Stripped bolts

pboling

Buick Ownership
1996 regal gs coupe
been trying to replace my brake pad and rotors for 2 weeks but i haven't been able to get this stripped bracket bolt off. before you ask i have used over a can of wd40, used heat, vibrated and tried to twist it out with vice grips and now tried these screw extractors and it hasn't moved a mm. any tips? i will take any advice.
image.jpg

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
If you were in a shop I would say tack weld a bolt onto the head of the stripped bolt.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Air chisel on the outside of the bolt head to try to unscrew it, cut off the head and drill it out get new bracket, 6pt air socket very snug fit and drive it on outside of the bolt, blue flame bolt remover. Depending on tools and how much damage you are willing to accept.

pboling

Buick Ownership
1996 regal gs coupe
Air chisel on the outside of the bolt head to try to unscrew it, cut off the head and drill it out get new bracket, 6pt air socket very snug fit and drive it on outside of the bolt, blue flame bolt remover. Depending on tools and how much damage you are willing to accept.
i plan on replacing both the calipers and brackets. what do you mean by cutting of the head and drilling it out? drilling out the stud with a drill bit? i have extra bracket bolts to replace this one with so i'm not worried about damaging anything

Alan 55

Sustaining Member
Florida
Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Park Avenue, previously owned 1997 Park Avenue
i plan on replacing both the calipers and brackets. what do you mean by cutting of the head and drilling it out? drilling out the stud with a drill bit? i have extra bracket bolts to replace this one with so i'm not worried about damaging anything
If you decide to drill out the stud with a drill bit, the number 1 issue is to be dead center of the bolt. Take your time to start with a very flat surface by grinding away the existing head of the bolt. Use extra caution in placing a center punch mark dead center of the bolt. Start with a small bit and gradually increase size until you can use a screw extractor. There are probably several YouTube videos on this topic.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Cutting off the head is less material to drill through on the bolt, but not required.

pboling

Buick Ownership
1996 regal gs coupe
If you decide to drill out the stud with a drill bit, the number 1 issue is to be dead center of the bolt. Take your time to start with a very flat surface by grinding away the existing head of the bolt. Use extra caution in placing a center punch mark dead center of the bolt. Start with a small bit and gradually increase size until you can use a screw extractor. There are probably several YouTube videos on this topic.
thank you for the info. when i'm drilling out the bolt how much material should I take off or should it just pop out as I increase the size?

Alan 55

Sustaining Member
Florida
Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Park Avenue, previously owned 1997 Park Avenue
I would start with a 1/8 drill bit and go to 3/16. The goal is to drill to one half of the bolt diameter. For example, 1/2 inch bolt, drill 1/4 maximum then use a properly sized screw extractor. The screw extractor is also known as an easy-out but it is not always easy so I recommend viewing several YouTube videos on this topic. Unfortunately the bolt will not just pop out.

pboling

Buick Ownership
1996 regal gs coupe
I would start with a 1/8 drill bit and go to 3/16. The goal is to drill to one half of the bolt diameter. For example, 1/2 inch bolt, drill 1/4 maximum then use a properly sized screw extractor. The screw extractor is also known as an easy-out but it is not always easy so I recommend viewing several YouTube videos on this topic. Unfortunately the bolt will not just pop out.
ok thank you. will the extractors i have now work or would your recommend i pick up a longer set like these? 9CD917B5-22A3-47A3-AA2F-A41AD6E30904.png

Get your turbo buick badge right here!