• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Sportback Appreciation

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Thesearch for 20 inch wheels may be for nothing. I checked a site and the 20 inch wheel's bolt pattern is 120 not 115 which is on the North American cars.
Yeah you're right! Never noticed... I wonder if the hubs could be swapped over to 5x120. Probably not worth the effort and cost but it would open up a lot of aftermarket when options too.

jeffcam1211

Buick Ownership
20 Regal GS, 12 Regal GS (past)
+1 for sportback appreciation

I've had my GS for nearly 2 months now and I am very, very happy with it. I wish it had a bit more low end power as it feels kinda weak in certain situations. To be fair though, my last car was an ATS-v so most sub 400hp cars are going to be a bit of a letdown performance-wise.

Other than that, it's a very well round vehicle overall for the money.

Last edited:

Pacer69

KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
TLDR: I agree, Sportback is totally cool and underappreciated within and without GM. Yeah, GM was stupid by not including some no-brainer options. This post is more about Kias and my thoughts on their reliability, though, LOL. Cars guys gotta talk cars! Please let me know if you think I'm nuts, I love talking about cars whether we agree or not. ; )

Just adding to the discussion - although I drive a TourX and didn't consider the Sportback when I replaced my '07 Acura RDX Tech (or anything really besides the V60/90 which sadly are still vaporware and even more rare than Regals/TourXs as far as I'm concerned - I've seen like 2 of these Volvos in the past two years actually on the road), I'm also a big fan of the Sportback. I think it's a gorgeous car, pretty rare and unique, yes. Which is also how I feel about my TourX. I haven't driven the SB but every review tells me it pretty much rocks, especially the GS. I will say that I have to think the base or let's say non-GS Regal probably has good power...my TourX Essence is like a friggin' freight train when I step on it. I am amazed at how quickly it can feel like rocket speed.

I empathize with the quibbles brought up here...I wasn't aware that the Sportback liftback glass was not push-button close like on the TourX. Yeah, they totally should've made it automagic on higher-trim models. Damn bean-counters.

I have some grievances with my TourX as well, as in why did GM cheap out on ABC and XYZ (would've gladly paid more for Avenir or GS package a la Regal, better dash/leather materials, etc)...the argument is made that these are such niche vehicles that this is impractical. I wonder if Sportback Essence has the same low-grade leather we TourX Essence [and highly optioned] drivers have? I'd have to guess yeah. It is durable, I will give them that. But IMO, "impractical" is making great vehicles but not marketing them...which is exactly what happened with the Regal line, and most other domestic sedans. There could be a sustainable, profitable niche for the Big 3 with sedans, but whatevs. I've read they make more money on tall boxes and that's how they do their thang.

I think the Stinger is also very no extremely good looking vs. its peers, and sounds like a great performer in the GT package although pricey! I agree that some could experience it as a bit cramped on the inside, but I feel this is something that can be gotten used to/negated over time. I like how everything is at the driver's fingertips.

However, I'm not yet sold on Kia unreliability [and headache issues] being in the past. Yes there is the 100k wty, cool, but it doesn't transfer (is that still correct?) and I've read several bad reports on the warranty service itself being less than reliable at solving issues. To be fair, I dealt with about 6 months of problems with the TourX infotainment system, so touché, but knock on wood, mine seems to be working fine since the latest update. I don't have reverse camera lines, but I've never had them that I can recall, so have to say I don't really miss them.

Also TBF, I did have a leak in the spare tire area that was solved with a few dealer visits. Nearly two years and 21k miles into ownership, I remain happy to drive my TourX. Yes, I have concerns: if it ever gets wrecked, will parts be available? Calculated risk with captive imports.

But we're car guys n gals, so let's talk cars. I read an article I think last summer saying Palisade interiors were emitting an unpleasant garlic smell (anyone else see this?) that could not be accounted for. I hope they have that worked out now, I'm guessing it is some natural material getting heated in the summer sun and making the smell. It would sure suck to lay down 40k on a nice SUV and have it smell like a carryout restaurant.

Plus there are the many pano roof sudden breakage issues, and the brakes catching on fire very recently here in Kia and/or Hyundai models. To me, these are pretty serious mechanical and parts quality problems ...a lot more so than infotainment misfires. Yeah they're being covered under recall, so that is great. But still...fire?

I know all manufacturers have quality issues, but with pricing for Kias largely at parity with other brands, I am skeptical their quality warrants that pricing. I think they're better off underpromising and overdelivering. Make them great, undercut on pricing, and ramp up quality so you can charge a fair price for performance.

I'm not a hater, as I say I'm a big fan of the Stinger and I like the styling of some of their other vehicles (esp their wagons, not available here though, too bad)...I do wish they'd give the Sonata a beautiful design, various iterations often look patently overdesigned to me, no matter what the era. It obviously looks good enough to all those who buy it at any given moment, but what about 5-10 years from now? Or what about...now? Look at Regal, and Mazda 6. Beautiful, unique designs. Why can't Sonata be like that instead of an origami exercise?

A lot of their vehicles are like this; I'll give the froggy '03ish Santa Fe as another example. Look at '03 crossovers from other makers (Escape, CR-V, XL-7) and they look dated yes, but not just plain weird like that Santa Fe.

That said, I am a bit heartened after searching for some Stinger owner reports earlier today and finding what seem to be a lot of satisfied owners. I hope Kia/Hyundai can extend that reliability across their entire line. Not saying I'm right (actually I hope I'm dead wrong), I just still have reservations about their overall long-term quality.

I feel the same about Audi/VW and BMW. Absolutely beautiful cars with solid performance, but I drive my vehicles for 8-12 years or more and need to know I won't feel like I'm constantly emptying my bank account just to keep them running.

This TourX is my first new GM purchase ever, I've been basically driving Honda/Acura/Mitsu the past 35 years (but for a few years when I had a '76 Buick Estate Wagon for a book tour), and those have been largely great vehicles. Knock on wood, I hope this GM purchase continues to be a wise one for us all!

zavic

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal Sportback
I've had my Sportback for over two years and I'm quite happy with it. There are a few irritating things about it (no way to pop the hatch from the driver's seat; key fob honks horn too easily when in my pocket; etc.) but I knew about them and am generally quite pleased with the car.
I like here too..very much!
They same things disturb me a little too :)
and there are no other buick cars in my city, so you appear remarkable on the street and not able to mix up your car with others

300T

Buick Ownership
Insignia Sports Tourer 260 4x4
Thesearch for 20 inch wheels may be for nothing. I checked a site and the 20 inch wheel's bolt pattern is 120 not 115 which is on the North American cars.

European Insignia's (Regal) are available with the 20" alloys in two bolt patterns:

GSI = 120

Non-GSI = 115

GM made some changes after a year or so of production and the GSI also became 115 like the rest of the range whilst still maintaining a different design.

The 20s are available here as either a factory option, standard fit along with adaptive dampers on all 4x4 models like my own or available as an accessory.

These are what were fitted as standard to my car from the factory:

They are quite a soft alloy according to the guy who repaired two of my own, so potholes are definitely to be avoided with these.

Hope that helps.

Pacer69

KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
How’d this turn into a Stinger thread? 🤣
Sorry for my part in that, didn't meant to threadjack! :p:ROFLMAO: Back to Sportback: I just learned that you guys got the fully functional HUD! That is AWESOME! That is one thing I was hugely disappointed to find that GM cheaped out on in the TourX - all we get is the collision warning. Enjoy your HUD!

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Sorry for my part in that, didn't meant to threadjack! :p:ROFLMAO: Back to Sportback: I just learned that you guys got the fully functional HUD! That is AWESOME! That is one thing I was hugely disappointed to find that GM cheaped out on in the TourX - all we get is the collision warning. Enjoy your HUD!
And our friends in Australia gets the HUD with their regular wagon... 😓

TricoatGS

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS
How’d this turn into a Stinger thread? 🤣
Because its pretty much the closest competition, and owning my GS for over 2 years now has made me see the pros and cons in terms of the interior and such over the Stinger, and its right in same the ballpark in terms of price up here.

BradyB0225

Buick Ownership
1992 Riviera
My Regal Sportback is just perfect with just about the cheapest & lightest trim level, "Preferred". Fastest at my altitude with the 2.0L and FWD.
As far as I can tell, the only option is the sights and sounds package with a larger screen with Bose stereo and navigation. I love my cloth seats (heating and cooling not required). She was the last one for sale in my area and I only paid about $21,700 with all year-end incentives. She'll do 0-60 in the low 5-second range with Trifecta's help while still being old man comfortable.
As for the Kia Stinger, I could never be happy with owning a vehicle that pipes that much fake-engine noise through the speakers. My friend briefly owned a 2019 and I think I ruined the car for him by pointing out how fake the artificial engine noise is in that car. The car is a v6 twin-turbo which sounded like a video game version of a V8 through the speakers. The AWD GT is definitely fast but not all that comfortable or fun to drive. It also has way too many fake vents and grills that already are looking long-in-tooth. The GS will continue to look good for a long time into the future. IMO

Last edited:

chambe

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
European Insignia's (Regal) are available with the 20" alloys in two bolt patterns:

GSI = 120

Non-GSI = 115

GM made some changes after a year or so of production and the GSI also became 115 like the rest of the range whilst still maintaining a different design.

The 20s are available here as either a factory option, standard fit along with adaptive dampers on all 4x4 models like my own or available as an accessory.

These are what were fitted as standard to my car from the factory:

They are quite a soft alloy according to the guy who repaired two of my own, so potholes are definitely to be avoided with these.

Hope that helps.
Do you know the product number for the 20 inch with the 115 bolt pattern?

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
2019 Holden ZB Commodore RSV Liftback 3.6 AWD
And our friends in Australia gets the HUD with their regular wagon... 😓
Well actually the HUD is not available on any of the 2.0 L turbo models over here (well New Zealand anyway). It's only available on the V6 versions of which there is one V6 Sportwagon version. There were 3 Sportwagon variants.

From reading various posts on here I think we got a better range of models. We got 2.0 L and V6 3.6 Wagons and Liftbacks. We got the option of the sports body kits on both engine options and both body styles. Depending on model there was 18" 19" and 20" wheel options. We also got the steering wheel paddles on all the V6 models.

One option we didn't get was a AWD 2.0 L.

Last edited:

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
My Regal Sportback is just perfect with just about the cheapest & lightest trim level, "Preferred". Fastest at my altitude with the 2.0L and FWD.
As far as I can tell, the only option is the sights and sounds package with a larger screen with Bose stereo and navigation. I love my cloth seats (heating and cooling not required). She was the last one for sale in my area and I only paid about $21,700 with all year-end incentives. She'll do 0-60 in the low 5-second range with Trifecta's help while still being old man comfortable.
As for the Kia Stinger, I could never be happy with owning a vehicle that pipes that much fake-engine noise through the speakers. My friend briefly owned a 2019 and I think I ruined the car for him by pointing out how fake the artificial engine noise is in that car. The car is a v6 twin-turbo which sounded like a video game version of a V8 through the speakers. The AWD GT is definitely fast but not all that comfortable or fun to drive. It also has way too many fake vents and grills that already are looking long-in-tooth. The GS will continue to look good for a long time into the future. IMO
I don't understand why so many people like Kia Stinger. It is extremely cramped up front. Regal is much wider and is way more comfortable. I don't trust Kia quality at all, especially engines. There are plenty of channels on Youtube that show how terrible Hyundai/Kia engines are. On the other hand, GM Ecotec 2.0T used to have weak aluminum pistons, it was the only major problem. 2018+ Ecotec LTG comes standard with cast aluminum pistons as far as I know, so the issue was resolved.

BradyB0225

Buick Ownership
1992 Riviera
I don't understand why so many people like Kia Stinger. It is extremely cramped up front. Regal is much wider and is way more comfortable. I don't trust Kia quality at all, especially engines. There are plenty of channels on Youtube that show how terrible Hyundai/Kia engines are. On the other hand, GM Ecotec 2.0T used to have weak aluminum pistons, it was the only major problem. 2018+ Ecotec LTG comes standard with cast aluminum pistons as far as I know, so the issue was resolved.
I've been excited to drive the Stinger and the Veloster based on their advertised horsepower but they always seemed slow to shift and heavy. They never seem to perform as well as you would expect. For example, the AWD twin-turbo with 368 horsepower is unable to break 5 seconds with 0-60. That seems slow to me.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!