• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.
  • In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Story about Dealers, Warranties and Tires

Sael

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I was pairing a phone on my wife’s 2018 TourX the other day, I was in the cold garage and the car had been sitting all night. After no more than 2 minutes the center info screen dinged and said “battery weak, start car immediately “ I did and it was charging at 15.1 volts. I have read the battery stories here and am still on the bumper to bumper warranty so later that day I took it to the Buick dealer. Now I don’t like these people and I probably had a bit of a chip on my shoulder but I drove in and told them I thought my battery was gone, they asked why and I told them what had happened. They said my battery couldn’t be gone at 28k and 15.1v was normal. Then I told them what I had read on the net, mistake of course, they said they have never had a battery problem before. I said you mean you won’t test it and they said they would but I’d have to pay. Wtf, still under warranty.
I left and the next day took it to the local Chevy/Caddy dealer. I told them what was going on with the car. They scanned the VIN and brought it in even though I didn’t have an appointment. They came back a short time later and said it was weak but they needed to perform a two hour diagnostic to prove to GM that it was the battery and not something else (read up on the charging system, very complex) I asked if this would be covered under the warranty and they said yes, so we scheduled for 2 days later. It is now done and I learned that GM does not warranty diagnostics that prove nothing is wrong. The Chevy dealer ran it under the complimentary 28 or whatever point inspection and that covered it either way. Phew
If this is a bit confusing it’s because I’m laying in the hospital having just had hip replacement surgery this afternoon.
Also my car sat new at a dealers for a year, when it went to the selling dealer the car fax shows new tires, that made no sense to me until I had the winter tires put on and could see that the Conti's didn’t have the foam inserts. They must has messed up just sitting there requiring replacement with only minimal miles.

HA, posted twice, well at least I have a good excuse called dilaudid.

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I was pairing a phone on my wife’s 2018 TourX the other day, I was in the cold garage and the car had been sitting all night. After no more than 2 minutes the center info screen dinged and said “battery weak, start car immediately “ I did and it was charging at 15.1 volts. I have read the battery stories here and am still on the bumper to bumper warranty so later that day I took it to the Buick dealer. Now I don’t like these people and I probably had a bit of a chip on my shoulder but I drove in and told them I thought my battery was gone, they asked why and I told them what had happened. They said my battery couldn’t be gone at 28k and 15.1v was normal. Then I told them what I had read on the net, mistake of course, they said they have never had a battery problem before. I said you mean you won’t test it and they said they would but I’d have to pay. Wtf, still under warranty.
I left and the next day took it to the local Chevy/Caddy dealer. I told them what was going on with the car. They scanned the VIN and brought it in even though I didn’t have an appointment. They came back a short time later and said it was weak but they needed to perform a two hour diagnostic to prove to GM that it was the battery and not something else (read up on the charging system, very complex) I asked if this would be covered under the warranty and they said yes, so we scheduled for 2 days later. It is now done and I learned that GM does not warranty diagnostics that prove nothing is wrong. The Chevy dealer ran it under the complimentary 28 or whatever point inspection and that covered it either way. Phew
If this is a bit confusing it’s because I’m laying in the hospital having just had hip replacement surgery this afternoon.
Also my car sat new at a dealers for a year, when it went to the selling dealer the car fax shows new tires, that made no sense to me until I had the winter tires put on and could see that the Conti's didn’t have the foam inserts. They must has messed up just sitting there requiring replacement with only minimal miles.

HA, posted twice, well at least I have a good excuse called dilaudid.
Hang in there, glad that you found a good dealer to help with your problem with your battery.
Sounds like you can take a GM vehicle to any brand GM dealer if issues with branded dealer.
I assumed they might insist warranty work be done at Buick dealer, if car is operational and a Buick dealer is in the vicinity.

Sael

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Hang in there, glad that you found a good dealer to help with your problem with your battery.
Sounds like you can take a GM vehicle to any brand GM dealer if issues with branded dealer.
I assumed they might insist warranty work be done at Buick dealer, if car is operational and a Buick dealer is in the vicinity.
No one at the Chevy/Caddy dealer ever asked why I was here and not there. He just snapped a photo of the VIN and away we went

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
No one at the Chevy/Caddy dealer ever asked why I was here and not there. He just snapped a photo of the VIN and away we went
Cool, good to know.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Any GM dealer can perform warranty services. Bringing it to the model dealer may help as they may be more aware or have had experience on the problem already.

GM dealerships are lack of a better term franchises with some owned by a corporation and others still independently owned. So that may explain why there are differences in how they operate across their entire organization.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
When a car sits for a year, many interesting problems arise and tires + batteries are two of them. Also, my experience with 3 Regals has been that the B to B Warranty is just that. I’ve never paid anything other than normal maintenance charges. This forum makes it obvious that dealers run from very bad to very good. Shouldn’t be that way but it is.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Take into account that someone like Berkshire Hathaway Automotive who has 85 dealership as a example will have a business model that will differ then the locally owned dealerships model.

Of course it could boil down to the service writer behind the desk not wanting to deal with certain matters and just blowing off the customer.

Then it could be that the customer is the problem child and only post their side of story and it's always in their favor where the dealership is always wrong.

cleeland

STL MO
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
In my experience with various dealers with various marquees over the years, it all comes down to the service writer and the service manager--and that tone is set by the GM and potentially the owner.

In one particular case, a great service manager retired and another took over. The service quality was not the same.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
Any GM dealer can perform warranty services. Bringing it to the model dealer may help as they may be more aware or have had experience on the problem already.

GM dealerships are lack of a better term franchises with some owned by a corporation and others still independently owned. So that may explain why there are differences in how they operate across their entire organization.
Yes, I've had my Chevys serviced at Buick or Cadillac dealers.

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence, 1985 Skyhawk T-Type, 1982 Regal Coupe, 1970 Skylark sedan
Sael,
Wishing all the best for you. When you mentioned dilaudid, I shuddered - forgot about that one

I've been learning from the good folks on this forum, regarding my lack of ASS ASS went away? - and its potential relationship to my battery going weak. I think I'll be discussing this at my Dealer in a few weeks.

Sael

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I remember when you could get your Opel GT serviced at a Buick dealership.
A friend bought a brand new beautiful orange Opel Manta 1.9 from the local Buick/Oldsmobile dealership way back when. He made it about 9 miles down the road before it died, towed back it was quickly diagnosed as a bad condenser. Not a big deal but also not a great way to start out with a new automobile.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
The second picture of the 70's Buick Opel dealership is more like when they were selling Kadettes

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Assuming that the Opel's showing up in the 60's may have been metric, cannot confirm, but if so that is probably why they would be serviced at Buick if just on the tool sets needed.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Assuming that the Opel's showing up in the 60's may have been metric, cannot confirm, but if so that is probably why they would be serviced at Buick if just on the tool sets needed.
No doubt they were metric, after 50 years we still have that crazy metric situation with no end in sight.

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence, 1985 Skyhawk T-Type, 1982 Regal Coupe, 1970 Skylark sedan
wow, that tried to send me down a comfy rabbit-hole, great links

1642172035851.png

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Last edited: