• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Spare tire...

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Humboldt County, CA; or Germany
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
I didn't want to further hi-jack Badger's thread about his new car...

I looked up whether a spare tire would fit in the TourX, and found this:

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/ersatzrad-insignia-sports-tourer-nachruesten-t2914048.html

Basically, Opel sells a donut in Germany, and it fits. A full-size spare won't fit without raising the floor significantly. There's a 16" spare for the cars with 16-17" rims, and a 17" spare for cars with 18-20" rims.

So, I'm guessing that a 17" donut with the proper bolt pattern would fit/work our cars, both in the floor of the trunk, and on the wheel.

wi_badger

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick
Do any of the platform sharing cars have a compact spare option that would work? Does the Malibu have an 18-inch wheel option that comes with a compact spare? The LaCrosse?

Normally I would be happy to find one close but with the all-wheel drive I feel like it needs to be a very close diameter to avoid damage from differences in the rotation. Maybe I can find a steel wheel and a used tire and call it good. But it would be nice to have a compact that fits under the cover.

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Humboldt County, CA; or Germany
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
I wanted full-size spares for my Subarus, because of the AWD, and I live in the middle of nowhere...

For the Impreza, it was easy to keep one of the "off-season" tires in the spare tire well.

The Outback is a headache, because Subaru sized the spare tire well for the Legacy, and an Outback tire wouldn't fit in it. (Damn you, Subaru!)

I settled for the largest normal tire that would fit...

So, you might see if one of the OEM 18ers fits in the spare tire well. If it does, then it shouldn't be hard to find a narrower tire that's the same diameter.

Pedal Commander