• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Tapping into rear view mirror to install radar detector

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Preferred
I ordered a Uniden R3 radar detector and a rear view mirror cable harness tap to power it. Seeing as how our cars have so little information out about them, I put the install off for a solid week thinking it was going to be a PITA, but I can't believe how smooth the whole process went! I swear Buick had this install in mind when designing the rear view mirror on our cars! I simply popped the middle piece out of the rear view mirror bezel, which gave me access to the wire harness, then I taped some paper clips onto the ends of my multimeter so I could stick them into the female end of the connector in search of 12v, and luckily I only had to test 3 possible wires, as there's only 3 wires populating the 10 wire connector (different trim options might have more wires populating the harness). Once I found 12v, it was just a matter of tapping the appropriate wires then putting everything back together.

If you want to do something similar, just point your mirror all the way down, and that middle section that looks like it's cut out in they grey bezel piece just pops out with light pressure from the top. Once you pop that piece out, you have direct access to the wire harness. Unplug it, and slide the black (negative) wire tap into the black/purple wire, and the red (positive) wire taps into the purple/black wire. If your rear view mirror tap has large and small tap options like mine did, cut off or use the provided caps to cover the unused taps, then zip tie it all together. Plug the connector back in, then carefully stuff any excess cable into the available space and run the cable out of the very top of the bezel where it won't be pinched once you snap the middle piece back in place. Now you can run the cable down and out the side of the bezel to whatever spot you feel best suites the install you're going for. Make sure you choose a tap that includes an in-line fuse to protect your detector/cars electronics.

Now I just have to wait for the BlendMount Radar Detector Mount to arrive, and the install will look like I took it to a shop to have it professionally done (and no law enforcement officer can claim it's illegally installed as it won't be fixed directly to the windshield).

IMG_2209.JPG
IMG_2204.JPG
IMG_2202.JPG
IMG_2207.JPG
IMG_2208.JPG

If you want to do something similar and need any help, let me know!

Attachments

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal TourX
Thank you! I have been considering installing a dashcam but have been dreading the wiring piece of it. Sounds like I don't need to worry.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
How does it work with stop/start?

When I direct wired V1 to fuse box I had to add a V1 BOB to keep power uninterrupted.

Buick Ownership
How does it work with stop/start?

When I direct wired V1 to fuse box I had to add a V1 BOB to keep power uninterrupted.
Doesn't affect it. I didn't think about that being a possible problem until I went for the first test drive, but it stays on just fine.

Buick Ownership
Thank you! I have been considering installing a dashcam but have been dreading the wiring piece of it. Sounds like I don't need to worry.
Yeah, it should be a breeze. I'm pretty sure I've seen similar rear view mirror taps for specific dash cam vendors as well. If you have a choice, choose a tap with smaller blades for the taps. You could probably even modify an existing hard-wired connector pretty easy as well, if it's designed to plug into a fuse box, just modify the ends with these tap style connectors and you should be good to go!

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I took my 20 year old Valentine1 out of my laid up for cold weather 03 Cobra and installed it tin the TourX With DC! package.

There is a low level Radar signal coming from the tourX, so it beeps slowly. Other than a new Radar, I wonder if there is anything I can do to shut it up other than turn off the volume?

If I get a new detector, will it work in the TourX?

Idano

Buick Ownership
Tourx
I took my 20 year old Valentine1 out of my laid up for cold weather 03 Cobra and installed it tin the TourX With DC! package.

There is a low level Radar signal coming from the tourX, so it beeps slowly. Other than a new Radar, I wonder if there is anything I can do to shut it up other than turn off the volume?

I'll assume the radar emitted comes from the ACC, does turning off the ACC stop the radar signal ?
That brings up the possibility of installing a radar jammer that you can claim is just the radar connected to the ACC.

pek

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Any idea if that tap would support both radar detector & dashcam? Switched is ok, don't care about "bump" (at least now). It would save pulling trim pieces off and a lot of cables hanging around.

Buick Ownership
I ordered a Uniden R3 radar detector and a rear view mirror cable harness tap to power it. Seeing as how our cars have so little information out about them, I put the install off for a solid week thinking it was going to be a PITA, but I can't believe how smooth the whole process went! I swear Buick had this install in mind when designing the rear view mirror on our cars! I simply popped the middle piece out of the rear view mirror bezel, which gave me access to the wire harness, then I taped some paper clips onto the ends of my multimeter so I could stick them into the female end of the connector in search of 12v, and luckily I only had to test 3 possible wires, as there's only 3 wires populating the 10 wire connector (different trim options might have more wires populating the harness). Once I found 12v, it was just a matter of tapping the appropriate wires then putting everything back together.

If you want to do something similar, just point your mirror all the way down, and that middle section that looks like it's cut out in they grey bezel piece just pops out with light pressure from the top. Once you pop that piece out, you have direct access to the wire harness. Unplug it, and slide the black (negative) wire tap into the black/purple wire, and the red (positive) wire taps into the purple/black wire. If your rear view mirror tap has large and small tap options like mine did, cut off or use the provided caps to cover the unused taps, then zip tie it all together. Plug the connector back in, then carefully stuff any excess cable into the available space and run the cable out of the very top of the bezel where it won't be pinched once you snap the middle piece back in place. Now you can run the cable down and out the side of the bezel to whatever spot you feel best suites the install you're going for. Make sure you choose a tap that includes an in-line fuse to protect your detector/cars electronics.

Now I just have to wait for the BlendMount Radar Detector Mount to arrive, and the install will look like I took it to a shop to have it professionally done (and no law enforcement officer can claim it's illegally installed as it won't be fixed directly to the windshield).

IMG_2209.JPG
IMG_2204.JPG
IMG_2202.JPG
IMG_2207.JPG
IMG_2208.JPG

If you want to do something similar and need any help, let me know!
MAJOR CORRECTION! I just realized I made a mistake in my original comment when I was stating what color wire you tap the negative wire into. It's the black/YELLOW wire. The positive wire taps into the black/purple wire. I must have copied and pasted black/purple in both spots as I revised the comment before posting it. Oops.

Last edited:

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
MAJOR CORRECTION! I just realized I made a mistake in my original comment when I was stating what color wire you tap the negative wire into. It's the black/YELLOW wire. The positive wire taps into the black/purple wire. I must have copied and pasted black/purple in both spots as I revised the comment before posting it. Oops.

Please consider editing/correcting your original post (good catch on the error!).

Nice write-up, BTW.

Buick Ownership
Please consider editing/correcting your original post (good catch on the error!).

Nice write-up, BTW.
I didn't see an edit option under my original post, so I figured it timed out or something. What's the best way to do that?

Buick Ownership

I just looked through the Valentines programming options, and it looks like they don't allow you to filter out specific frequencies. That's one of the reasons I didn't go for a Valentine, It's still a solid choice, but they've started sliding when it comes to modern features, and false alert filtering is a major one. Any good modern detector will filter out a good percentage of false reports from ACC and other radar emitting systems. My old system would always hit on them and it became really annoying. Luckily it read the signal down to the third decimal point so I eventually just memorized which frequency meant what.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I just looked through the Valentines programming options, and it looks like they don't allow you to filter out specific frequencies. That's one of the reasons I didn't go for a Valentine, It's still a solid choice, but they've started sliding when it comes to modern features, and false alert filtering is a major one. Any good modern detector will filter out a good percentage of false reports from ACC and other radar emitting systems. My old system would always hit on them and it became really annoying. Luckily it read the signal down to the third decimal point so I eventually just memorized which frequency meant what.
So after observing this behavior a bit more. I suspect it is the rear cross lane alert, because when I'm riding in open terrain, often no false signal, but drive in confined spaces, beep, beep, buzz. Oh well. Driving in traffic, other newer cars set it off also.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I didn't see an edit option under my original post, so I figured it timed out or something. What's the best way to do that?
If there is no edit option in the bottom left of the post (next to the report bottom) then it looks like you're out of luck.

Thanks again for the detail, I've considered hardwiring a RD myself but unsure of hanging options. I currently stow it in the dual cup holder area and place it on the dash (anti-slip pad) above the DIC when in use.

Buick Ownership
If there is no edit option in the bottom left of the post (next to the report bottom) then it looks like you're out of luck.

Thanks again for the detail, I've considered hardwiring a RD myself but unsure of hanging options. I currently stow it in the dual cup holder area and place it on the dash (anti-slip pad) above the DIC when in use.
Get the BlendMount BNR-2000R! Hands down the best radar detector mount on the market. There’s other less expensive rear view mirror mounts, but a lot of reviews say they start sagging or loosening up over time. Mine just came the other day and I love it. Combined with the rear view mirror cable harness tap, I couldn’t be happier. AE883368-5B48-43B8-AC03-7BA1CF37336E.jpeg5810A61A-1EF2-48E5-95C2-89C947FDDEBB.jpegA33C16CE-B89F-41C9-99D6-C774EC67E410.jpeg

Pedal Commander