• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Squealing brakes

Jmlo96

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX Essence
If I were a betting man, I'd say that ether the rear brake caliper slide pins are not sliding or the brake pad ear are not freely moving in the caliper bracket. Since the pads aren't hitting the rotor as they should, the rotor is likely rusting. Road salt really causes havoc on the brake system.

Our 2018 Sienna that has only seen 3 winters, the rear brakes are totally shot after 20k because the pads needed beaten out of the caliper bracket with a hammer.

The only way to combat this is to clean the rust and coat the slide pins and caliper bracket with a good silicon brake lube. It seems like most manufactures don't bother to do this from the factory. I would also highly recommend everyone use the parking brake. Using it helps keep it functioning and helps to squeeze the pads, keeping them moving.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I will probably be buying some parts soon so I will find out what is going on back there. Hopefully I will get to this soon but the spring has brought lots of projects that have to get done.

Not sure using the parking brake would do anything but keep that mechanism free'd up. Haven't looked into these brakes but most modern parking brakes use the regular pads, so actuating them during parking does nothing more than using them while driving. They are either free moving or they aren't. If anything I could see cases that using the brake could be more of a problem.

Jmlo96

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX Essence
I will probably be buying some parts soon so I will find out what is going on back there. Hopefully I will get to this soon but the spring has brought lots of projects that have to get done.

Not sure using the parking brake would do anything but keep that mechanism free'd up. Haven't looked into these brakes but most modern parking brakes use the regular pads, so actuating them during parking does nothing more than using them while driving. They are either free moving or they aren't. If anything I could see cases that using the brake could be more of a problem.
The parking brake actuates the caliper and presses on the brake pads. It presses on the the pads a lot more than you would in normal driving, unless you panic stop a lot. It also keeps everything moving inside the caliper.

Keep in mind that there may be a specific procedure to retract the caliper piston. I don't know about our cars in particular, but some cars require a scan tool to retract the piston.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800
Hawk makes a pad with a lifetime warranty; their Super Duty line are some serious pads. I may prefer EBC as they're made in the UK and right out of the box don't contain potentially toxic smelling chemicals etc. that seen to emit from pads made elsewhere. Either way I recommend the rotors be turned or replaced with the job.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Rotors will be replaced, the cost of new rotors is not much more than turning them. Plus it is more downtime and I run the risk of having to pull it all apart again if there is an issue. Had it happen once years ago, so now it just isn't worth it to me.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
Rotors will be replaced, the cost of new rotors is not much more than turning them. Plus it is more downtime and I run the risk of having to pull it all apart again if there is an issue. Had it happen once years ago, so now it just isn't worth it to me.
I haven't had a shop say they'd turn rotors in a long time. Safer to just have new ones, especially with ceramic brakes.

KingDapostrophe

Iowa
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Adding my experience:

Purchased a 2018.5 in MN with 45k miles on it. Didn't hear any brake squeal during the test drive (that I could remember) and none during my drive back to Iowa. Parked in my garage. I have a habit of *always* using the parking brake every single time I park. I guess I was paranoid of putting too much stress on my old car's transmission (not for any good reason, that car had the previous version of this Aisin). First drive after I parked in the garage, I get brake squeal.

Now it happens every time I get out of my garage. It used to consistently go away after I drive for a bit, but now it's hard to predict when it will go away and when it won't. I took it to the dealer to ask them to check it out (too lazy/don't have enough stands to lift it myself), and they told me I had plenty of rear pad life left, the rotors looked fine (they do) and that they applied brake cleaner and "redid the bedding process" to see if some hard stops would make it go away. It didn't. They didn't charge me anything, but said they'd take apart the brakes or replace the pads if I wanted them to, with the associated cost. I was told that it could be because the car was sitting on a lot somewhere for so long, and the brakes just needed to be "worked in."

It still stops fine, but whenever I pull out of my driveway, I'm 50% sure I'm noticing a rubbing sound that goes away eventually. Might be the parking brake sticking a bit. I don't know. I was just going to buy new pads and have the dealer install when I take her in for an oil change. I keep telling myself to try parking without the parking brake on to see if it squeals afterwards, but it's such a habit that it's muscle memory at this point. In different times I'd probably be compelled to lift it myself and take apart the brakes, but life is busy now, which is a big reason I bought this car that I was hoping I wouldn't have to wrench myself :LOL:

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
14k miles on my 2019, few weeks ago the squeal started. Cold start pulling out of the parking garage, after that it's gone. Glad I'm not the only one. I also use the parking brake every time I park, my logic was to keep un necessary stress of engine mounts and other rubber bits. Maybe silly, who knows

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
When I was inquiring about having rotors turned I think it was $30 cash for the pair. I would prefer to replace them but I wouldn't be very confident in most rotors on the market now. As others have stated elsewhere on the forum rotors were never an issue years ago even when turned; only now perhaps due to lower quality materials (maybe in combination with much more responsive brakes on modern cars) do they seem to have to be replaced all the time.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I don't have any specs, but I wouldn't be surprised if the older rotors were thicker. Probably because the cars were so heavy and you needed more thermal heat sink, but I would also guess that as mpg became more important so did weight. So as cars got lighter the brakes could be made thinner leaving little to machine off. I doubt the materials have changed much over the years and to the contrary I find modern brakes to last a lot longer than older cars. The town I grew up in there is a hill that is a 25% grade for a mile with lots of turns...you could always smell brake pads and often see glowing rotors. Up until around 1990, it was common for every car my parents had to warp the rotors at some point. I don't know if it was the lighter vehicles, better cooling design, better pads??? All I can say is you rarely smell brake pads in town now, usually only when an out of towner rides the brakes all the way down or a big truck just went down.

As a side note, I ordered a set of rotors for the rear that are said to fit the Sportback but not listed to fit the TourX. Since it looks like they are the same on paper I am taking a chance. I will will update the thread when they come in and I confirm they fit or the don't.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
When I was inquiring about having rotors turned I think it was $30 cash for the pair. I would prefer to replace them but I wouldn't be very confident in most rotors on the market now. As others have stated elsewhere on the forum rotors were never an issue years ago even when turned; only now perhaps due to lower quality materials (maybe in combination with much more responsive brakes on modern cars) do they seem to have to be replaced all the time.
I had nothing but problems with turned rotors and ceramic pads the first few times I tried it, so I won't ever turn rotors again.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
I opted to replace my fronts rotors as well. EBC rotors have so far been the best quality brake parts I've bought.

As far as rotors years ago, they were still turned for a new surface so they would also get to a point of needing to be replaced, especially in a hilly area. Someone who was a mechanic in the early 70s was saying something along those lines on this forum a few years back. As far as smells we don't typically see (at least full) metallic pads anymore and they also used to contain asbestos and who knows what else. Less efficient drum brakes are also less common now though are still seen on some newer models' rears.

MMKRegalTX

Pittsburgh, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Is anyone else experiencing brake squeal only at low speed? I have about 27k on the pads and haven't had a chance to look at them but seems kind of early to need replacement. Initially they just squealed the first brake I reverse when cold. Then was backing out of the spot and at end of driveway. Now it is all the time at slow speed even after they are warmed up but still seems like the rears. Is anyone else experiencing this or did at one point?
Every
Single
Day

I have only 13k on my car and use it daily.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!