• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

"Take Steering" Alert in DIC While Using ACC/LKA Hands Free

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
For science, I decided to see just how well LKA works at highway speeds without driver input. Around town, I knew LKA is essentially a live action rendition of Pong, where the car is the ball. I was pleasantly surprised to find the car bounces around within the lane much less at higher speeds... makes sense.

Upon letting the car drift from line to line for approximately 15-20 seconds (sometimes more), I was alerted by a message in the DIC to "Take Steering". The message was accompanied by a very subtle chime. I expected the chime to be a bit more intense given the situation but it was honestly a soothing noise :unsure:

Here's what the alert looks like (in the GS anyway):
IMG_20190812_230038__02.jpg

A description of the "Take Steering" alert in the manual from an existing thread about LKA/LDW: LDW working fully?

Worth Noting
I feel obligated to say this was a stupid idea and I discourage attempts to duplicate my stupidity. I have already tried it, you don't need to. Yada yada disclaimer stuff, etc. It was late at night and there was no traffic (read: I was literally the only one in sight). I was traveling in the center lane on a divided six lane highway. My hands were "at the ready" in case the LKA system goofed. At no point was I blindly trusting the Level 2 [EDIT: Apparently not Level 2] autonomous systems. My full attention was on the road.

Last edited:

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I wonder if the white needle cars have a different system. My red needle car LKA along with the other nannys are fairly useless. The only thing that seems to work acceptably is ACC.

Hinky

Buick Ownership
Regal Tourx
I'm pleased with how not-annoying most of the alerts are. Collision detection made too many mistakes and I turned it off, but I'm in love with lane keep, adaptive cruise, and especially the cross traffic alert.

Red_X

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I wonder if the white needle cars have a different system. My red needle car LKA along with the other nannys are fairly useless. The only thing that seems to work acceptably is ACC.
What we call white-needle is the same cluster as red-needle. Guess we should be calling the the GS cluster. Those two different typefaces would trigger me.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
Worth Noting
I feel obligated to say this was a stupid idea and I discourage attempts to duplicate my stupidity. I have already tried it, you don't need to. Yada yada disclaimer stuff, etc. It was late at night and there was no traffic (read: I was literally the only one in sight). I was traveling in the center lane on a divided six lane highway. My hands were "at the ready" in case the LKA system goofed. At no point was I blindly trusting the Level 2 autonomous system. My full attention was on the road.
ACC is a level 1 autonomous system. Level 2 would be Cadillac's Super Cruise or Tesla's Autopilot.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
ACC is a level 1 autonomous system. Level 2 would be Cadillac's Super Cruise or Tesla's Autopilot.
There's a fine line between Levels 1 and 2. ACC and LKA individually are considered Level 1. When they are both used together, they are Level 2. I used this infographic from SAE International as my reference. Link
j3016-levels-of-driving-automation-12-10.jpg

landsharkmz3

If you work in the world of developing these features, you live in a world of 1+, and 2 vs 2+, and being designed for entry three, but being released at 2 with a soon to be released software update to make it 2+ while waiting for regulations to allow a 3.

It's a mess...

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Lane Keep Assist (LKA) is not the same as Lane Centering
Certainly not. Lane Centering is just an example given and since the SAE infographic doesn't call out LKA, I am not really sure where it falls. I read "These features provide steering AND brake/acceleration to support the driver" and assumed the Regal with ACC/LKA checked the boxes for Level 2.

Turns out, it's not as cut and dry as I thought it was. Great insight @landsharkmz3.

It seems as though I may be misinterpreting the information I have found. The Regal seems to be in no man's land between Level 1 and Level 2. Thanks for calling me out on it @BahamaTodd. So, what level does the Regal fall in officially?

landsharkmz3

Personally, I would call the Regal a 1+ (nothing official about that). I wanted it to be a 2. If the LKA was actually a really good lane-centering system, then I would consider it a 2.

Confusion is certainly understandable, and is prevalent. Moving through levels of automation is not a checklist, but it would be easier for us consumers to understand if it was. One of the challenges for car makers will be communicating to the driver effectively the state of the car and the required attention/interaction with the driver.

It easy enough to tell the driver if the ACC or LKA is on, but it gets harder as you move up. Level 3 is problematic. At that point, the vehicle has conditional automation. This means in certain circumstances, the driver can disengage (watch a movie, text, do makeup, etc). The problem is that level 3 relies on the driver as the backup plan when the vehicle cannot handle a situation. The hand-off from computer control to driver control is not simple. Is the driver paying attention? are they ready? Do they understand their surroundings? That hand-off may need to happen faster than a user can get ready to be in control. Some have stated that Level 3 should not be allowed. That disengaging should only be allowed at L4 where the car is its own fail-safe backup plan.

PublicSectorTech

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick TourX Essence
Level 3 definitely should NOT be allowed. As the old cliche goes, "When everyone's in charge of something, no one's in charge of something." The autonomous vehicle with "safety driver" that hit/killed a woman in Phoenix not that long ago proves that.

Foxbat

Michiana
Buick Ownership
2018 Quicksilver Regal Sportback Essence AWD
I tried this the other day in my wife's red-needle Essence with DC1 & DC2. At posted speed limit, the Regal drifted to the edge of the lane, corrected away from the lane marker, and eventually drifted to the other side, at which time it corrected away from that lane marker. Like Jack GS noted, after 30 or so seconds of that the system chimed and a message appeared in the DIC telling me to take the steering wheel. I'm sure the electric steering can sense no resistance to changes it is making in steering, triggering the safety nanny. I think the early attempts by Tesla drivers to get around these limitations involved adding weights to the steering wheel.

To CMA, do not attempt this yourself! Pay attention while you're the Driver in Command.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Give me level 4 preferably 5... anything less can involve driver error, like sleeping.
PS I need driver controls please..... I still want to drive when not napping.

carsrmilife

Brighton, MI
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Interesting to see this will give the message. I had tried a couple of times, but I guess it didn't ping pong enough or go long enough to trigger it. Likely an "If statement" in the coding.

I do miss how well the lane centering work in the Civic. Although I like that the Buick system takes curves better and wont try to accelerate when taking a pretty good curve.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
I tried the similar test on my 1995 Buick lesabre and received this notification, I guess do to the fact that it's at level 0.
download.jpeg

While the concepts of the tools to help driving are all very helpful, it's still the human interface that will be required. Remember these are the same folks who put in the Infotainment system, kinda puts your mind at ease lol.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
Once automotive automation hits level 4, I'm guessing the need for a driver's license may go the way of the mimeograph machine. But the lower levels reek of 'wonderful theory, wrong species'.

Pedal Commander