Sunroof/Sun Shade problems?

tennistim777

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello, everyone. I own a 2011 Lacrosse. The sunroof began acting up today. When I go to close it, it tilts/pops back open again. Each time you go to close it, it tilts/pops back open again.

Also, sunroof/sun shade will not fully close any more. It will only close half way.

Yes, I will be taking it back to the dealer for service, just wondering if anyone had a similar problem and what they found? Thanks.

jawada

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Believe it or not when I went in last month to purchase my 2011 CXS the sunroof wouldn’t function correctly. It would only open when you touch the button in intervals and the sunshade would only close halfway. Before I signed for the car the sales rep took it to service and I went with her. They had it fixed in a matter of minutes. All they did was reprogram it. It didnt happen anymore after that.

Godzson

Aurora, IL
Buick Ownership
Buick
Was your car completely on or was just the aux power on? Sunroof only closed half way for me today, i assumed it was because i had already cut the car off. Works fine in "run"

tennistim777

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
That is a new one. Hope you don't live in a wet or cold climate. Post the reason please. I'd like to hear what happened in this interesting one.
Thank you. I took it in to the dealership. They "reprogrammed" the sunroof and said the sunshade needed a new motor. That part doesn't even have a release date yet. I will keep you all posted. Thanks again.

Godzson

Aurora, IL
Buick Ownership
Buick
i swear you jinxed me!! i got in the car and i had the sunroof tilted, i was on the interstate and it got kinda loud so i went to close it and it would close and pop back up, did it like 3 times. A couple minutes later it went down no problem. I never had this issue before until i read this thread lol

tennistim777

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
i swear you jinxed me!! i got in the car and i had the sunroof tilted, i was on the interstate and it got kinda loud so i went to close it and it would close and pop back up, did it like 3 times. A couple minutes later it went down no problem. I never had this issue before until i read this thread lol
LOL! Sorry for your bad luck. Sounds like someone is in need for a "reprogram"? Let us know how that works out. It only took about 5 minutes. I don't want to jinx myself, but so far so good with mine. I will keep everyone posted. Take care.

efxonly1

Buick Ownership
Buick
I had a similar problem where the sunroof would no longer open and the sunshade would only close half way. Turns out that my dealer had experience with fixing the problem, so it took a few minutes for him to do. He said if you press the buttons too many times in a certain sequence, the sunroof/sunshade switches from an automatic mode to a manual mode (his words not mine). I asked him how was I supposed to know the sequence so that I did not do the same thing again, but he had no answer for that.

taverg03

Buick Ownership
Buick
One post, lurking for four months and you've got something to share via email?

If you've got some info. to share... share it here. That's what a forum is about.

John[/QUOTE

Agree!

Driving home today but not far from dealer, I experienced some problems with the overhead screen and the sunroof. First, the screen went back halfway. Then after repeated attempts, it retracted fully. On engaging the sunroof button, it only partially tilted up and wouldn't respond beyond this even after shutting off ignition and restarting a couple of times.

I took it to my dealer and it was determined after about 20 minutes, it was a (known) software issue. Warranty invoice shows: 0.4 hrs, software, performed motor initialization as per doc #2236268. So far, so good! Hope this helps someone else.

One other "electrical" gremlin in past month. I was listening to radio in either accessory or radio only mode. Upon starting car, all radio stations stored on favorites pages was lost. Only a one time event. My battery is still got plenty of strength, I believe as it shows 14-14.6 volts on the DIC, just a bit the 15-15.3 when new.

2011 CXS, ~6250 miles.

Toronto, ON
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2015 Infiniti Q50 AWD Sport Hybrid
Driving home today but not far from dealer, I experienced some problems with the overhead screen and the sunroof. First, the screen went back halfway. Then after repeated attempts, it retracted fully. On engaging the sunroof button, it only partially tilted up and wouldn't respond beyond this even after shutting off ignition and restarting a couple of times.

I took it to my dealer and it was determined after about 20 minutes, it was a (known) software issue. Warranty invoice shows: 0.4 hrs, software, performed motor initialization as per doc #2236268. So far, so good! Hope this helps someone else.
Had that happen once as well. I was driving on the highway when it did so I can't recall the steps I took to make it work again. I think I went full-open, then full close and it reset itself. Something reasonably simple. Hasn't happened again.

spartan0199

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Sorry guys I thought it would be faster to just email me, I haven't been on the board since my last post. I'm not an owner, my interest is only the sunroof.

There are multiple issues that could come up with the sunroof that I might be able to help with so let me know the details of what you are experiencing.

It seems the most common issue in warranty is the roller blind only wanting to close half way. In this case you need to reset the GLASS motor.

Steps are:
With the glass panel in the closed position, hold the glass button in the close direction only to the first detent (first dent is about half way, if you press the button all the way in it won't work). Hold the button at the first detent for 15 seconds, the glass motor should reset.

Now try to close the blind with that button and it should work normally.

zamman

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick
From GM Techlink:

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/atom.xml

Sunroof Sunshade Relearn

‎
When attempting to close the sunroof sunshade on the 2010-2011 LaCrosse, if it closes approximately half way and then stops, it may need to be reprogrammed.

Using GDS 2, select Module Diagnostics > Body Control Module > Data Display. From the Select Data List Menu at the top of the page, select Sunroof Data from the drop down menu. Review Sunroof Position from the data list, which will indicate the actual position of the sunroof.

If the Sunroof Position from the data list does not indicate the correct position, perform the Sunroof Motor/Actuator Initialization/Teach Process (Existing Motor) following Service Information Document ID: 2236268.

Once the relearn has been completed, the sunroof sunshade should close properly.

InfiniteImp

Toronto, ON
Buick Ownership
Sorry guys I thought it would be faster to just email me, I haven't been on the board since my last post. I'm not an owner, my interest is only the sunroof.

There are multiple issues that could come up with the sunroof that I might be able to help with so let me know the details of what you are experiencing.

It seems the most common issue in warranty is the roller blind only wanting to close half way. In this case you need to reset the GLASS motor.

Steps are:
With the glass panel in the closed position, hold the glass button in the close direction only to the first detent (first dent is about half way, if you press the button all the way in it won't work). Hold the button at the first detent for 15 seconds, the glass motor should reset.

Now try to close the blind with that button and it should work normally.
Thanks for that. My issue was with the sun shade not fully closing (it closed to within about 1/2" of fully closed, leaving just a small gap - not a big deal but if I can have it fully closed, I'd prefer that). So I decided to try your method with the sunshade button after performing your steps above using the sunroof button.

Turns out that the sunshade button also has a learn node.. I'm not exactly sure how it's supposed to work because holding it at the first detent for 15 seconds seems to take it into a manual mode where you can set its closed position and then have to back it off in small increments to set the fully open position. I was messing with it while driving so I didn't note the steps taken. Eventually I got it to return to normal operation mode though and I believe my sunshade now closes just a little more than before, so thanks!

InfiniteImp

Toronto, ON
Buick Ownership
From GM Techlink:

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/atom.xml

Sunroof Sunshade Relearn

‎
When attempting to close the sunroof sunshade on the 2010-2011 LaCrosse, if it closes approximately half way and then stops, it may need to be reprogrammed.

Using GDS 2, select Module Diagnostics > Body Control Module > Data Display. From the Select Data List Menu at the top of the page, select Sunroof Data from the drop down menu. Review Sunroof Position from the data list, which will indicate the actual position of the sunroof.

If the Sunroof Position from the data list does not indicate the correct position, perform the Sunroof Motor/Actuator Initialization/Teach Process (Existing Motor) following Service Information Document ID: 2236268.

Once the relearn has been completed, the sunroof sunshade should close properly..
I presume the steps above can only be taken with GM's GDS2 hardware module, and not something we on this forum can do?

spartan0199

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks for that. My issue was with the sun shade not fully closing (it closed to within about 1/2" of fully closed, leaving just a small gap - not a big deal but if I can have it fully closed, I'd prefer that). So I decided to try your method with the sunshade button after performing your steps above using the sunroof button.

Turns out that the sunshade button also has a learn node.. I'm not exactly sure how it's supposed to work because holding it at the first detent for 15 seconds seems to take it into a manual mode where you can set its closed position and then have to back it off in small increments to set the fully open position. I was messing with it while driving so I didn't note the steps taken. Eventually I got it to return to normal operation mode though and I believe my sunshade now closes just a little more than before, so thanks!
Yes, you can try to initialize the shade motor using that switch in the same way. However there is somewhat of a gap between the headliner and sunroof that in most cases cannot be completely eliminated.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.