will turn my spare tire subwoofer on?

joelb

Buick Newbie
Val-d'Or, Qc, Canada
Buick Ownership
Encore
OK... As I can see, I'm not the only one who is looking to make this subwoofer working.

I looked at that today and I was surprised that speaker is installed, wired, but not working!

Tom Beighey

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
OK... As I can see, I'm not the only one who is looking to make this subwoofer working.

I looked at that today and I was surprised that speaker is installed, wired, but not working!
From what I have found and heard the the sub is only for noise canceling in the standard setup and in the bose upgraded system it works. The thing I have found is the Amp, Front and back door speakers are different in the bose upgrade, the pillar tweeters and the sub is all the same as the Bose upgrade system.

What I don't know if I add the upgrade amp that it will work, the intellilink may or may not need a software upgrade to make it work.

joelb

Buick Newbie
Val-d'Or, Qc, Canada
Buick Ownership
Encore
From what I have found and heard the the sub is only for noise canceling in the standard setup and in the bose upgraded system it works. The thing I have found is the Amp, Front and back door speakers are different in the bose upgrade, the pillar tweeters and the sub is all the same as the Bose upgrade system.

What I don't know if I add the upgrade amp that it will work, the intellilink may or may not need a software upgrade to make it work.
OK, thanks for the information... that visibily our dealer does not know!
They will check why there is no sound from it!

GoMich

Buick Ownership
Buick
Spare tire sub is not a true sub for sound. Even if Premium setup with Bose uses it, it is a joke in itself. You have 6" or 4 " driver in it I forgot which one. There no 6" subs for sound because it can not reproduce low frequencies with 6" driver. Its sound output optimized to match exhaust noise tone for noise cancelling, not to produce low sound waves from radio. If you want real sub noise, there must be 10 or 12" driver installed. There are plenty of threads on that issue for Encore as well.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
Why is that ridiculous? It works. It does what it is designed to do, noise cancellation. Moreover they call it a subwoofer but it's not a true subwoofer, as said above. My HRR has the Pioneer system with the 6" subwoofer. It's effect is minimal. Most of the bass comes from the front speakers.

nick & jacci

Buick Ownership
2016 encore [ROLLER SKATE ON EIGHTEENS] 1972 GS STAGE 1
ok have a 2016 WITH OUT the bose system and it has the subwoofer spare for noise cancellation and it is same sub with small woofer that is used in bose system[ went and took a bose system woofer apart same shit, same GM part #]my question is if i went to bone yard or dealer could i get the bose amp and all door speakers and plug and play or will all the computer bullshit not want to get along together ??????????

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
ok have a 2016 WITH OUT the bose system and it has the subwoofer spare for noise cancellation and it is same sub with small woofer that is used in bose system[ went and took a bose system woofer apart same shit, same GM part #]my question is if i went to bone yard or dealer could i get the bose amp and all door speakers and plug and play or will all the computer bullshit not want to get along together ??????????

It kind of sounds like you don't care for any of the Bose/GM components. You'd be far better off contacting Crutchfield for add-on components like an amp and replacement speakers to achieve what you want. Just replacing door speakers with aftermarket ones will be a great improvement in sound quality.

nick & jacci

Buick Ownership
2016 encore [ROLLER SKATE ON EIGHTEENS] 1972 GS STAGE 1
It kind of sounds like you don't care for any of the Bose/GM components. You'd be far better off contacting Crutchfield for add-on components like an amp and replacement speakers to achieve what you want. Just replacing door speakers with aftermarket ones will be a great improvement in sound quality.
that is not what i was saying bose is just fine not wanting a competition system the factory non bose system well sounds like crap what im asking is if i purchase the bose amp,and speakers from GM or get from bone yard will they all work as one big happy family meaning all computers thanks

G-120304

that is not what i was saying bose is just fine not wanting a competition system the factory non bose system well sounds like crap what im asking is if i purchase the bose amp,and speakers from GM or get from bone yard will they all work as one big happy family meaning all computers thanks
As I suggested, you are better off calling Crutchfield and adding correct componants They have outstanding customer service and have been doing this stuff for well over 40 years. And they have lifetime support on what you buy. No boneyard is going to do that.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership

And I'll just re-iterate. Generally the non-Bose system will be fine with the right speakers alone. Add an amp and you'll be good. Save yourself the hassles and unknowns of trying to Frankenstein a factory Bose system. Call Crutchfield. For probably the same money and far less hassle they can set you up. They have lifetime tech support, provide all documentation of how to take panels apart and mount things, and generally have free shipping.

EDIT: OK, this is really weird. My apologies for what looks like a redundant post. Last night I tried replying on my phone. It didn't appear to post. This morning it shows it posted from "G-120304". What's up with that?

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.