• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Sportback Appreciation

Discod

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback Preferred
I know we mainly post about little quirks or problems here, but I have to say that I’m so happy I got my Sportback. I researched for a full year before buying her, and was set on a Camry before I read their bad reviews of the 2019 model. Now that I’m teleworking, I miss driving. When I do get out, I probably drive a little too fast, because the handling on the Sportback is amazing.
I‘m also glad I got it before the dummies at Buick stopped building cars. It’s so nice to have a vehicle that is attractive and different. You don’t see 20 others on your way into town. The Sportback feature is so handy, too.
Are any of you still happy with your purchase? I know we were all excited when they were new, but I thought I’d check back a year and a half later.

fng

Delaware Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
I've had my Sportback for over two years and I'm quite happy with it. There are a few irritating things about it (no way to pop the hatch from the driver's seat; key fob honks horn too easily when in my pocket; etc.) but I knew about them and am generally quite pleased with the car.

Chockomon

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback AWD
I've had my Sportback for over two years and I'm quite happy with it. There are a few irritating things about it (no way to pop the hatch from the driver's seat; key fob honks horn too easily when in my pocket; etc.) but I knew about them and am generally quite pleased with the car.

I love my sportback - those two issues were fixed by buying a Lacrosse key (search for my thread). The Lacrosse key looks like the TourX key which gives you the ability to pop the hatch from the fob and makes the panic button smaller so no more honking when the fob is in your pocket

RedX

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Regal TourX
If i could easily go from my TourX to a GS, I would. Im really enjoying the Buick.

FishOhio

Central Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal Tourx Essence White Frost Tricoat
I know we mainly post about little quirks or problems here, but I have to say that I’m so happy I got my Sportback. I researched for a full year before buying her, and was set on a Camry before I read their bad reviews of the 2019 model. Now that I’m teleworking, I miss driving. When I do get out, I probably drive a little too fast, because the handling on the Sportback is amazing.
I‘m also glad I got it before the dummies at Buick stopped building cars. It’s so nice to have a vehicle that is attractive and different. You don’t see 20 others on your way into town. The Sportback feature is so handy, too.
Are any of you still happy with your purchase? I know we were all excited when they were new, but I thought I’d check back a year and a half later.

I miss driving my Tourx due to teleworking. I recently took it on a 250 mile daytrip and it was a fun mix of highway and country roads. The speed, ride quality, Carplay - it was a lot of fun.

So far in 18 months of ownership I've only visited the dealer twice: 1st oil change, software update, and lower control arm warranty fix, and then a 2nd oil change and tire rotation - all for zero out of pocket cost. The gas mileage and technology is super compared to the vehicle it replaced (2012 Caddy SRX FWD).

galdrago

Sustaining Member
Stephenson, VA
Buick Ownership
2020 Regal Sportback (Essence)
My first car was a Plymouth; the succeeding five cars were/are General Motors. I purchased my 2020 Sportback this past September since it was the last opportunity to get a brand new Buick sedan. I really wanted a new GS but none were available within reasonable distance then. Because of the shutdowns, I have only driven it about 400 miles, so I don't yet have much ownership history. So far I have been happy with mine. My previous GMs were Oldmobile, Chevrolet, and two Pontiacs, so I wanted a Buick this time. Next time, it may have to be a non-GM to get a sedan!

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
I absolutely love my GS! So nice to drive and so many features to enjoy. I find the hatch makes the vehicle so practical. Load it with golf clubs or groceries, fire up the V6, press the GS button and it’s off to the races. And thanks to my wonderful little module under the hood, it keeps running at stop lights!!!

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
This forum feels very pro TourX by default. I don't really get it, since Sportback to me is a much better choice for fuel economy, lower price, less weight, less maintenance and arguably better looks. I absolutely love mine, although it does have a few drawbacks: easily scratched paint, somewhat cheap interior plastic and a picky engine that likes OEM ACDelco 5W-30 oil. If I was buying a car right now, I would get a Sportback again. But I would upgrade to 2018.5+ Android infotainment and possibly get Essence trim. Bose audio and LED headlights are strongly recommended.

Discod

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback Preferred
I totally agree that I see way more TourX posts here, but I love the Sportback. I’m glad I’m not alone! Many of us had issues to iron out with the dealerships at first, but even considering that, it was a real bargain.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I couldn't happier with my '19 GS. It was my first brand new car purchase. Before my GS, I owned a '98 Mazda sedan and still have my '99 Accord coupe as a winter beater. You may think my adoration for the Sportback is a result of the technology advancements over that 20 year span. I don't think it is.

Even though it is nicer than anything I have ever owned previously, I drove a variant of almost every new car GM offered leading up to my purchase.
That includes the ATS, CTS, Camaro, Malibu, Impala, and LaCrosse. Nothing truly spoke to me. Then I hopped in a Regal.

Every now and then, I think back to that first time I sat in one at the Detroit Auto Show. Fast forward to today and I still grin every time I get in mine. Punching that start button is not just the beginning of a chemical reaction within the engine, it sparks the release of dopamine and adrenaline within me too. Just a honeymoon phase? Nah.

P.S.
Having a 2.0T Sportback in the family has allowed me to drive both my GS and the Sportback back to back on occasion. They do have very different personalities and road manners. It's easy to look at them and think they are the same. They are not, but I love driving them equally for different reasons. Now to convince another family member to buy a TourX and complete the... Trifecta ;)

stasek

Buick Ownership
‘18 TourX Red Needle
This forum feels very pro TourX by default. I don't really get it, since Sportback to me is a much better choice for fuel economy, lower price, less weight, less maintenance and arguably better looks. I absolutely love mine, although it does have a few drawbacks: easily scratched paint, somewhat cheap interior plastic and a picky engine that likes OEM ACDelco 5W-30 oil. If I was buying a car right now, I would get a Sportback again. But I would upgrade to 2018.5+ Android infotainment and possibly get Essence trim. Bose audio and LED headlights are strongly recommended.
All valid points, but.... can the Sportback do this??? 😂😂😂. I kid, I kid... If I was able to keep my old Tundra, I probably would have looked hard for the GS, however it wasn’t meant to be. Tundra had to go and needed something where I could occasionally haul “stuff”.

Attachments

• 3970BEF3-518C-4A76-9C5A-2988FFDCED92.jpeg
    3970BEF3-518C-4A76-9C5A-2988FFDCED92.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 22

TricoatGS

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS
Love my GS, only real gripe I have pertaining to the hatchback design is its not power lifting and closing, which the base Kia Stinger GT has at $5k less MSRP then mine, I know its not a big deal but would've been nice, im pretty sure the tourx has it so it wouldn't be that different.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Love my GS, only real gripe I have pertaining to the hatchback design is its not power lifting and closing, which the base Kia Stinger GT has at $5k less MSRP then mine, I know its not a big deal but would've been nice, im pretty sure the tourx has it so it wouldn't be that different.
There's a lot of corners cut compared to the Kia. To me, it basically speaks "GM doesn't care" from top to bottom.

Being a supposedly sport sedan, the GS lacks:
Proper power - the GS has plenty of power but it gets absolutely destroyed by anything faster than a Golf GTI on the track. The story will be miles different if it had 400hp instead of 310.
Paddle shifters - my biggest issue with this is that even LaCrosse has them. Paddles are nonsense on the streets but they are essential for this 9-spd transmission which simply doesn't know what to do on the track.
All wheel fixed caliper - This is standard for the Stinger GT and is a selling point for this class of car and brand.
Performance tires as stock - Stinger GT has Michelin PSS

For its price, it also lacks power tailgate or heated rear seats. It has a downright outdated wireless charger even for 2018, and a digital DIC with very limited customizability. All of these are GM's fault because they are not state-of-the-art functions, but rather simple ones that are present in other Buicks/GMs and had no reason to be excluded from the Regal. On top of everything, the discontinuation in 2020 makes me regret of buying a Buick.

On the other hand I think the GS is one of the best looking sedans/hatchbacks out there, despite some reviewers saying it's "bland". It also has, IMO, a sleek interior design with the only issue being the color choice.

TricoatGS

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS
There's a lot of corners cut compared to the Kia. To me, it basically speaks "GM doesn't care" from top to bottom.

Being a supposedly sport sedan, the GS lacks:
Proper power - the GS has plenty of power but it gets absolutely destroyed by anything faster than a Golf GTI on the track. The story will be miles different if it had 400hp instead of 310.
Paddle shifters - my biggest issue with this is that even LaCrosse has them. Paddles are nonsense on the streets but they are essential for this 9-spd transmission which simply doesn't know what to do on the track.
All wheel fixed caliper - This is standard for the Stinger GT and is a selling point for this class of car and brand.
Performance tires as stock - Stinger GT has Michelin PSS

For its price, it also lacks power tailgate or heated rear seats. It has a downright outdated wireless charger even for 2018, and a digital DIC with very limited customizability. All of these are GM's fault because they are not state-of-the-art functions, but rather simple ones that are present in other Buicks/GMs and had no reason to be excluded from the Regal. On top of everything, the discontinuation in 2020 makes me regret of buying a Buick.

On the other hand I think the GS is one of the best looking sedans/hatchbacks out there, despite some reviewers saying it's "bland". It also has, IMO, a sleek interior design with the only issue being the color choice.
I mean i don't think the Regal is a sport sedan, but the GS is definitely the sport tuned version, I think the power is enough, I don't take it to the track, a good stop light race is good enough for me, and you'd be surprised at what I've taken in it, I raced a Grand Cherokee SRT up a hill once and you'd think it would blow by me but it took effort from the Jeep. It Definitely should have paddles, you are correct because on the street i rarely have to shift it myself, the transmission programming is great in mine but it is a sporty model, so it should have paddles, crossovers have paddles why shouldn't this? Yeah I feel the handling would be much improved with factory performance tires, at least as a option.

I use to be able to use the wireless charger but since I upgraded to the S10 plus its too big and doesn't fit so I agree there, but the DIC i like, its much better then the lesser GM products, I like how it's bigger then the analog speedos and tachs, usually in GM products its the other way around. The reason why its not top notch is because it's a buick, they have 3 other brands and its a sedan, ive talked to alot of people and when they see the GS on the front they know its a sleeper, so its a shame its gone, if you want sporty like me, its either the Refreshed Stinger Gt for me, or the Caddy CT4-V. I do love the GS, no car is perfect but the parts issues later scare me.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I mean i don't think the Regal is a sport sedan, but the GS is definitely the sport tuned version, I think the power is enough, I don't take it to the track, a good stop light race is good enough for me, and you'd be surprised at what I've taken in it, I raced a Grand Cherokee SRT up a hill once and you'd think it would blow by me but it took effort from the Jeep. It Definitely should have paddles, you are correct because on the street i rarely have to shift it myself, the transmission programming is great in mine but it is a sporty model, so it should have paddles, crossovers have paddles why shouldn't this? Yeah I feel the handling would be much improved with factory performance tires, at least as a option.

I use to be able to use the wireless charger but since I upgraded to the S10 plus its too big and doesn't fit so I agree there, but the DIC i like, its much better then the lesser GM products, I like how it's bigger then the analog speedos and tachs, usually in GM products its the other way around. The reason why its not top notch is because it's a buick, they have 3 other brands and its a sedan, ive talked to alot of people and when they see the GS on the front they know its a sleeper, so its a shame its gone, if you want sporty like me, its either the Refreshed Stinger Gt for me, or the Caddy CT4-V. I do love the GS, no car is perfect but the parts issues later scare me.
All your points are fair, I think in summary the GS (also any other Regal) is a very good car on streets for daily use, and it has better value than base Audis or BMWs. But on the other hand when it's needed it lacks just a bit in every aspect to be a top performer - it's not "best" in any way, be it power, handling, comfort, features, value, or equipment.
This is exactly why it's overlooked by a lot of potential buyers, it doesn't have that key feature or buzzword for marketing, and as a result nobody knows that it existed. In the 2019 Toronto auto show, people were climbing in and out around two Stinger GTs in the KIA booth, while almost no one is around the Buick booth. Is KIA a better brand than Buick? Most would disagree, but it seems it's getting there quick.
Looking at Stinger, it has power that is basically unrivaled until you go like $20k up in the same class, it has almost no optional extras as everything is included, factory Michelin and Brembos, good exhaust notes and actually hollow vents. Do they matter? possibly not all the time at least not on the road, but they sell the car and can win it a best large car of the year title (in Canada), and people will overlook its problems more. In an age which SUV rules, this is what a sedan needs to attract.

1500cc

Ontario
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I think the only reason the Stinger gets *any* attention is because of the turbo V6. If it had a plain V6 and turbo 4 like the Regal, few would take notice of it. It's too bad GM didn't put something like the turbo 3.0 V6 in the Regal, I'll bet it would have made a world of difference in terms of the attention (and sales) the Regal would have gotten.

TricoatGS

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS
All your points are fair, I think in summary the GS (also any other Regal) is a very good car on streets for daily use, and it has better value than base Audis or BMWs. But on the other hand when it's needed it lacks just a bit in every aspect to be a top performer - it's not "best" in any way, be it power, handling, comfort, features, value, or equipment.
This is exactly why it's overlooked by a lot of potential buyers, it doesn't have that key feature or buzzword for marketing, and as a result nobody knows that it existed. In the 2019 Toronto auto show, people were climbing in and out around two Stinger GTs in the KIA booth, while almost no one is around the Buick booth. Is KIA a better brand than Buick? Most would disagree, but it seems it's getting there quick.
Looking at Stinger, it has power that is basically unrivaled until you go like $20k up in the same class, it has almost no optional extras as everything is included, factory Michelin and Brembos, good exhaust notes and actually hollow vents. Do they matter? possibly not all the time at least not on the road, but they sell the car and can win it a best large car of the year title (in Canada), and people will overlook its problems more. In an age which SUV rules, this is what a sedan needs to attract.
Well why would it be the best? When GM has cadillac and for $15k more you can get CT5-V with a ton more power and luxury, point being buick isn't GMs baby, and a more prevalent point being GM/buick did not advertise the GS, even the Regal at all, they always do this, example being the SS sedan, and wonder why they don't sell, i guess they were content with it being a "mediocre" car, look what happens when brands actually try, the Stinger was developed to push the brand upmarket, so people come to the showrooms, look at all the awards it won, when GM tries we get products like the C8 corvette, the New Escalade, world class products. The Regals they were content with selling a couple thousand a year for a few years so not putting in much effort and doing promoting. You bring up a good point, Sedans now need to set themselves apart, for the $50k i paid i dont think I got ripped off, but you sit in a fully loaded stinger and you feel like it's definitely should be more, a Alcantara headliner in a $50k car? Come on. So its a shame it didn't get the same attention.
I think the only reason the Stinger gets *any* attention is because of the turbo V6. If it had a plain V6 and turbo 4 like the Regal, few would take notice of it. It's too bad GM didn't put something like the turbo 3.0 V6 in the Regal, I'll bet it would have made a world of difference in terms of the attention (and sales) the Regal would have gotten.
I agree in some points, a better engine would've been nice, but I think it'd require a different chassis as right now it's transverse, if you want the bigger engines, like the 3.0l Turbo it would have to be RWD based longitudinal, unless they made one specially for FWD purposes. But that wouldn't of even improved sales much either because they didn't do barley any promoting of the car, when did you ever see a add? People can't buy it if they don't know about it. When I ordered my GS the salesman didn't even know they were coming out.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I'm not gonna quote the whole thing as it's long, but @TricoatGS it is totally fine if a car doesn't shine in any particular aspect, and that's exactly what makes it mediocore and become forgotten over time. I believe the Buick Regal deserved better, the model was once among the fastest car around, and it shined back then. It no longer does now, and is forgotten by GM themselves. I've been in dealers where even the salesperson doesn't know what this car has. For the same price, would you prefer a car which the brand had put everything into, or a car that the brand just pushes out simply because they had it designed elsewhere anyway?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!