Suggestions for remote fob?

fng

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
I've just about had it with the poor design of the remote fob: the button that honks the horn and flashes the lights isn't really recessed. If I carry the fob in my pocket around the house, I inevitably wind up setting off the car horn when I bend over to tie my shoes, bump against something, etc. I've had this functionality on Honda and VW products for over 15 years without encountering this problem, because their designers were intelligent enough to recess that button in the fob; apparently this concept is beyond the grasp of the geniuses at GM. I triggered the car horn with the fob in my pocket more times in the first week of ownership than I did in years of Honda and VW ownership. Fortunately, it has almost always been the "3 beeps" as opposed to the continuous "panic button" activation.

Does anyone have any suggestions to remedy this problem. I'm thinking of using superglue to disable this button, but wondered if anyone else has done something more creative. I understand that I might need that "panic button" someday, but I've got to do something.

Anyone have any suggestions/comments?

IL
Buick Ownership
none
Is this it? That's a very large and prominent panic button. No wonder you've been setting it off!

What is the button that looks like a reverse "return" symbol? And where is the trunk button?

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
Is this it? That's a very large and prominent panic button. No wonder you've been setting it off!

What is the button that looks like a reverse "return" symbol? And where is the trunk button?
The button at the top right is for the remote start. There is no trunk button unless yours comes equipped with the automatic lift gate (I think). I don't have that option, so I just have to press the button on the trunk itself.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I'm thinking we can take apart the fob and put some electrical tape over some contacts? I have the same problem, I usually trigger it while I'm entering the car. I'm not sure why GM doesn't give us a software option to disable it.

You might want to try one of those key fob covers that are raised slightly which might give enough of a recess to the button.

There are so many different ones, they might actually help in that regard.

fng

Buick Ownership
Can anyone supply a link to a cover that fits the '18 Regal fob? I've searched a few sites and come up empty.

fng

Buick Ownership
Searching that site is useless. However, a brute force approach found this one on the fifth page from the link above.

Car Key Case Cover For Opel Vectra C Corsa D Meriva Vivaro Insignia Signum Mokka Zafira Antara Carbon Fiber Pattern Key Cover-in Key Case for Car from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

This looks like it should work. If you scroll down the page, they show 3 different remotes it fits. One looks like the remote for the Sportback, except it has Hatch Release where the Sportback has Remote Start. There's also a view of the cover on a remote showing the cutout in the back for the emergency manual key release.

I'm going to order one. I'll post my opinion after I use it for a while if it fits, or immediately if it doesn't.

Last edited:
Buick Ownership
I agree that is one poor Design..I just keep it in my top Shirt/Jacket pocket .
That will likely work through the cooler months. I bought the car in mid-July and was wearing T-shirts (typically with no pocket, certainly with no flap over the pocket to hold the remote in when I bent over) and no jacket. I've carried in my jacket pocket a few times.

If the cover I've ordered doesn't address the problem, I may try carrying it on a lanyard around my neck.

That will likely work through the cooler months. I bought the car in mid-July and was wearing T-shirts (typically with no pocket, certainly with no flap over the pocket to hold the remote in when I bent over) and no jacket. I've carried in my jacket pocket a few times.

If the cover I've ordered doesn't address the problem, I may try carrying it on a lanyard around my neck.
I think something like this is also a viable option since it's pretty rare that you will actually have to use the key buttons nowadays.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B075K53FJQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_aKP5BbAGT5P2V

Attachments

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.