• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Special Coverage warranty on Encore

OldWhiteChevy

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this Special Coverage that affects the 1.4 litre turbo engine, including Encore, which is supposedly something that came into being very recently. It is supposed to be for 120,000 miles/10 years. It supposedly covers the PCV diaphragm that has been troublesome on this engine. This might be nothing more than a rumor; I became aware of it while researching the problem I'm having with the Cruze that I'm planning to trade for an year-end '19 Encore. I've looked in my MyGM.com account and there's no mention of it (yet):

PIP5197E Oil consumption and trouble codes
Service bulletin #PIP5197E Oil consumption and trouble codes
#PIP5197E bulletin to fix oil leaks, oil consumption and trouble codes

GM has issued service bulletin #PIP5197E to address oil consumption, oil leaks, blue smoke from exhaust and multiple trouble codes on the vehicles listed below.

Vehicles affected by #PIP5197E
2013-2016 Buick Encore, VIN SOP to END, Engine LUJ and LUV, All transmissions

2011-2016 Chevrolet Cruze, VIN SOP to END, Engine LUJ and LUV All transmissions

2012-2016 Chevrolet Sonic VIN SOP to END, Engine LUJ and LUV All transmissions

2013-2016 Chevrolet Trax VIN SOP to END, Engine LUJ and LUV All transmissions

Oil consumption symptoms
The service bulletin addresses multiple symptoms including excessive oil consumption, blue smoke from the exhaust, trouble code and check engine light warning. GM defines excessive oil consumption, not due to leaks, of 1 quart or more oil within 3 200 kilometers (2,000 miles).

You may find any or all of these trouble codes stored: P0106, P0171, P0299, P0507, P1101, P2096.

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
I haven't heard anything about the 120,000/10 year coverage, but it would be nice to have. It would be a little late for many Encore owners, but better late than never, as they say. Do you have a link to where you heard about it?

OldWhiteChevy

I haven't heard anything about the 120,000/10 year coverage, but it would be nice to have. It would be a little late for many Encore owners, but better late than never, as they say. Do you have a link to where you heard about it?
Unfortunately, no. I read about in the cruzetalk.com forum in response to my post about my Cruze. According to the person who responded, it’s something very recent that some Cruze owners have received from GM in response to their complaints — like within the past week. If I learn anything new I’ll post it here.

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
Unfortunately, no. I read about in the cruzetalk.com forum in response to my post about my Cruze. According to the person who responded, it’s something very recent that some Cruze owners have received from GM in response to their complaints — like within the past week. If I learn anything new I’ll post it here.
OK---thanks. I've done some reading on the Cruze forum and maybe can find it with the search tool. If the extended warranty coverage is true, it will be welcome and big news for Cruze owners there.

OldWhiteChevy

OK---thanks. I've done some reading on the Cruze forum and maybe can find it with the search tool. If the extended warranty coverage is true, it will be welcome and big news for Cruze owners there.
I didn’t think— duh! — that I could have linked to the thread that I had posted on that forum. You’ll have to do some scrolling to see the part where this is mentioned, about 1/2 way or so.

Dilemma: Your Check Engine Light goes on just before you're getting ready to trade. What to do?

Joester

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
That's because it has not been made into an extended warranty item....yet. May be in process, but so far no.