• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

SubWoofer Purpose

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Can someone explain the purpose of a sub-woofer and is it a necessity? What does it do?
Without getting needlessly technical, the subwoofer is a dedicated speaker that just plays low frequency sound waves. If you ever hear a car thumping a lot of bass, or feel a rumble in the movie theatre, it’s typically because there’s a subwoofer producing the sound.

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
In our cars it does two things - music (as expected) but also active noise cancellation to help quiet the boominess of the wagon's big empty space behind the front seats.

Foxbat

Michiana
Buick Ownership
2018 Quicksilver Regal Sportback Essence AWD
I'm sure it's buried in the Owner's Manual someplace, but is there a place in the DIC Options or Vehicle Settings to adjust the QuietTune?

stevie123

Buick Ownership
Buick
In our cars it does two things - music (as expected) but also active noise cancellation to help quiet the boominess of the wagon's big empty space behind the front seats.
Really? (I haven't gotten very far in reading my user manual... there are simply too many "if equiped" features...

Anyway, I wonder how different my car would 'sound' if I simply unplugged the subwoofer. I'm in the process of locating a spare tire, and while it should fit with the subwoofer, I don't really need it for the music I listen to... so it is extra space.

mambopalace

Buick Ownership
TourX
Really? (I haven't gotten very far in reading my user manual... there are simply too many "if equiped" features...

Anyway, I wonder how different my car would 'sound' if I simply unplugged the subwoofer. I'm in the process of locating a spare tire, and while it should fit with the subwoofer, I don't really need it for the music I listen to... so it is extra space.
The spare fits perfectly with the subwoofer. The back deck panel closes easily with no interference at all. The inside of the spare rim faces downward and the jack fits into the space under the spare.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Yes, the spare must be mounted upside down. Woofer fits. Styrofoam mount does not fit.

Also want to see what happens if I unplug the Woofer. If I don't need it, I will remove it, mount the spare right side up, so I can access it to check and fill air pressure.

The Shark

North Carolina
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence Rioja Red Metallic
Yes, the spare must be mounted upside down. Woofer fits. Styrofoam mount does not fit.

Also want to see what happens if I unplug the Woofer. If I don't need it, I will remove it, mount the spare right side up, so I can access it to check and fill air pressure.
I'm curious, did you ever find out what it's like without the subwoofer? I just bought an Impala spare tire (125/70/17) on eBay and thinking about how I want to mount it.

justiz00

Buick Ownership
Tourx
I had unplugged mine to remove it for a few days, and when I put it back in, I forgot to plug it back in. Went a week until I remembered and honestly didn’t notice the difference with and without it while listening to the radio.

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
When I was installing my newly-acquired spare I had the car's radio playing, and I could definitely tell the difference in bass once I plugged the subwoofer back in. Now that was from me standing behind the car, so maybe it isn't so noticeable from the driver's seat.

As to the tire's air pressure, I had enough room to put the OEM air compressor back in beside/on top of the spare, so I'm not too worried if the spare might drop below usable pressure.

Pedal Commander