Stop start

Karen Val

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Can stop start be disabled in the 2016 Encore? Love the car; hate the feature! See some discussion on it, but didn't see an answer. The dealer said no way!

borbc

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Doubt there is any way to disable that annoying start stop feature. You must have the higher output engine since the standard engine on my 2016 Encore does not have the start stop and is one of the main reasons I was not interested in the 2017 which I heard has the start stop standard.

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Encore
Doubt there is any way to disable that annoying start stop feature. You must have the higher output engine since the standard engine on my 2016 Encore does not have the start stop and is one of the main reasons I was not interested in the 2017 which I heard has the start stop standard.
I bought a 2018 Encore New about a month ago with Standard engine and thankfully no Stop/Start, glad to be rid of it for now after my 2016 Malibu Stop/Start

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
Can stop start be disabled in the 2016 Encore? Love the car; hate the feature! See some discussion on it, but didn't see an answer. The dealer said no way!
I believe there are ways to do so, such as purchasing an aftermarket disabling module. Here are some links, and there are discussions on this forum about disabling start/stop on other Buick models.

Start/Stop overide module fro Buick Encores - Google Search

Search results for query: stop/start module

Chevy-Buick-Cadillac-GMC Products

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
$139.95 to disable Stop/Start? Yikes! I'd pay $50, but that's about it. I'll live with it.

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Encore
I was more talking on the free side of things when it comes to disabling stop/start, I wouldn't be adding anything custom on a car that is under warranty. Let alone pay to make it not work like it was designed to.

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
$139.95 to disable Stop/Start? Yikes! I'd pay $50, but that's about it. I'll live with it.
I guess everyone has their price point... :)
I've never owned a vehicle with start/stop, but have driven 2 that did.
I would pay twice that or even more to get rid of that idiocy.

I absolutely despised the feature on the cars I drove.
I have 2 relatives with Cadillac's that have start/stop. They absolutely hate it also.
On at least one of the Cadillac's, I know that you can disengage it, but you have to do it every time you restart the car. It's not a "permanent" disengaged setting.

IMO start/stop is one of the most ridiculous things the manufacturers ever came up with.
I would like to know what the added wear and tear there is on things like the starter, battery, fluids, and even the engine itself.

Last edited:

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
I totally agree about it being stupid. I know some Fords have this (even on the F150 Ecoboost), Mercedes, and Chrysler. I'm not sure of others. I thought Caddies had an override button? Either way, I don't believe it saves all that much. It's just a way for manufacturers to squeeze out every little bit to meet CAFE regulations.

As far as added wear, I've read a bit about the technology. As much as I dislike it, it is interesting, and it doesn't scare me at all.

Does Auto-Stop/Start Technology Wear Out Engine Components?

Myth-busting: Does stop-start damage your engine? | Practical Motoring

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
The Caddies I am familiar with are 2 or 3 years old. They do a have a start/stop disengagement feature, but you have to reset it every time you re-start the vehicle. It's not a "setting" you can just set and forget. New ones might be different.

adamcar

Buick Ownership
Buick
If you can remember to go into manual mode before stopping or just shift yourself all the time in manual mode, that disables auto start/stop.

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Encore
I totally agree about it being stupid. I know some Fords have this (even on the F150 Ecoboost), Mercedes, and Chrysler. I'm not sure of others. I thought Caddies had an override button? Either way, I don't believe it saves all that much. It's just a way for manufacturers to squeeze out every little bit to meet CAFE regulations.

As far as added wear, I've read a bit about the technology. As much as I dislike it, it is interesting, and it doesn't scare me at all.

Does Auto-Stop/Start Technology Wear Out Engine Components?

Myth-busting: Does stop-start damage your engine? | Practical Motoring
I dont trust it at all, I question the technology with all the cracked pistons that have begun to show up on GM cars.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
If you don't want to buy the aftermarket disabling module to cancel stop/start you can:

Shift the transmission into manual mode as adamcar pointed out, set the air-conditioner to recirculate (I think) and just this week, I saw a thread about popping open the hood before you start the car (see link below). Of these, I think shifting into manual would be easiest.

Little-Known Trick Will Disable Your Engine Auto-Stop-Start System

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX 2019
Agree its kinda dumb. Thought I would be often disabling it (let off brake, then re-apply when you come to a stop, shift into neutral briefly, ac on, others already mentioned), but find I'm often letting it do it's thing, unless I think I want a split-second faster response from stop (not sure it makes that much difference though really). Full disclosure, I don't keep cars very long these days, mostly because they're loaded with electronics that will eventually cause expensive problems

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.