Swapping factory speakers + custom sub box

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
Yeah I've seen that before... I was sure it would be a hassle getting one stateside so I gave up on that.
I'm familiar with the the JL Stealthboxes, but those are too pricey, it would be nice if they sold just the box, but they don't have one that fits our cars anyway(don't think they ever will).
I have access to a CNC router, so I was planning on a similar design to the one I linked(MDF/layered), but first I need to get audio out of the factory system.:p

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
Has anyone checked out the JBL BassPro Hub? I stumbled across it the other day. It fits inside the spare tire and takes up no cargo space. Looks like a great solution.
It's described as a powered 11" subwoofer enclosure Mounts to hub of spare tire Fiberglass cone with rubber surround Class D amplifier (200 watts RMS). it's an odd looking shallow mount woofer. From the looks of the bottom of the enclosure, it's using the loading effect of firing into the spare tire well to achieve output. I agree with Irock1985, it would round out a stock system that has no subwoofer. The entire stereo system is not up to level I like.

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
Not enough power for my taste but looks nice to round out a stock system....
It's pretty expensive though 🤷‍♂️
I don't think the price is too bad, could definitely do better going custom though.

Has anyone checked out the JBL BassPro Hub? I stumbled across it the other day. It fits inside the spare tire and takes up no cargo space. Looks like a great solution.
First time seeing one that fits into the spare, I've seen the 'spare replacement' subs. This would require removing the jack kit, and flipping the spare tire(not too obtrusive though). I have plans to use this space(spare tire hub) for the LOC/Amplifier with a custom box behind the wheel well. I took some measurements, and I should be able to fit the amp below the 'floorboard', and still have easy access to the spare if needed.;)

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
Well I got the Axxess harness but overtime at work hasn't allowed me to tinker with it and tomorrow is the day all my stuff gets installed sooooo I guess the guy will have to find a way lol 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I'm scheduled for all day plus a few hours Sunday just in case. I'll report back when it's done.

On a side note I caught a glimpse of Best Buy installer notes where they had a GS with all kinds of pics in their computer so not going in completely blind.

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
Well I got the Axxess harness but overtime at work hasn't allowed me to tinker with it and tomorrow is the day all my stuff gets installed sooooo I guess the guy will have to find a way lol 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I'm scheduled for all day plus a few hours Sunday just in case. I'll report back when it's done.

On a side note I caught a glimpse of Best Buy installer notes where they had a GS with all kinds of pics in their computer so not going in completely blind.
I have been ordering parts, and have the input/output setup so that I could bypass the amplifier until I get everything in place, but I am planning to run the speaker wires(audiopipe 9 wire) to the back. Let me/us know how they connect the positive to the battery, I took the cover off the terminal, and there are a couple terminals with different amp ratings.
I know I heard in the spare tire well.... Other than that you guys got any creative amp locations???
I'm using an old 5 channel Kicker amp, not many places to hide an amp with those dimensions, so it really depends on what you have. I had thought about putting the LOC under the seat, but that was to limit running wires/wire types. I also looked behind the center console, and nope, it isn't fitting there :LOL: I have always tried to retain 'stock' look/function when installing my audio systems, and was looking for a hatch/fastback for the open cargo space, so that is a high priority for me.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
I have been ordering parts, and have the input/output setup so that I could bypass the amplifier until I get everything in place, but I am planning to run the speaker wires(audiopipe 9 wire) to the back. Let me/us know how they connect the positive to the battery, I took the cover off the terminal, and there are a couple terminals with different amp ratings.
Yeah I saw that last week... Looks like right off of that is I good bolt to tap into before all of the fuses and whatnot. I ordered 1/0 welding cable with different sized lugs on each end so hopefully one of those is the same size as that bolt. I would have measured the bolt but I didn't feel like disconnecting the negative

I'm using an old 5 channel Kicker amp, not many places to hide an amp with those dimensions, so it really depends on what you have.

was looking for a hatch/fastback for the open cargo space, so that is a high priority for me.
I have the audio control for the doors and my old kicker for the sub but they are both Class D and not too large thankfully..

Yeah space is also a concern of mine as well especially since I'll be moving in a few months. I have no problem pulling the subs out temporarily but I'm trying to get the amps out of the way but also not on the back of the seats in case I need to load something large

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
Yeah space is also a concern of mine as well especially since I'll be moving in a few months. I have no problem pulling the subs out temporarily but I'm trying to get the amps out of the way but also not on the back of the seats in case I need to load something large
Yeah, I definitely won't install anything on the back of my seats, I am actually thinking of putting removable box fabric to protect them when I load stuff in the back. As far as the speaker box goes, I used to have a dual 12" bandpass box in one of my cars, but I have 'settled' with 'enough' low end from a single 10" low profile sub. It helps that it's in a 'hatchback' though.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
Yeah, I definitely won't install anything on the back of my seats, I am actually thinking of putting removable box fabric to protect them when I load stuff in the back. As far as the speaker box goes, I used to have a dual 12" bandpass box in one of my cars, but I have 'settled' with 'enough' low end from a single 10" low profile sub. It helps that it's in a 'hatchback' though.
Yeah my dual 12 box is from my old car.... Eventually I think I will go single 12 for the same reason (hatch) but my wife would have killed me if I spent a penny more at the moment lol

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
I'm looking at the space forward of the spare tire well under the cover. I plan on running a fan setup to keep everything cool.

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
Depending upon the final air space calculation will be my decision on what sub setup I will run. Stereo Integrity has a new 12 that looks good. Works in 0.8 sealed. I also like the LP 10 that I have in my truck. It is in 1 cu ft ported. Pretty much allows me to run a pair of either. Plan on using a LP2150 on subs.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
Depending upon the final air space calculation will be my decision on what sub setup I will run. Stereo Integrity has a new 12 that looks good. Works in 0.8 sealed. I also like the LP 10 that I have in my truck. It is in 1 cu ft ported. Pretty much allows me to run a pair of either. Plan on using a LP2150 on subs.
My subs are a good 6 years+ old so there's a lot of new goodies on the market...

Oh and currently.....

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
I'm looking at the space forward of the spare tire well under the cover. I plan on running a fan setup to keep everything cool.
This is where I have plans to put mine as well. I thought about a fan since this is all covered, where do you plan to direct the airflow to?

Oh, I also have an update...

20190629_114121.jpg
20190629_101252.jpg20190629_101259.jpg

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
I will remake the cover and add a pair of squirrel cage fans with slots through the cover. A friend of mine has a similar setup in his Escape with a false floor.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
I will remake the cover and add a pair of squirrel cage fans with slots through the cover. A friend of mine has a similar setup in his Escape with a false floor.
Doesn't seem like enough room in front of the tire unless these amps are tiny.... Or removing the tire

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
The floor of the TourX and Sportback are different. The TourX has basically a false floor in it already.
Oooooo..... Duh forgot about that lol.

In other topics I'm pissed that I didn't bring enough wire and I damn sure wasn't paying $150 ( cost of kicker amp kit they have here) just to get one 4 guage wire so I got some cheap stuff from a shop near by but will need to replace it when I get my extra 20ft of welding cable in tomorrow smh....

I had 30ft so I figured 15ft for each amp but yeah that didn't work especially since they ran power down the driver side but they are mounting the amps on the passenger side so that crossover adds like 10ft I didn't have

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
Well unfortunately there's not much that's going to help you all.

He played around with the Axxess harness for a good 45min before he gave up saying it feels like he might break something if he forces it in any further.

Had to purchase 2 things of speed wire ($60 total 😑) and he just wired it up old school.

It's getting dark now so I'll try and get some pics of everything tomorrow morning while I'm washing my car (greasy handprints everywhere lol).