• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Suggestion for Buick (and any hackers on this board) regarding user icon

ECM56

Falls Church, Virginia
Buick Ownership
2018.5 (White needle) TourX Essence DC1 DC2 S&S Pano
When you establish "Users" on the Nav/Entertainment system, you can select an icon (logo or avatar) from a selection of ten images in the system.

Available User Images.jpg

I think it would be very cool if there was a way to load our own image (either in addition or in substitution) for the User icon. If GM was really on their game, you would be able to do this from the myBuick app on a smartphone and download it to the car much as you can download a destination to the Nav system. I suspect if we found where it was stored we could figure out the naming, size, and file format and substitute our own. Of course I would never do such a thing as it would probably void the warranty . . .

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
When you establish "Users" on the Nav/Entertainment system, you can select an icon (logo or avatar) from a selection of ten images in the system.

View attachment 17689

I think it would be very cool if there was a way to load our own image (either in addition or in substitution) for the User icon. If GM was really on their game, you would be able to do this from the myBuick app on a smartphone and download it to the car much as you can download a destination to the Nav system. I suspect if we found where it was stored we could figure out the naming, size, and file format and substitute our own. Of course I would never do such a thing as it would probably void the warranty . . .
I was just thinking about this yesterday - I, like probably a lot of people, also use the same beach/umbrella pic that you've got selected.
My 2011 Odyssey allows for a custom wallpaper to be loaded via USB - being the geek I am, I have loaded up the view of Han and Chewbacca looking out of the Millennium Falcon cockpit while jumping to lightspeed. It looks pretty neat.

I have zero hacking skills but it'd be nice to have the customizable feature.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX

View attachment 17689

I always use the umbrella one and draw stick figures....usually naked females, with a dry erase marker.

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
I always use the umbrella one and draw stick figures....usually naked females, with a dry erase marker.
I'm not surprised. But if someone does mod the system (or GM ads the feature), you could do your finest Microsoft Paint stick figure beach-babe drawing for all to see.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I'm not surprised. But if someone does mod the system (or GM ads the feature), you could do your finest Microsoft Paint stick figure beach-babe drawing for all to see.
Sounds better then my lame stick babes.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX

View attachment 17689

Are the later cars with the SD card the only ones that have this configurability? They might be stored on the SD card in that case. If one is brave enough to pull the SD card out and stick in an SD reader, assuming it can be read on Windows, or Linux if not Windows, there could be a directory with the images in it.

ECM56

Falls Church, Virginia
Buick Ownership
2018.5 (White needle) TourX Essence DC1 DC2 S&S Pano
Are the later cars with the SD card the only ones that have this configurability? They might be stored on the SD card in that case. If one is brave enough to pull the SD card out and stick in an SD reader, assuming it can be read on Windows, or Linux if not Windows, there could be a directory with the images in it.
I don't know. Mine has the white needles, was built June 15, 2018, and has the IOT Nav/Entertainment system (Essence with Sights and Sounds).

Good thought about the SD card.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal TourX
Does creating a user profile remove the Messages app? I'm curious to try this functionality but I'm nervous about the fact that the Messages app is no longer downloadable.

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
They might be stored on the SD card in that case. If one is brave enough to pull the SD card out and stick in an SD reader, assuming it can be read on Windows, or Linux if not Windows, there could be a directory with the images in it.
I'll give this a try, as I have a Win10 machine and card reader. I might even have a laptop running a basic Linux distribution if Windows doesn't work.
I'd still assume the files are encrypted, though, so I don't have much hope for luck.

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I could'n even log in, it was saying that wrong VIN is associated with my log in info. But, I have check it and it is correct in myBuick app on my phone with the same log in credential .

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
On some GM model it's Power-Home-Menu buttons at the same time. This will get you into the developer mode which requires a numerical PW, based on year. Linux based from what information is available, on older models Windows CE, it can be loaded through a flash drive on Windows CE, Linux is unknown. As stated before check other GM models forums as this has come up before and the forum hasn't responded with any solution.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
I've seen a few YouTube's on entering 'developer mode' on various Opel/Vauxhall HMI screens--but once you are in that mode, it looks like a potential nightmare to safely get out of that mode--and if you don't complete all the steps correctly, you are looking at a replacement module.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
The owner had a bad unit and was trying to find a fix which was a new unit had to be installed by the dealer under warranty, not related to the development mode option.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
But there was something in the thread about pressing Power..Home and Back together. Again I don't think it did much but did give you alternate menus.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Once you got into the developer mode you will need a numerical password to get into any additional programming screens, his seemed to have gotten to that point somewhat but had a bunch of programming issues from the factory.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
On some GM model it's Power-Home-Menu buttons at the same time. This will get you into the developer mode which requires a numerical PW, based on year. Linux based from what information is available, on older models Windows CE, it can be loaded through a flash drive on Windows CE, Linux is unknown. As stated before check other GM models forums as this has come up before and the forum hasn't responded with any solution.
We should go fishing.... because someone may be opening a can of worms...
PS Disregard my previous fishing comment. You guys sound like you know enough to figure it out.

Last edited:

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
Well, I can at least confirm that it's not on the SD card.
I popped out mine and threw it in my Chromebook - the file structure and files are all accessible, but it only appears to be the TeleNav map data on the card. I don't see anything related to the users, avatars, icons, or any picture files on it.

Pedal Commander