• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Steering Wheel Buttons and A/C Control LEDs. Where Can I Find Them?

sidepart

Contributing Member
Buick Ownership
2008 Buick LaCrosse Super, {RIP}2000 Buick LeSabre Limited{RIP}
2000 Buick LeSabre here. Things are starting to wear down cosmetically on it unfortunately.

I had two of my steering wheel control LEDs and one of the A/C control LEDs go out on me. Does anyone know where I can find replacements? Anyone know how to remove those buttons? Can I just pry them off?

Also a couple of my steering wheel buttons (volume control, seek) are really worn down...the paint is actually wearing off on them and they look pretty nasty. Anyone know of a Buick junkyard of sorts that I could call up, maybe have them ship some they can pull off of a steering wheel?

dg_da

Buick Ownership
Buick
I also have a 2000 LeSabre. This may not help but it might give you an idea of the construction of these things. The attached picture is the front side of the printed circuit board inside the headlight/parking light switch assembly on the dash. Look carefully at lower right hand and left hand sides of it. Those are the LED lamps for that assembly. As I recall from when I had it apart, those are soldered into the PCB. Even if I'm wrong about that I know you couldn't replace the LED for this assembly without opening up the case, not easy, to get at the PCB and LED.

I don't know about the steering wheel LEDs but I would guess that the A/C controller has a similar PCB assembly where the LEDs are part of it. I'm guessing the problem wouldn't be getting replacement LEDs, any Radio Shack would have some. The problem will be in getting enough access to the PCB and then de-soldering the old LED out and soldering a new one in.

DonP

VA
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick LaCrosse.
Not sure about the 2000, but on the 2004 the lamps in the steering wheel controls, HVAC controls, radio controls, dash controls, etc. are all small incandescent lamps.

IF the 2000 model uear uses the same lamp, the best replacement lamp is probably a #8111, it is the right size and designed for long life at 14 volts (the nominal voltage in a car when the engine is running). The lamps are soldered in, and most appear to have a bit of a slip-on base and a thin blue color correction film over the glass that can be carefully removed and installed on a new lamp.

While you might be able to install a LED replacement, you would need to be sure to get the polarity right, and may have to install a current limiting resistor as well if not built into the LED.

Does require some electronic technician skills to do this, especially circuit board soldering.

sidepart

Contributing Member
Buick Ownership
I also have a 2000 LeSabre. This may not help but it might give you an idea of the construction of these things. The attached picture is the front side of the printed circuit board inside the headlight/parking light switch assembly on the dash. Look carefully at lower right hand and left hand sides of it. Those are the LED lamps for that assembly.
Looks like it'd be relatively easy to desolder the LEDs and throw some new ones on. Getting at the PCB is probably the worst part of this. I will probably end up forgetting about it for now.

That leaves me with replacing the buttons for the steering wheel. It sounds like they just pry off?

sidepart

Contributing Member
Buick Ownership
Oh...the A/C controls are actually a big unit, kind of like a car stereo. So I could just purchase a whole new one if I really wanted... $75 is cheapest I can find so far but...meh.

dg_da

Buick Ownership
Buick
As Don P notes, these bulbs are incandescents. But all the other points I made about the probable difficulty of replacement apply. I don't know about prying off the steering wheel buttons. The only component I disassembled was the headlight/parking light switch assembly. In my case the lights were OK. I took it apart because the buttons were sticking. My guess is that if you remove and disassemble the A/C controls, you would have direct access to the bulb for solder/desolder. I found it very easy to remove the headlight switch assembly. The harder part was prying off the back of it without breaking any of the one way plastic tabs that the back snaps into to be held securely in place. Once the back was off though it was fairly easy to gently ease the PCB out of the assembly. If you get that far with the A/C assembly, you would probably then have direct access for the solder/desolder of the bulb.

Hawk

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2000 Lesabre, 93 Century
2000 Buick LeSabre here. Things are starting to wear down cosmetically on it unfortunately.

I had two of my steering wheel control LEDs and one of the A/C control LEDs go out on me. Does anyone know where I can find replacements? Anyone know how to remove those buttons? Can I just pry them off?

Also a couple of my steering wheel buttons (volume control, seek) are really worn down...the paint is actually wearing off on them and they look pretty nasty. Anyone know of a Buick junkyard of sorts that I could call up, maybe have them ship some they can pull off of a steering wheel?

Look at Rock Auto dot com for parts

The Steering Wheel Buttons are a ROYAL PAIN to try to get apart and replace the cheap light they use. Its just cheaper and less of a pain in the long run to just replace the bottons with new ones. You can use two small screw drivers (flat head like for eye glasses) to gently pry the buttons out of their space in the wheel. There is enough lead in the wires to get them out far enough to unclip them.

I have not done my AC control unit yet, but seeing as most of our match up to 2005, I was going to check the local bone yards for a newer one. Would be cheaper. If I do get to do my AC unit one here within the next week, I will do a write up on it. But seeing as the support on this site is falling greatly, I might have to post it else where then hyper link it here.

Good luck with your light venture

leroy

Buick Ownership
lesebre limited
Re: 2004 Buick Lesebre Limited

I have been slowly replacing my steering wheel controls on the steering wheel but have had a problem replacing the seek/band/scan & the on/off cruise control in the correct color which is grey. I am considering sending to a company that repairs the lights but I cannot locate a company online. Do anyone know of any companies that does this? If so, can you please either send me the information on here or send to my office via email (thesofagallery@netzero.net )

Thanking you in advance

Pedal Commander