Steering still pulling to right after alignment

jkoppe

Buick Ownership
2012 Verano
Had the front end alignment done, only 7900 miles on vehicle, but was pulling to right. after the work was done, it still pulls, not as bad, but it is still doing it. Not too familiar with steering system on this car, rack and pinion? If so does it have a center point like the old Saginaw box type does? The steering wheel is off center to the left just a hair while driving straight, thinking R&P is off center, anyone familiar with this type steering?

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
With that mileage on the tires they have worn from misalignment. After double checking tire pressures from all four tires you might want to rotate them.

jkoppe

Buick Ownership
2012 Verano
Forgot to mention, this was occuring before and after rotation. dealer checked tires, all passed inspection

carbearator50

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hi, On the blog awhile back, I to noticed a pull or tracking right. I am due for a 8,000 mile service to check the car out further. It seems to drift and I don't like a car that does not track straight. My 2002 work lesabre tracks perfect and I have had the alignment done once after a bad tie rod at 86,000 miles.Will keep you posted. The dealer said that they put the car on the alignment rack and said it was in specks The tires are going to be rotated,and for some reason they think it will fix the problem. I dont. 2013 verano

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
What type of roads, i.e two-lane four lane divided..., speeds, pavement type?

Does it pull on acceleration, steady state cruise, braking?

jkoppe

Buick Ownership
2012 Verano
Not a road or pavement type issue since it does it anywhere, any speed. Of couse if it pulls while driving, its going to when you brake.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
No, we need details. Because an alignment is not going find a a driveline or transmission issueor a sticking brake caliper.

You need to accelerate gentle from both sides of the road crown. Then do the similar by braking gentle. All of this with finger tips on the a steering wheel and watching it's reponse. Also include light throttle and putting the transmission in neutral to eliminate the transmission.

We haven't focused on the rear end yet.

Detroit, USA
Not a road or pavement type issue since it does it anywhere, any speed. Of couse if it pulls while driving, its going to when you brake.
Hi jkoppe,

I am happy to assist further and find a resolution for you. If you could send us a private message with your name, address, phone number, VIN, vehicle mileage, and name of involved dealership, I can research further. Thank you!

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

jkoppe

Buick Ownership
2012 Verano
will run through Norms list of troubleshooting. Honestly I don't think it is an isuue other than the steering system is not centered, as I stated in my original post, as I am driving straight down the road, my steering wheel is cocked to the left slightly, this tells me from experience that the steering gear is not centered. I will need to take back to dealer to install the two punch relay (when shipment arrives)and they will look at it again (already advised the rep). If I have any problems with pulling after that I will PM you, thanks!!

Last edited:

Mrdummy

TheFitnessBoard.com
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano
I can say as well that your wheel should be dead center when tires are perfectly straight...

So that's an issue right there, but other info would help us help you.

MrD

jkoppe

Buick Ownership
2012 Verano
O K Norm, I ran through all the scenarios you mentioned and all of them the vehcle pulled to right. with that said, it pulled right and the steering wheel came to center from the slight left position and quit turning, stoping at where I believe gear center is at.

jkoppe

Buick Ownership
2012 Verano
Ya, did that, same problem. guess its just the nature of the beast, just have to live with it I guess.

Last edited:

carbearator50

Buick Ownership
Buick
Got my v back yesterday and the dealer rotated the tires,blah,blah,blah. My friend at work says that I should try a level parking lot to test the cars tracking straight or to the right. The dealer added that the tires where not uneven tread wise. Furthermore they said that they found nothing wrong. { don't they always) I asked if they put the car on an alignment rack and they really did not give me an answer. If it drifts right, something is off. Any ideas or can I go to a front end shop just to check the specs:blink::headbang::eek:

jkoppe

Buick Ownership
2012 Verano
I saw my car on the rack, so I know they checked it, but, the mechanic wrote that he re-rotated the tires, then rotated left to right front to back, left to right and so on until he got the car to steer right, now I find my air pressure sensors are not sync'd to the correct tire, dash shows left rear is low, when in fact it is the right rear that is low. Guess I need to take it back again now to get those in order...these weekly visits are not what I invisioned when I bought this car. Now with all the rotating and switching positions, doesn't that say something about the tires?

Boost

Buick Ownership
Buick
My '13 Verano T has been pulling to the right from Day 1 when I picked it up with 7 miles. It currently has 8000 miles. I tried rotating the tires crossed and always keep the pressures even. Does on on all type of road crowns.

I don't plan on taking it to the dealer for this, being a dealer tech myself I know that there is NO money in this for the flat rate techs and not many of them are competent at all.

Unless Jessica can help with some bulletin or engineering info, I will just continue enjoying my awesome Buick and rotate the tires on time to avoid uneven wear.

I used to work at an Audi dealer as a tech and the A6s always pulled to the right due to a motor mount problem (?)

I can be reached (e-mail):

tune@torquesouth.com

Last edited:

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Obviously if the tires were rotated they need to be synched. I wouldn't worry too much about that just when, if ever, the warning goes off you know you have a flat.

I have a digital tire pressure guage that reads down to tenths of a pound. Not sure how accurate it is but do know there is varibility in the mechanical schrader valve. So I take about 3 measurements and take the average. The the cars TPS I'll see about 2 psi difference at times mostly due to road irregularities.

jhnjohnp

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hi jkoppe,

I am happy to assist further and find a resolution for you. If you could send us a private message with your name, address, phone number, VIN, vehicle mileage, and name of involved dealership, I can research further. Thank you!

Jessica
Buick Customer Care
Hello Jessica.
I'm not jkoppe, but have a similar problem with my 2014 Regal, it pulls to the left. Bought the car used with 9400 miles on it, and had it aligned shortly after purchase by Mavis Tire. Alignment was way off, front end was toed out and left rear also. Left pull became worse after correct alignment. Brought it back to the dealer for left pull, and they claimed the alignment was off, after they aligned it the pull was not as bad but still there. Took it to another shop, brand new Hunter alignment machine, and found Buick had adjusted the rear thrust angle to steer left and toed the front end in significantly. Also had the tires balanced and found one of the rims to have a flat spot which I had repaired for $80.00. Left front lower ball joint dust boot appears to be leaking grease which leads me to believe this car hit a curb, bad pot hole, etc. Of course after the miss-alignment by the dealer I have little trust in them. Transmission also shutters between 1st and 2nd, dealer says nothing wrong. If you can assist me, please tell me where to send you a private message.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
You wouldn't think it would be that difficult to get a car in alignment and to have it drive straight.

With that being said...

My old 2003 Toyota Tacoma has had a slight pull(drift) to the left from day 1, and I bought it brand new.
Over the 1st year I probably had it at 6 different shops including the dealership trying to remedy the problem.
None could solve it.
I decided to live with it since I liked the truck so much.
I've had it aligned a few more times over the years, and always when I get new tires.
It now has 110,000 miles, on it's third set of tires, and the pull is still there.

As a side note, I rotate the tires when I do oil changes, every 5,000 miles on all my cars.
And I am kind of OCD with tire pressure and tire balance.
The tires have always worn out evenly on all my cars.

G-943592

Had the front end alignment done, only 7900 miles on vehicle, but was pulling to right. after the work was done, it still pulls, not as bad, but it is still doing it. Not too familiar with steering system on this car, rack and pinion? If so does it have a center point like the old Saginaw box type does? The steering wheel is off center to the left just a hair while driving straight, thinking R&P is off center, anyone familiar with this type steering?
Well my 2013 Verano pulls to the left 90% of the time. Its been aligned by the dealer, by Firestone several times and after installing new tires. Bugs me the most on long trips on interstate hwys. Anyway I've gone NASCAR... the left side tire pressure is a lb high and the right side is a lb low. Seems better.