Strip LED DRLs and front directionals

Erebus

North Central MA
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal
Anyone done it?

I was looking at my non-HID housings and I think that it would be pretty easy(not to mention cool) to put a strip of LEDs above the headlights inside the housings. I'm thinking a strip that would alternate between white and amber. Basically replacing the DRLs and directionals with LEDs a la the Audis.

I'm going to buy a set of housings and do some experimenting. Have to figure out how to rewire the DRLs to the white LEDs and the directionals to the amber LEDs. And wire the white ones to go out when the directional is on. Shouldn't be too hard I don't think. My intention is to set it up without modifying the factory wiring.

Any insight anyone has in regards to the wiring on the Regal would be appreciated.

Factory service manuals aren't available yet but I am on the list to be notified once they are.

goobee

Sunny California
Buick Ownership
2011 Opel Insignia CXL T07

Erebus

North Central MA
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal
If you use something like this that is already 12v, then it shouldn't be too difficult. Break a bulb and use the base to wire the leads. Check the polarity with a multimeter and solder the leads onto the base. Plug and play.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/48cm-48-LED-Flexible-Strip-Light-Lamp-Bulb-White-12V-N-/160429357246?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255a55b8be
I have looked at those but I can't find any that are White and Amber and are bright enough in the daylight to replace the DRLS and directionals. So I plan on fabricating them myself.

Great idea about using a bulb as a base though. Will definitely use that. I plan on setting it up so that I don't have to cut/modify any factory wiring. I really don't like mods that can't be reversed completely. And patching wires back together isn't a complete reversal to me. So I plan on (if necessary) making pigtails that will fit between the factory headlight wiring and the modified housings.

goobee

Sunny California
Buick Ownership
2011 Opel Insignia CXL T07
If you wait long enough, the tuner market may come out with aftermarket housing similar to what you want. Have you tried the Insignia forums?

Erebus

North Central MA
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal
If you wait long enough, the tuner market may come out with aftermarket housing similar to what you want. Have you tried the Insignia forums?
No I haven't. I'm a tinkerer and tend to be anal about things. So I will just build exactly what I want. If it's easy enough to do I will post detailed instructions on how to do it.

Only real question I have is how the DRLs are wired. I can figure it out if I have to but a wiring diagram would save time.