• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Sunshade fell apart

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
So I've seen this issue around the forums before but can't remember any outcomes.
The sunshade (the motorized shade that goes over the panoramic sunroof) just came apart today. The fabric came free from the track and then the remaining bunched up around the exit point at the back of the vehicle. So now I have just a bunch of fabric hanging off my roof hole.
Anyone want to weigh in on this and let me know their experience with repair?

Thanks!

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I just went through this after my accident and it took a whopping 6 months for the repairs to be complete, I really don't want to go through this again.

floydwaters

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Yeah I'm not looking forward to it. But the shade basically tore itself free and then crumpled up when I tried to put it back. Sounded like the rods that hold it taut got hung up or something. On a positive note they are fixing that and my driveshaft issue at the same time so one less visit. Also and I didn't really think about this; according to the tech it's a good thing I have a wagon. When they take the headliner out they just pull it out via the hatch. On sedans they have to take out the rear window to get the headliner out....that doesn't sound like fun. Really hoping these are first model year flukes but I'm just around 20k; not feeling happy about the issues but still love the car.

landsharkmz3

Wow, after reading these posts, now I'm thinking that my car not having the panoramic roof is a good thing.
I intentionally got a tourx with every option except a pano roof. Extra cost, weight, leak points, shade issues, potential motor/electrical issues... all for something I would use extremely rarely.

Good luck to you guys getting the issues resolved!

.saint

This just happened to me on my way home this morning. I pushed the button to close the shade and I heard a bunch of horrible sounds and the piece that holds the shade on ended up coming forward without the shade attached. Something bound up and it tore the shade from the closing mech and now it's all twisted and partly hanging down in the backseat. Guess it's time to make my first warranty claim on the car since I owning it for a little over a year. Have about 12k miles on it.

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Might be obvious at this point but still:
Don't ever touch it! My daughter literally poked mine with her finger and the next time I hit the button it came off it's track and bunched up and caused this giant headache.

Last edited:
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Guess it's time to make my first warranty claim on the car since I owning it for a little over a year. Have about 12k miles on it.

So, I did a bit of research and found an expert on this style of sunshades in my area. According to him, the problem is typically the adhesive. Our cars, being German, use an adhesive on these shades that will *typically* come loose in warmer climates much earlier than they should. Mine fell apart about the same mileage as yours. Unfortunately, the repair is to replace the entire shade mechanism, it all comes as one unit so there is no re-adhering it to the track. My hope was that I’d be able to repair it with a better-than-stock adhesive but that isn’t generally an option.
So if anyone lives in a warmer climate like I do, it is just part of owning a car with a linen sunshade like this that you replace the shade every 4 to 7 years. The price I was quoted in the aftermarket was $1500 to drop the headliner, replace the mechanism, and clean out the sun roof rails. I’m going with the dealer warranty repair obviously… But I figured this would be good info to have on the forums.

If anyone has any other experience or shops that have given different info or quotes, post it up here so we can have as accurate of information as possible.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Where is the "warmer climate"?
We got a few weeks of over 90s here in the snow belt this summer.

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Where is the "warmer climate"?
We got a few weeks of over 90s here in the snow belt this summer.
Probably in the *typically* I mentioned. I can see how it could’ve been missed, I only bolded, italicized, and put asterisks around it. :ROFLMAO:

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Probably in the *typically* I mentioned. I can see how it could’ve been missed, I only bolded, italicized, and put asterisks around it. :ROFLMAO:
I am more curious about where is considered as typically warmer climate.
(Not to mention the fact that it has gotten warmer every year here...)

Anaduff

Associate Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS
Looks like you have to keep it in cold storage from May through September in the Northern half of the US or else get a summer cabin in the Northwest Territories of Canada...

Attachments

• BerlinTemps.jpg
    BerlinTemps.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 16

supernoma

SW Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
My TourX has been in the shop for sunshade replacement for the past few days. This morning the tech had the replacement sunshade installed and it tore during testing. He now has a frame and a second shade on order.

My car is an 2018.5 with about 20.5k miles on it.

floydwaters

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Took mine in along with another item at 20k. First one they got in was broke again after installation, second one that came in was broken in the box and finally after waiting for three months, they finally got the new one in and it's working again. Downside is getting parts for these cars.....not sure what the sunshade deal is but something wasn't happy when it tore itself up.

.saint

I got mine fixed under warranty but it took about 2+ weeks for the parts to arrive. They arrived in opel boxes so I'm guessing because of this c19 crap it was stuck in customs for awhile being sprayed down with lysol or something. Fix went flawless and had it back in a half day.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners