• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Swapping factory speakers + custom sub box

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
So, I finally picked up my car(financed through my Bank, waiting for check to get to the dealership) and I got the chance to play my own music, and let's just say the stock(non Bose) sound system is 'lacking'. This is coming from a 4 channel Infinity + 10" sub, so I wasn't expecting it to match that, but I will 'need' to upgrade. I am planning on swapping my old car's speakers in(same size), and wondering if anyone has done the same. If you have done a speaker upgrade, did you do this without an amp, and if so, was it worth it(I will amplify the speakers if necessary)? I was also looking into making custom sub boxes for the space behind the wheel well as that could allow for a couple of 8" subs without interfering with trunk space/spare tire access.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
You will need an amp if you plan to add 2 subs, plus you will get better sound from the replacement speakers.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I am planning on swapping my old car's speakers in(same size),
If the previous amp driving those speakers was a workhorse, our Regal system my not drive them properly and ultimately lead to disappointing you.

You'll want to make sure the two are properly matched because a speaker which is under-powered sounds like poop!

Anyone know what the RMS watts are for our Regal(s)?

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
You will need an amp if you plan to add 2 subs, plus you will get better sound from the replacement speakers.
I'm aware of needing an amp for the subs(I've installed a few systems), I wanted to avoid running speaker wires into the door.

You'll want to make sure the two are properly matched because a speaker which is under-powered sounds like poop!
After thinking this through more, I am going to swap one speaker and see how it sounds and decide if it needs an amplifier.

I found a site that has some of the interior pieces(quite a few don't offer these), I was hoping to find schematics for the door pieces for removal(there's always a hidden bolt or two).
EDIT: Found interior pieces, but doesn't help much with disassembly.
@FavaBean - I also came across the OEM speakers and then found a listing with pictures of the speakers(20W 4Ω)

Last edited:

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
You can use the stock speaker wiring, just tap into it to avoid running new wires. As FavaBean said your replacement speakers won't sound good if the factory amp doesn't have enough power to drive them properly. Below is a link to a free Chilton's manual but I don't know if the new Regal is supported by it.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Chilton manual doesn't cover 2018+, you could get the dealer parts department to get you a exploded view of the door as a option in case a hidden screw or connect is behind the panel.

No need to tap the speaker line as you can go with a adaptor, plug and play, in case it's not going to work out, but they have to be a improvement over OEM.
Metra 72-4568 Speaker Wiring Harness

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
Thanks for the links.

@2007LucerneCXL - Boosted was referring to tapping into the speaker wire coming off the head unit to avoid running wires through the firewall/door panel. I will use an adapter though, as I think it's worth the cost to easily revert things back to stock. The one you linked doesn't fit this car though(my car was saved in Crutchfield's site).

I also found a part for an amplifier for this car, so hopefully that has some molex type connectors that can either by bypassed(unlikely with multiple inputs), or I could use the speaker output to feed the amps and wire into the factory wiring there. Now I just need to figure out where it is(I'm assuming under the center console).:unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Wasn't sure on that adaptor, more concept, but I have used on all my replacements which if they need to come out it's nice and easy. There's a company out of Germany that makes harness interfaces for Opel that are ISO connections, I can't recall the name but I put in another post. Basically it's a plug and play with amp and keeps the OEM harness intact. They have a US distributer, AZ, but after I posted it kind deleted info. Good luck on getting it set up.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
On my car and my son's 2015 Impala the glovebox can be removed and that gives access to the back of the audio unit, so I would imagine the glovebox in the new Regal can also be removed. I had to remove my glovebox to replace the cabin air filter so thats how I know it comes out.

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
I can't recall the name but I put in another post.
I found the post/thread, I will look into that.
On my car and my son's 2015 Impala the glovebox can be removed and that gives access to the back of the audio unit, so I would imagine the glovebox in the new Regal can also be removed. I had to remove my glovebox to replace the cabin air filter so thats how I know it comes out.
That's a good place to look first, thanks. Oddly enough, there is another thread where someone did remove their glovebox.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
So, I finally picked up my car(financed through my Bank, waiting for check to get to the dealership) and I got the chance to play my own music, and let's just say the stock(non Bose) sound system is 'lacking'.
I'm right there with you my wife is giving me a hard time asking why I want to replace the stuff in my brand new car but I'm like I can barely even hear it at max volume with all the windows down. It's just unacceptable imo....

Anyways I happened to swap out a speaker a few days ago so I can upload a picture tomorrow and point you to where all the bolts are there's 5 of them to be removed.... I was in the same train of thought as you and just direct swapping better speakers but unfortunately if anything it made it worse so you'll definitely need to amplify everything

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
@Irock1985 - Thank you, that information is greatly appreciated. :hail:

I am in the process of tracking down the wiring harness to piggyback into the stock wiring for an amplifier(I want to get a visual on the head unit connectors to compare). I found that googling "2018 opel insignia b stereo wiring harness" gets much better results.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
@Irock1985 - Thank you,
Im in the process of tracking down the wiring harness to piggyback into the stock wiring for an amplifier
I was doing the same but.... it seemed like at least I was going to spend around $175 for a harness when I could pay 200 to have Best buy install whatever I want with their geek squad annual Total Tech Support. So I'm actually just going that route and let it be someone else's headache

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
After more digging, and looking through your "Is this the right plug" thread, I came across an Axxess AX-DSP harness with a feature list including:
  • Provides (4) Channel Speaker leads to utilize factory speaker wires with an aftermarket amplifier
This doesn't show direct support for our car, so I need to cross reference that, but it looks like exactly what I'm looking for. The link I provided is the only one that shows the entire harness with the speaker wires split out, this is available at Best Buy.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
After more digging, and looking through your "Is this the right plug" thread, I came across an Axxess AX-DSP harness with a feature list including:
  • Provides (4) Channel Speaker leads to utilize factory speaker wires with an aftermarket amplifier
This doesn't show direct support for our car, so I need to cross reference that, but it looks like exactly what I'm looking for. The link I provided is the only one that shows the entire harness with the speaker wires split out, this is available at Best Buy.

View attachment 16100
Yeah that looks promising and the price is right

If you'd helps anything this is the driver front speaker.. brown with black and blue

Last edited:

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
Wasn't sure on that adaptor, more concept, but I have used on all my replacements which if they need to come out it's nice and easy. There's a company out of Germany that makes harness interfaces for Opel that are ISO connections, I can't recall the name but I put in another post. Basically it's a plug and play with amp and keeps the OEM harness intact. They have a US distributer, AZ, but after I posted it kind deleted info. Good luck on getting it set up.
The parent company is Audiotec-Fischer. The company within that is MATCH that does the ISO connectors. I got an email back from the US distributor. The Opel harness will not work in my case due to having the Bose system. The Opel Insigna harness is meant for a base model. Based on some of the language, I'm not completely sure the information got relayed correctly from Germany to the US. Attempting to open a conversation.

Pedal Commander