Suspension/Brake Upgrades

CaptainCranium

Buick Ownership
1993 Roadmaster Sedan
Hello all, first time poster frequent lurker. I have a 93 RM Limited, and am going to be adding some 20" wire wheels to my baby. When doing some reading about adding larger wheels to a vehicle, it was brought to my attention that the addition of unsprung weight will considerably effect your braking ability or stopping time/distance. Aside from doing new pads and rotors all around, are there any other parts of the steering and suspension I should consider beefing up? Tie rod ends, control arms, CV boot, sway bar? I work in a parts department and get a steep discount, so it won't be nearly as costly as it would for someone paying list price for their parts and full rate labor. Thanks for any advice!

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
Hello all, first time poster frequent lurker. I have a 93 RM Limited, and am going to be adding some 20" wire wheels to my baby. When doing some reading about adding larger wheels to a vehicle, it was brought to my attention that the addition of unsprung weight will considerably effect your braking ability or stopping time/distance. Aside from doing new pads and rotors all around, are there any other parts of the steering and suspension I should consider beefing up? Tie rod ends, control arms, CV boot, sway bar? I work in a parts department and get a steep discount, so it won't be nearly as costly as it would for someone paying list price for their parts and full rate labor. Thanks for any advice!
say goodbye to your ride quality and the general good looking appearance of your car.how big are your wheels and tire compared to the original? if its not too much larger you may actually have less weight, alloy wheels of good construction are lighter than... steel wheels? of smaller most likely

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800
going to be adding some 20" wire wheels to my baby
:rolleyes: Must be also about 20. Even when I was 20 and saw a shitty old Honda Prelude with wheels worth more than the car it had to be about the most stupid thing I'd ever seen.

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
If doing the upgrade, considering age and unknown mileage, inspect any rubber components and suspension parts. If you have a parts catalog that can show additional details looking for parts that may be used on limo or service vehicles will be something to review if looking to stiffen or firm up the suspension.

These changes will alter the ride depending on what is used vs stock parts along with wheel and tires, but it's your vehicle so set it up for you just do it based on being informed on parts selection. Happy motoring!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
As they say size matters so on your Roadmaster it can suck up a 20 without much effort where on a smaller vehicle it would seem out place. To each their own.

3641790003_large.jpg

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
As they say size matters so on your Roadmaster it can suck up a 20 without much effort where on a smaller vehicle it would seem out place. To each their own.

View attachment 29858
Most people doing 20s aren’t doing that. I still think functionally it’s dumb because you have worse ride and handling(unless OE steel) and EXPENSIVE tires. The looks are sometimes not always better. Where’s the win?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Not my car and can't tell others they are wrong if they want to do it. I've seen lots of silly and as long as it's not on my vehicle and doesn't create a dangerous condition for others well who am I to say.

I will laugh and ask WTF were you thinking, did Ray Charles pick those colors, oh boy half day sale in automotive at Walmart, apparently they lifted the Covid-19 ban at the flea market, LOL railroad tracks this will be good.

But I wouldn't tell them directly, let them be happy with their vehicle no matter how wrong it may seem to others. And if they spend money on a bad choice of modifications hopefully it is a life learning experience.

PS I love slammed cars going over raised manhole covers as long as I'm in the other lane as part come out the back.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800
Tire shops also always ask me the size of my wheels when I'm looking for a quote, indicating they probably charge more for larger wheels which are more difficult to deal with.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
One more item, 2021 Audi A7 comes with a set of 20-inch wheels with all-season tires and are now standard on the base model, so 20-inch are a little more common on vehicles.

2021-Audi-A7-Review-Price-Specs-Interior-Exterior-Release-Date.jpg

Get your turbo buick badge right here!