Squealing/chirping noise under the hood

Vector

Buick Ownership
2016 Cascada
I suspect I know what the problem is, and it is not what most would assume.

Our low mileage problem free 2016 Cascada started to sequel today, and naturally I thought is was the serpentine belt. I checked it while stopped for any slack, cracks, delam of the inside, etc.
Then running the engine tried to observe any slipping or distortions. I also turned on and off the A/C to see if the clutch was causing the noise, but if was too intermittent to be the issue.
I also wondered if I had a harmonic stabilizer issue, but also ruled that our based on my observation. I physically checked any pulley/component and tensioner, yet everything seemed in order.

Then I had something unusual happen. After I turned off the engine, I continued to hear the squeal/chip for a few seconds, and what sounded like gas/air escaping.
Needless to say if it makes the noise after the belt has stopped spinning, it is not any of the aforementioned suspected problems.
I therefore suspect either a crank seal/gasket leak (not good) or pressure issue via the pcv value (what I am hoping for).

Has anyone else experienced what I described, before I dive into this further, which I really don't have the time for?

fins2thright

Buick Ownership
Cascada
I have the exact same issue and my 2016 Cascada is currently at the dealer today. They just called to tell me that they think it is the valve cover and they are ordering a new one. At the same time, I read that some other GM vehicles suffer this issue due to spark plugs that are not fully tightened and also possibly from a PCV valve that is defective that lets air leak by. Hope this helps. I will let you know about the valve cover, which by the way is covered by the drivetrain warranty.

Vector

Buick Ownership
2016 Cascada
I have the exact same issue and my 2016 Cascada is currently at the dealer today. They just called to tell me that they think it is the valve cover and they are ordering a new one. At the same time, I read that some other GM vehicles suffer this issue due to spark plugs that are not fully tightened and also possibly from a PCV valve that is defective that lets air leak by. Hope this helps. I will let you know about the valve cover, which by the way is covered by the drivetrain warranty.
Thanks for your reply, and welcome to the forum.

I have been meaning to update my situation, but have been waiting on the dealer to complete the repair and make sure that is the only issue.
They discovered it was the value cover ( "a known issue" ) and put an order in for one. The trouble is they are all on backorder, and could take "weeks to arrive".
Being pro-active I did my own search and found one at a dealership close enough to drive to had. However before I pulled the trigger I found out that while a new OEM part, it was the older design, thus a different part number.
It will certainly fit and work, but it could develop the same issue over time. So the newer redesigned cover has engineered out the problem, so it is worth waiting for.

fins2thright

Buick Ownership
Cascada
Good to know. My valve/cam cover is also on back order with no firm delivery date. Seems like there might be a business opportunity in designing a permanent fix for this niche issue. :)

Vector

Buick Ownership
2016 Cascada
Ok guys and gals, here is the resolution to my experience.

The updated camshaft cover finally arrived. I believe it is part number [00386-C] , and was installed the same day.
I believe it was 2.6 hours of labor for a total of $1,328

However since mine is such a low mileage Cascada, it was covered by a manufacturer warranty, so I did not pay anything for it.
So for those of you in the same boat, it does hurt to ask if GM will cover it since it is a known problem, that takes a modified new part to fix it.
[ Also remember to make sure the replacement cover is the redesigned one, not the older one that some dealer parts departments might have in stock.
It is my understanding they are less costly, so if you have to pay out of pocket, that might be an option for you ]

Lastly, I asked the dealer for a loaner car while I waited for the backordered new cover to arrive. They like many other dealers have sold their loaner cars because of car shortages, to help keep their used sale force intact, and to make some money with how much used car values have gone up.
However they did say that GM would reimburse me up to 5 days for a rental car, provided it was a GM model rental.
So I rented a Chevy something or other, and when I picked up my Cascada today, they took my receipt and said they would submit it for me.
Keep that in mind if you wind up in the same boat.

`

fins2thright

Buick Ownership
Cascada
Thanks for the update. My valve/cam cover came in two days, which was shocking. The service manager told me it was covered under a special extended warranty that Buick is providing. He also told me the part number for the cover was changed and he thought the new cover was redesigned to eliminate the pcv valve failure issue. The bill was $1138.00 and I paid zero. Yay!

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners