Swapping factory speakers + custom sub box

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
Hi, is there a drop in (no cutting) speaker replacement that would inprove sound clarity? I don't need more bass. :)
Just replacing the speakers won't really improve sound much. You'd be better off adding a amplifier to existing speakers (assuming you don't have the factory amp) . I'd look at the mini amps like the Kicker Key180 and similar

stevie123

Buick Ownership
Buick
Just replacing the speakers won't really improve sound much. You'd be better off adding a amplifier to existing speakers (assuming you don't have the factory amp) . I'd look at the mini amps like the Kicker Key180 and similar
I have the upgraded BOSE stereo already. I'm at the age where I don't want to crawl around my car and spicing wires... If its not an easy swap, I'll have to live with what I have...

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
I have the upgraded BOSE stereo already. I'm at the age where I don't want to crawl around my car and spicing wires... If its not an easy swap, I'll have to live with what I have...
I wonder does the base model and the Bose model have the same factory speakers?

Also does anyone know the output power of that BOSE amp?

I don't have the BOSE system so I couldn't say. I will say this though that the factory speakers are well engineered (super cheap) but well engineered so to get better performance you'd have to have a custom install with FAST rings. OR a higher power system.

I'd think with the BOSE system clarity wouldn't be an issue 🤷‍♂️. I'll assume you listen to music from your phone, have you adjusted the Equalizer on your phone to try and get better results?

stevie123

Buick Ownership
Buick

I don't have the BOSE system so I couldn't say. I will say this though that the factory speakers are well engineered (super cheap) but well engineered so to get better performance you'd have to have a custom install with FAST rings. OR a higher power system.

I'd think with the BOSE system clarity wouldn't be an issue 🤷‍♂️. I'll assume you listen to music from your phone, have you adjusted the Equalizer on your phone to try and get better results?
I listen to MP3 (pop music, mostly vocals). I played with the equalizer. I also experimented with removing the sub in the trunk (added a new spare wheel in there), but the fullness of the sound was poor, so I put the sub back in and moved the tools elsewhere)... Anyway, I know the improvement would be small even if I by really good speakers, since the car has inherent noise from the engine, tires, and wind... It was worth asking.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
I listen to MP3 (pop music, mostly vocals). I played with the equalizer. I also experimented with removing the sub in the trunk (added a new spare wheel in there), but the fullness of the sound was poor, so I put the sub back in and moved the tools elsewhere)... Anyway, I know the improvement would be small even if I by really good speakers, since the car has inherent noise from the engine, tires, and wind... It was worth asking.
Yeah kinda sounds like what you really need is a DSP but those are pretty pricey and mostly made to tie into aftermarket amps 🤷‍♂️

I'm still shocked that the upgraded sound system is lacking smh....

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
I decided to go this route(Kicker Key) after realizing my current amp wasn't going to fit where I thought. I just picked it up yesterday, but OT and my over planning hasn't allowed me to set this up. I have read reviews ranging from "no longer feel the need to upgrade the stock speakers" to "no longer need a subwoofer". Of course this is all preference/vehicle specific, but I am going to install the Key and see how I feel about the need for further upgrades.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
I decided to go this route(Kicker Key) after realizing my current amp wasn't going to fit where I thought. I just picked it up yesterday, but OT and my over planning hasn't allowed me to set this up. I have read reviews ranging from "no longer feel the need to upgrade the stock speakers" to "no longer need a subwoofer". Of course this is all preference/vehicle specific, but I am going to install the Key and see how I feel about the need for further upgrades.
Definitely interested in how you feel about it... I think the Key gets lost in the sea of amps. Sound stage adjustment is a big part of getting stuff to sound nice imo so it should do well.

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
Definitely interested in how you feel about it... I think the Key gets lost in the sea of amps. Sound stage adjustment is a big part of getting stuff to sound nice imo so it should do well.
I was looking at 4 channel amps and remember you mentioning it in another thread. The compact size plus the eq/time alignment and reviews/videos were all deciding factors. It would be even better if there was bluetooth+an app to further adjust things though.

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National

While the BOSE system is better than the non-BOSE system, it still BLOWS. Yes, it does have different speakers and a higher power output via the BOSE amp. I was told that the BOSE amp is roughly 42.5 watts per channel (per someone in their shop asking Bose tech). Now they were asking about the system in a 2017 GMC Serria. I also found it odd that the BOSE speakers they removed were 8 ohm. Typically the BOSE systems had 2 ohm speakers.

Part of your problem could be the MP3 files. What rate are they saved at? Anything less than 144 (CD quality) is just not going to sound good. Also check how hi you have the volume jacked on your phone. Too high and you are feeding your BOSE system clipped input which will sound bad. I've noticed that the Bose Active Noise Cancellation raises and lower the radio volume based on speed and/or traffic noise level (another reason I'm holding out for one of the high $$ solutions that eliminate it).

I've put some Hi-Res music in FLAC and WAVE formats (both lossless) on a USB and played through the BOSE system in my TourX. Some don't sound bad (Billy Joel), most are just lacking in comparison to how I know they should sound (via home system or system in my truck). I've also played Hi-Res through my phone using Bluetooth and headphone jack and pretty much got the same results.

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
You cannot replace the head unit. No provisions for adding a CD player like in previous year models inside glove box. About the best option would be a portable using the headphone jack in the console. Too many folks using digital media so physical media (CD, DVD) have fallen out of favor.

Bingerking

South Jersey
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal TourX
You cannot replace the head unit. No provisions for adding a CD player like in previous year models inside glove box. About the best option would be a portable using the headphone jack in the console. Too many folks using digital media so physical media (CD, DVD) have fallen out of favor.
Yeh, it's a bummer...

Foxbat

Michiana
Buick Ownership
2018 Quicksilver Regal Sportback Essence AWD
A portable CD player with a Bluetooth transmitter might be one solution. Just plug it into the headphone jack, get it paired with our Regals' Infotainment system, and you should be good to go. Many affordable versions (less than $25) exist.

I saw the RHA Wireless Flight Adapter reviewed over on The Verge (I figure if you're going to get one, get one that's able to be used for multiple uses) and this one promises 16 hours of use between charges, more than enough for any road trip. But, it's brand new and double the cost of the cheaper units. It's handy that it supports two sets of headphones at the same time (nice if you're traveling with your significant other and want to share the movie on your tablet or laptop).

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
After installing this(temp setup), and trying and failing(ambient noise) multiple times to use the auto calibration, I had to return it. The power output is fine(stock speakers), but for the price I can get a 'dumb' amp with similar power for half the price. I think it may have been failing due to the center speaker but it's hard to say, as getting the 'environment'(quiet) wasn't easy(I swear the chirps got the birds to 'talk back') :LOL:

This got me looking elsewhere, but I liked the idea of calibration/time delay, so I came across the Dayton DSP-408. This has eq/time correction, but also has 6 presets you can switch(via remote/phone).

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
After installing this(temp setup), and trying and failing(ambient noise) multiple times to use the auto calibration, I had to return it. The power output is fine(stock speakers), but for the price I can get a 'dumb' amp with similar power for half the price. I think it may have been failing due to the center speaker but it's hard to say, as getting the 'environment'(quiet) wasn't easy(I swear the chirps got the birds to 'talk back') :LOL:

This got me looking elsewhere, but I liked the idea of calibration/time delay, so I came across the Dayton DSP-408. This has eq/time correction, but also has 6 presets you can switch(via remote/phone).
🤦‍♂️ Well that sucks.... Well hopefully it comes together soon

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership

The Dayton DSP is a fantastic unit for the price. Lots of features, nice interface and a great price. Beats a lot of the higher priced units.

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
🤦‍♂️ Well that sucks.... Well hopefully it comes together soon
It was nice having an amplified system(except for the chimes wtf GM?), I wanted to set things up temporarily to make sure I didn't get duds and then be outside the return window. The new parts are ordered and I've pulled my components out of my old car, so hopefully next weekend.
The Dayton DSP is a fantastic unit for the price. Lots of features, nice interface and a great price. Beats a lot of the higher priced units.
This means a lot to me coming from you(post history), so I'm happy with the changes(costs are lower as well). I am doing more research, and as you say, lots of features/customization and alternatives are pricey.