Tell us about your Buick Regal!

KingBuick

Washington, DC
Buick Ownership
2008 Volvo S60 2.5T
On this thread, you can discuss about the Regal which you have owned or still own. You can talk about all the details of the model, and it can be any of the model years, from the '80s to 2005, and even the upcoming 2011 Regal CXL!

My family used to have a 1995 Regal Custom (base trim level) in a Crimson Metallic colour. It was a very smooth car, and it was a very great car for long road trips. It had grey cloth seats, but it felt really comfortable.

We got the Regal from my grandparents, who got it new back in 1994-1995. They got it at a local dealer which doesn't exist anymore, called the American Service Centre. There is only one American Service Centre now, and they only have Mercedes Benz vehicles.

In early January of 2007, after driving back from New York City for New Year's Eve, the Regal had a weird clunking sound in it. My mom freaked out about it, and so we traded it in for a newer car, which is the 2002 Volvo S60 base.

The 2002 Volvo S60 base is the car we have now. It's got just over 100,000 miles on it, which is only the beggining for a Volvo.

Anyway, that's my story. Anyone else want to share?

KingBuick.

Bushwack

Los Angeles
Buick Ownership
Two 1990 Reattas
Back in 2000, I bought a fully loaded Regal GS. At the time, I felt it was the best value available and public sentiment was strongly pro-american. Paid $22,500 (I negotiated the price down to $25,000, GM had a $2,000 rebate and I had a coupon for another $500 off). A loaded Maxima at the time would have cost $26,700. I sold the car six years later because from 2004-2006, I experienced too many electrical issues (replaced ABS system twice, A/C shorted out, bad window motors, etc.). Mechanically, the car was great. The electrical...such a disappointment.

Also a disappointment was I couldn't sell the car! Advertised heavily for three months and only one nibble. Ended up selling the car (fixed all the electrical, 59,000 miles and the interior/exterior was immaculate) to CarMax for (gulp) $4,500.

On the flip side, I followed the whereabouts of the car. Went to different auctions from L.A. to Arizona, Colorado and Texas). Car was finally registered 14 months later to a private party in Seattle with 59,900 miles on odometer. She paid $4,000 for the car from a corner lot and the car was painted black (it was silver). Can't figure out why it needed painting unless it fell off a car carrier.

Not sure I'd buy another new domestic car. At least not yet. The LaCrosse looks interesting but now that I drive a (trouble free) Lexus, even Cadillac luxury has taken a back seat.

KingBuick

Washington, DC
Buick Ownership
2008 Volvo S60 2.5T
Back in 2000, I bought a fully loaded Regal GS. At the time, I felt it was the best value available and public sentiment was strongly pro-american. Paid $22,500 (I negotiated the price down to $25,000, GM had a $2,000 rebate and I had a coupon for another $500 off). A loaded Maxima at the time would have cost $26,700. I sold the car six years later because from 2004-2006, I experienced too many electrical issues (replaced ABS system twice, A/C shorted out, bad window motors, etc.). Mechanically, the car was great. The electrical...such a disappointment.

Also a disappointment was I couldn't sell the car! Advertised heavily for three months and only one nibble. Ended up selling the car (fixed all the electrical, 59,000 miles and the interior/exterior was immaculate) to CarMax for (gulp) $4,500.

On the flip side, I followed the whereabouts of the car. Went to different auctions from L.A. to Arizona, Colorado and Texas). Car was finally registered 14 months later to a private party in Seattle with 59,900 miles on odometer. She paid $4,000 for the car from a corner lot and the car was painted black (it was silver). Can't figure out why it needed painting unless it fell off a car carrier.

Not sure I'd buy another new domestic car. At least not yet. The LaCrosse looks interesting but now that I drive a (trouble free) Lexus, even Cadillac luxury has taken a back seat.
Very nice story. We tried to sell our Regal Custom back in 2004 before we went abroad for a year. We had 2 cars back then, a Toyota Tercel Ce and the Buick Regal Custom. The Toyota sold almost instantly, but no one bought the Regal Custom!

We just kept it untill a few years ago, as I mentioned before.

Again, very nice story. Anyone else?

KingBuick.

struckendeaf21

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I started with a 93 buick lesabre. Got it for 400 bucks and it was worth every penny. The struts were completely gone, so it road like a boat in a thunderstorm, paint was starting to oxidize, and the underbody was nothing more then rust. good thing is it had mostly plastic body panels so rust didnt show =D. I totalled against a jeep grand cherokee trying to get into taco bell at 3am.

drove an 88 bonneville after that till a few months ago I picked up a 2000 buick regal LS for 900 bucks. minor problems, and the body was almost flawless. Has everything but heated seats, and a supercharger. Its even got a spoiler, witch i found interesting since i've never seen one with it, i assume its stock since the previous owner didnt care about what it looked like.

At the moment, im looking to pick up a 2000-2004 regal gsx, but i'd settle for a gs. Got some big plans for tasteful body mods, and engine mods. Thats my story =P

tfntrumpet

Buick Newbie
South Chicagoland
Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Regal Custom 3800
Ive got a 95 Regal Custom in Blue. Picked her up last August for $700 with 130xxx on the odometer all i had to replace when i bought it was the starter and that only ran me $50, its been the only car in our household since then and i use it to commute 70 miles to and from school each day and she is still running strong with just over 150xxx. The only major problem Ive had was last month the water pump went out and broke the serpentine belt but after a new pump and belt and topping off the coolant shes back to her beautiful running condition. She has some cosmetic issues and some rusting but i love this car. Within the next few months im probably going to buy an import to save on gas but still keep the regal for when i have to drive my family everywhere.

*Update*
A/C Compressor was about to seize up last weekend so i installed a bypass pulley and it seems like shes running better than ever, beat up a F150 lightning the other day.

Last edited:

Benny

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GranSport Coupe (1992)
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/enzo213/cherona.jpg
There she is, my '92 GS.

I feel a little bit embarassed posting a pic of her from when I was younger, at the time I had dual exhausts on her with WAY-too-big stainless mufflers, and some 5-spoked wheels.
I've grown up since then, and now she's back to factory exhaust and stock wheels. One side effect that I do appreciate from my younger days tweaking is that I installed lowering springs in the front, supposed 1.8" drop. I really do enjoy how they make her sit and look now. The company they were from was called Suspension Techniques.. I would doubt they'd still be around, but stranger things have happened.
These regals have a hint of muscle-car look, and I love it.

I bought her about 13 years ago used with 58k on the clock. She's up to 128k now, and looking just as good as the day I bought her, with a little age showing in the quarter-panels, but that will be fixed up next spring. :D

Best damned car I've ever owned, and when asked if I want a new car I think-
What, and trade in Cherona? ARE YOU MAD?! Some day she'll be parked next to a Turbo-T.