Supercharger pulley replacement?

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Anybody know what headaches I am looking at in replacing the 12 dollar grooved super charger pulley doughnut device on a 1993 PA. Are the threads reversed? Do I need a special tool? Now I read one can buy a smaller belt and just by pass the SC all together? LOL Thanks!

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Watch this
That helps. I bought a grooved pulley on Amazon for 12 bucks thinking remove one bolt no problem. LOL They sell the puller for $120. Can one use a $20 pulley puller from Harbor Freight Tools? My 93 Buick PA has been a solid car over the years but my advice to anyone thinking of buying a used GM Buick 3800 whatever avoid the super charger version period. Is the extra power worth the headaches when repair is needed? Water pump without SC is a breeze with it is a pain! My SC has no screw to pump out the old SC oil but the laters years did. At least I have never seen it. Bad couplers expensive oil. I would never buy a SC GM 3800 again. LOL

Last edited:

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Watch this
Good video! They want $120 for that puller or one can rent it for $60. Harbor Freight Tools and Advance Auto sell 3 prong pulleys for $20. Anybody used those? Driving the car yesterday in warmer weather there was no squealing. LOL. When it was squealing I sprayed WD 40 onto the nut side of the SC pulley being careful not to get WD 40 on the belt or the grooves of the pulley and the squeak stopped which makes me think the bearings are bad? 28 year old car 175000 miles many issues but the damn thing keeps going! If I was to buy a used Buick I would avoid the SC models. You have to use more expensive gas and these SC issues pop up. My 2000 Buick Century has 185 HP no SC and it works fine.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
your century is the picture aid next to "car' in the dictionary

my park avenue looks like a grandma car, but then its fast and really comes off as a sleeper

and its slaying puss left and right

got a back seat meat for a fun night

what does your car have

idk cause no one asked

bitch ive got HUD like a jet pilot pew pew

*Park Avenue* exudes luxury, class, winning

HotZ28

SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
Good video! They want $120 for that puller or one can rent it for $60. Harbor Freight Tools and Advance Auto sell 3 prong pulleys for $20. Anybody used those? Driving the car yesterday in warmer weather there was no squealing. LOL.
DO NOT attempt to use a 3-prong puller to remove the S/C snout pulley, it will destroy the pulley. Even if you are successful with that procedure, then how do you install a new one? The S/C pulley is a tapered press fit and must be installed with the proper tool to the exact same position to aling with the all the crank drive, tensioner & idler pulleys. If alignment is not perfect, you will have belt squeak & premature wear of the belt!

Last edited:

HotZ28

SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
When it was squealing I sprayed WD 40 onto the nut side of the SC pulley being careful not to get WD 40 on the belt or the grooves of the pulley and the squeak stopped which makes me think the bearings are bad?
There is not a NUT in the center holding the S/C pulley on the shaft. What you see is simply a vent for the S/C snout! I have rebuild many M62 & M90's and know all the parts & procedures. If you have any further questions, please ask.

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
There is not a NUT in the center holding the S/C pulley on the shaft. What you see is simply a vent for the S/C snout! I have rebuild many M62 & M90's and know all the parts & procedures. If you have any further questions, please ask.
Thanks! I was told by a mechanic the squeal was coming from the SC pulley but I have my doubts. I took the belt off the DC pulley and it spins not very freely but is not loose or dirty and no wiggle. The belt is sliding a little back and forth on the water pump pulley. Maybe the belt is bad or the idler pulley?

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Thanks! I was told by a mechanic the squeal was coming from the SC pulley but I have my doubts. I took the belt off the DC pulley and it spins not very freely but is not loose or dirty and no wiggle. The belt is sliding a little back and forth on the water pump pulley. Maybe the belt is bad or the idler pulley?
Do you mean it goes side to side off the "track" of the pulley? If so it means it or another pulley are moving enough and it's pulling the belt with if. Most likely a grooved pulley since water pump is a smoothtake your darn belta off and go to each and every pulley with your hand and check it for play. Every pulley even crank.it shouldn't move much if at all period. Then spin each. It should be 1quiet and resist turning slightly but be consisten

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Do you mean it goes side to side off the "track" of the pulley? If so it means it or another pulley are moving enough and it's pulling the belt with if. Most likely a grooved pulley since water pump is a smoothtake your darn belta off and go to each and every pulley with your hand and check it for play. Every pulley even crank.it shouldn't move much if at all period. Then spin each. It should be 1quiet and resist turning slightly but be consisten
As the belt turns it slides just a little from side to side on the pulley over the water pump. Spraying just a quick shot on the belt grooves quiets it and sometimes the squeal is there and other times it is not. I will do as you suggest. Remove the belt and spin everything. Of course the belt tensioner is behind the alternator or power steering pump. I would never buy a gasoline vehicle with a SC Turbo or hybrid again. Too many issues and hassles. Thanks!

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Like I said I checked the grooved SC pulley and it was firm and tight. It did not spin a lot freely but I think that is normal if connected to a rod or something in the SC?

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Like I said I checked the grooved SC pulley and it was firm and tight. It did not spin a lot freely but I think that is normal if connected to a rod or something in the SC?
its connected to a turbine that shoves air so yes it has some drag not like impossible but yes. Again, You only checked the one pulley. SC is not connected to the water pump. Pull off BOTH your belts, just take the tension off, and CHECK each pulley. theres like 9 or something. You have a lot of pulleys and any one of them can be causing issues so you need to know the origin of the issue. YOu cant just take end-result symptoms and just know the answer without any diagnostics.

Youve been spraying your belt with a petroleum distillate based product and most likely have impregnated the belt with solvents and stuff that now make your belt not behave as intended. Honestly, in my opinion, your belt is shot now. WD40 has no place on a rubber belt or its pulleys. They arent lubricated for a reason. You could have belt wander because of an extreme cause of it slipping offf grooves somewhere because its oily and the belt is partially breaking down.

and there is nothign wrong with a supercharged engine or car especially in the case of buicks. you get a lot of extra horse power, some top end MPG efficiency, a metal intake(On series 2), and something still just as dead reliable as the NA version. You just have to know that extra pullleys and extra belt means you have extra bearings and extra tensioner. if you really dont like your supercharger, take your belt off and it wont be a problem for you anymore and enjoy cutting edge gutless driving LOL

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
your century is the picture aid next to "car' in the dictionary

my park avenue looks like a grandma car, but then its fast and really comes off as a sleeper

and its slaying puss left and right

got a back seat meat for a fun night

what does your car have

idk cause no one asked

bitch ive got HUD like a jet pilot pew pew

*Park Avenue* exudes luxury, class, winning
My 2000 Century Limited has leather seats. Power seats. CD player 4 speakers. Radio controls in the steering wheel. Dual climate control. 3.1 185 HP. Nice clear coat finish. Engine block heater. The only thing a similar Regal might have is a 240 HP supercharger GS which costs more for premium gas and lots of repair headaches when the SC goes out or you have to remove?SC junk to fix other stuff hiding behind SC junk. Yes my 93 PA SC is bigger heavier and a floater ride. Yes more luxurious.

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
its connected to a turbine that shoves air so yes it has some drag not like impossible but yes. Again, You only checked the one pulley. SC is not connected to the water pump. Pull off BOTH your belts, just take the tension off, and CHECK each pulley. theres like 9 or something. You have a lot of pulleys and any one of them can be causing issues so you need to know the origin of the issue. YOu cant just take end-result symptoms and just know the answer without any diagnostics.

Youve been spraying your belt with a petroleum distillate based product and most likely have impregnated the belt with solvents and stuff that now make your belt not behave as intended. Honestly, in my opinion, your belt is shot now. WD40 has no place on a rubber belt or its pulleys. They arent lubricated for a reason. You could have belt wander because of an extreme cause of it slipping offf grooves somewhere because its oily and the belt is partially breaking down.

and there is nothign wrong with a supercharged engine or car especially in the case of buicks. you get a lot of extra horse power, some top end MPG efficiency, a metal intake(On series 2), and something still just as dead reliable as the NA version. You just have to know that extra pullleys and extra belt means you have extra bearings and extra tensioner. if you really dont like your supercharger, take your belt off and it wont be a problem for you anymore and enjoy cutting edge gutless driving LOL
OK what belt does one use to bypass the SC? Very little WD 40 was sprayed onto the belt. Just a quick squirt. But the belt could be bad although not very old. BTW if anyone needs or wants 0 to 60 mph in 2.5 seconds I hear the Tesla's offer that! I am content with my 185 HP Century.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
OK what belt does one use to bypass the SC? Very little WD 40 was sprayed onto the belt. Just a quick squirt. But the belt could be bad although not very old. BTW if anyone needs or wants 0 to 60 mph in 2.5 seconds I hear the Tesla's offer that! I am content with my 185 HP Century.
the supercharger is bypassed by not putting the belt on the supercharger LOL. you just use the belt for the other accessories. unless the m60 eaton you have doesnt have 2 belts?

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
My 2000 Century Limited has leather seats. Power seats. CD player 4 speakers. Radio controls in the steering wheel. Dual climate control. 3.1 185 HP. Nice clear coat finish. Engine block heater. The only thing a similar Regal might have is a 240 HP supercharger GS which costs more for premium gas and lots of repair headaches when the SC goes out or you have to remove?SC junk to fix other stuff hiding behind SC junk. Yes my 93 PA SC is bigger heavier and a floater ride. Yes more luxurious.
supercharger blocks nothing more than the plastic intake on the 96 and newer engines where the alt and powersteering are pushed behind on the back/lower engine
yes more parts, but generally speaking as far as cost-reliability you are paying more for more hp and top end mpg and fun for the trade off of gas and more parts(not that many more) to repair and slight service inconvenience(once they added the oil fill port.. not yours i dont think).

Its a trade off worth a lot to someone like me and is a no brainer because top end mpg is perfect for my 70+ mph cruising and long distance primary driving
and then the fun aspect. fun.

ive gotten used to the premium heartbreak it doesnt phase anymore

Get your turbo buick badge right here!