Stubby Antenna?

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Anyone try one of those “Stubby Antennas” yet? I’m looking to buy one, not for "the looks" but because I get a slight “Thawak” as we enter & exit the garage. Not overly bad for it just hits the trim molding of the door frame. I’m just thinking it can’t be good for the long run.

I see a few on-line places selling for $12-$20.

Either that or I may just take the original and whack off an inch. :)

Looks to be the same unit as on my Sonic.

http://www.stubbyantenna.com/Buick-Encore-2012-2013_c_218.html

Last edited:

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
Why do suvs generally have a whip style, while cars have the shark fin? Does the suv entenna need to be longer to accommodate an fm signal receiver where on a car it's built into the rear glass?

As far as your question... Why not just cut a small notch out of your garage? Seems like a pretty obvious solution :D

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
No fair answering a question with another question? :confused:

As for the cutting the door / trim – I thought of doing that, but then we don’t always hit the exact same spot every time we enter. Still thinking of cutting the antenna or a Stubby. :)

nortsr

Buick Newbie
Melbourne Beach, Fla.
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore soon
I have had several SUV's with the whip antennas and replaced them with the stubby or shorter type and found NO difference in reception. Hope this helps.:rolleyes:

adrunk

Silicon Valley
Buick Ownership
1-16-1992
I have had several SUV's with the whip antennas and replaced them with the stubby or shorter type and found NO difference in reception. Hope this helps.:rolleyes:

Agreed ... I've had stubbys on 2 different vehicles with no decreased reception.

Of course, now I usually listen to XM.

:headbang:

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
As for the cutting the door / trim – I thought of doing that, but then we don’t always hit the exact same spot every time we enter.

I was joking about cutting the door.

Makes much more sense to have a concrete guy dig down a few inches and re-pour the garage floor :)

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Too funny, figured you were. I do like the concrete thought. :D

OK, so how does the original come off? It seems to only turn
(counterclockwise) 1/4 turn?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!